Here we go again.... Chrome to not allow full-scale adblockers

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've used FF & Opera & just about every other browser, though maybe Opera will be included in the plans of Chrome? - I cant't help finding Chrome is the best by a fair margin, for me it's smoother, slicker & shows its had lots of work spent on it. After the helpful guide on setting up uBlock/nano advanced user things are really snappy on some sites laden with IMO unnecessary trackers etc. If advertisers/sites were even half (10%) reasonable I could live without a blocker but they aren't (and never will be) plus malware issues. After spending time setting up uBlock I'm a bit miffed about Chromes plans - Time will tell I suppose, in my experience of the web over 20+ years most issues get overcome, hopefully this will - I've tried stamping my feet if that helps? :eek:

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I hope MS will retain the adblocking capabilities Chrome will remove... but who am I kidding :unsure:
Will have to go back to Firefox when it happens. Or Brave. Both more resource hog than Chrome or Edge in my experience.
Meanwhile I used EdgeHTML Edge for a while and it was better than I previously gave it credit for. If only MS wasn't too late on the game. RIP

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
I use AdGuard desktop app so I can bypass that all these nonsense restrictions anyway... Although, I've been thinking about switching browsers for a long time though (and to get rid of Google services as much as I can). The new Edge Chromium browser seems a decent alternative, also I like Opera, Vivaldi and Firefox. Since Firefox works on all operating systems I use (including Linux) I may have to go back to Firefox. I have started to dislike Google as a company in many ways, they are starting to remind me of the old Microsoft back in late 1990's and early 2000's.

Reactions: Kubla

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018

I've tried various browsers and always go back to Chrome.

But this... if correct... will make me be DONE with Chrome.

I'll standby for comment from a few key people here to learn more...

View attachment 214339
All Chromium based products will be affected by this policy, because the changes will come from Chromium.Projects slave chefs i think this included in Brave.Browser also. This strategies born in revenge against the people privacy & the freedom of expression, only for tormenting those who don't like their antics, to the critics of their grotesque changes, the people who opt to have complete list of flags & abuddance of configurability.
Tubal_Cane_Cut_Out__19440.1440778253.490.588.jpg
3HzSSLN.jpg

Illuminati-rule.jpg
Sigil-of-Google.gif

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I installed Firefox yesterday and I was surprised how heavy it is. Firefox used between 2000-2500MB in memory and with same tabs open in Chrome, Chrome used about 600-800MB. I researched to find a solution but that didn't worked out. Now I'm back with Chrome with AdGuard for Windows installed. Will this effect the new policy or not? Anyone know how to fix Firefox for using less memory?

Btw I have a pretty strong PC. Ryzen 1700X with 32GB 3200Mhz RAM. I know my PC will run Firefox without a problem but in my opinion it's just too much memory for a browser to use.

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
I installed Firefox yesterday and I was surprised how heavy it is. Firefox used between 2000-2500MB in memory and with same tabs open in Chrome, Chrome used about 600-800MB. I researched to find a solution but that didn't worked out. Now I'm back with Chrome with AdGuard for Windows installed. Will this effect the new policy or not? Anyone know how to fix Firefox for using less memory?

Btw I have a pretty strong PC. Ryzen 1700X with 32GB 3200Mhz RAM. I know my PC will run Firefox without a problem but in my opinion it's just too much memory for a browser to use.

AdGuard desktop app should be able to circumvent these restrictions. This restriction only applies to adblocker browser extensions.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019

You have 32GB RAM and complain about 2GB being used? Yikes. With Firefox, Tor and Discord open I'm using 2.2GB of RAM but that's Linux for you :p

You could try it without AdGuard for Windows, if you had no extensions then that's the only thing I can think of. If you had Firefox installed previously remnants could be left behind and you could reset it. Oh, and if you like speed, turn WebRender on... it's beautiful.

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
It's first time i installed Firefox, so no left overs. I installed AdGuard extension and a gmail notification extension, that isn't much. By the time i tried Firefox i didn't had AdGuard for Windows installed. I guess the browser is heavy and that's how it works.

