Advice Request herdProtect when it will be available for download? Any info?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anker_by

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2015
Yes I hear about that the scan process is slow. But is only for testing.

Reactions: AtlBo

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
The Developer of Heard started another project quite some time ago called Reason Core Security, it absorbed Heard and Unchecky into it the last I knew, I have not looked into it for some time.
Download - Reason Core Security
this one? looks like it, doesn't say anything about the lot of engines but has stuff about unchecky like features.

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Download - Reason Core Security
this one? looks like it, doesn't say anything about the lot of engines but has stuff about unchecky like features.
That is the one, both products developed by Andrew Newman.

About - Reason Core Security

I dug around a little, it seems they have updated the Herd Protect page which used to have an "about" with Andrew Newmans name as well. The website has been updated to 2017. I had tested Reason Core security sometime back and used to keep Herd Protect around on hand just for its file analysis tools. I had discovered a network connection issue with the cloud portion of Reason Core while testing in VMware, that he was able to reproduce, and the last I had heard, he was working on correcting that, but he had stated that Reason Core security had incorporated "Unchecky", "should I remove it" "Boost" and "Herd Protect".

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The last I heard - Herd Protect is being deprecated and moved to Reason Core Security. There isn't any reason for a new version of HP, so if you can find it, get a copy and save it. It's basically a VT uploader that includes their home brew Core Security Engine. Since there is no license check built in you in theory could run it forever without the author having any revenue stream.

Reactions: GonzitoVir

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have used it and recommend it. It's like running VirusTotal through your computer. But, it only scratches the surface compared to Zemana or Malwarebytes. You will definitely need another 2nd opinion scanner for deeper analysis (certificates, browser extensions, plugins, etc).

To me, the scanning time is not too bad. Yes it could be better, but it's not Windows-Defender-bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.