Not open for further replies.

Faybert

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Mozilla plans to release Firefox 58.0.2 to the stable channel in the next 24-hour period. The new version of the browser fixes two crash issues, a signature issue on Mac OS X devices, and issues on Microsoft's Hotmail and Outlook web mail service.

The new version of Firefox updates the release channel of the web browser. It is the second minor update following the release of Firefox 58.0 which was released on January 22, 2018.

Firefox 58.0.1 patched a critical security issue in version 58.0 and a blank page load issue on Windows for certain security configurations.

Firefox users can run a manual check for updates in the browser with a click on Menu > Help > About Firefox. Firefox should pick up the release (as soon as it is released officially), and download and install the update automatically on the system.

Firefox 58.0.2
firefox-58.0.2.jpg

Firefox 58.0.2 is another minor release for the release channel. It fixes two crash issues in the browser:

• Blocklisted graphics drivers related to off main thread painting crashes
  • Tab crash during printing
Firefox users who ran into these issues may want to update the browser asap to resolve the issues.

The new stable version of Firefox addresses two additional issues. The first addresses an issue on Mac OS X systems where updates to the browser may lead to signature issues sometimes.

The second fixes "clicking links and scrolling emails" on Microsoft's Hotmail and Outlook web mail services.

It is not uncommon to release minor updates after major browser updates. Two common purposes of minor updates are to fix security issues and stability issues in the browser.

We will update the article when the official release notes are published by Mozilla. It is not uncommon that they list other changes that preliminary release notes don't cover.

The next major Firefox stable release is expected on March 13, 2018 according to the current Firefox release schedule.

Source: Here is what is new and changed in Firefox 58.0.2 - gHacks Tech News

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I really wish that they fix the font rendering. I'd like to use it so bad... :confused:
A fix for bad font rendering (self.firefox)
on reddit.com: A fix for bad font rendering • r/firefox

submitted 3 months ago by freetux Chrome

I'm on Windows 8.1 and Firefox Beta is really nice. One thing I observed is that on some pages like Facebook, for example, the fonts look like crap. I'm not going to talk too much about this, I'll leave the fix here.

Go to about:config, search for gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_max_size and change the value to 6. It should be 15 by default.
Good day! :)

...and two first responses:

nigelinux Nightly | Ubuntu Mate, Windows 10 3 points 3 months ago*

It's great! Font rendering on Windows in general is really bad compared to, say, Ubuntu. I previously used GDI+ then MacType, but upgrading to Windows 10 rendered the latter unusable (though there seems to be update but I don't bother re-setup).

So my "solution" was using violentmonkey to replace those bad fonts (e.g. Arial) with something better (e.g. Cabin). It didn't always work as sometimes elements of the web page loaded differently and the bad font were not replaced.

Your suggestion however works very well! Now I can ditch violentmonkey as the font replacing script is the only script I use.

• theziofede 3 points 3 months ago

You can achieve the same results by deleting the string of gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families , but I suppose since fonts smaller than 7 are rare enough it wouldn't matter much.

Anyway what firefox does is using the GDI style for those font families with fonts smaller than 15 (no idea what the unit of measurement is), because in the firefox 4 era people complained the directwrite style was blurry for such small fonts. Frankly after I set my own parameters with the cleartype tuner on Windows, I very much prefer every font with the directwrite style, especially since the kerning is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.