But I must admit how smooth and slick AdGuard for Windows is. It's really memory-friendly (25MB). It's been long time since i used their software and they have made a really solid product.

Reactions: Dex4Sure

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

Strange. I use Firefox too but even with more than 20 tabs open the ramn usage never crossed 2gb for me. Besides what's the point of having 32 gb ram if it's not being used!!! People are generally over concerned about ram usage whether it's Chrome, Firefox or even Android operating system.

We need to be BRAVE against Chrome tyrannical monopoly
Brave is not without it's controversy. I'm not a fan of Brave at all. Still, Firefox is the best defense against Chrome's monopoly.
Check this articles:

One: Brave browser is collecting donations on your behalf — did you know? - The Block

Two: Brave Browser Comes Under Fire From Monero’s Lead Dev Regarding Centralization -- Can BAT Remain Above the $0.12 Support Level?

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I use AdGuard desktop app so I can bypass that all these nonsense restrictions anyway... Although, I've been thinking about switching browsers for a long time though (and to get rid of Google services as much as I can). The new Edge Chromium browser seems a decent alternative, also I like Opera, Vivaldi and Firefox. Since Firefox works on all operating systems I use (including Linux) I may have to go back to Firefox. I have started to dislike Google as a company in many ways, they are starting to remind me of the old Microsoft back in late 1990's and early 2000's.

Adguard Desktop or BlackFog Desktop for that matter should make whatever changes Google makes to Chrome's ads irrelevant.

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015

You can try Firemin to reduce Firefox memory usage.

L

Local Host

Strange. I use Firefox too but even with more than 20 tabs open the ramn usage never crossed 2gb for me. Besides what's the point of having 32 gb ram if it's not being used!!! People are generally over concerned about ram usage whether it's Chrome, Firefox or even Android operating system.

Brave is not without it's controversy. I'm not a fan of Brave at all. Still, Firefox is the best defense against Chrome's monopoly.
Check this articles:

One: Brave browser is collecting donations on your behalf — did you know? - The Block

Two: Brave Browser Comes Under Fire From Monero’s Lead Dev Regarding Centralization -- Can BAT Remain Above the $0.12 Support Level?
Funny cause Firefox has as much controversy due to last updates that take user choice and disregard user privacy, there's also the fact Firefox been supporting Google somewhat and following their policies (Firefox is using Google Extension Manifest).

All of those companies, Google, Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi, rely on ads. So my choice is Microsoft that doesn't need ads to sustain themselves, they get the majorly of their money from professional clients while selling their services, software and hardware.

I honestly not defending Brave in anyway, cause I find them extremely shady.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
So my choice is Microsoft that doesn't need ads to sustain themselves

I'm coming to the same conclusion as more info comes out about all these browsers. They all need to make money to survive, so the question is how..

In minor defense of Firefox, it's donationware and doesn't rely strictly on ads and data mining for revenue.

I have no ax to grind with FF either. I think their isolation containers extension for tabs is a great idea, and I used it along with Edge on my last laptop. I didn't install it on my new one as I'm using Edge Dev. And I was mainly using the old Edge until the Chromium version came out. In the end, for me it comes down to the fact that I really only use one browser.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
In minor defense of Firefox, it's donationware and doesn't rely strictly on ads and data mining for revenue.

View attachment 214415

Not exactly, almost all revenue of Mozilla is made from the search deal with Google.

L

Local Host

Softpedia is a BIAS website, is the reason I stopped reading news there (they hate Windows and Microsoft), they constantly make nonlogical articles just to bash Microsoft/Windows.

Cause lets be honest, that comparison makes no sense whasoever, if we consider Microsoft Edge (Chromium) is not even out yet, it's still under heavy development (most casual users don't even know about it).

When it actually releases and comes bundled with Windows 10, we'll talk then (on top of the media exposure will hopefully get, unless the media go all BIAS and spread misinformation and hate like they did with Windows 10).

Not that it matters, I couldn't care less about what others use, I sure as well I'm going to use Edge.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.