Here's how fake telephone tech support scams work

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Interested in finding out how fake telephone tech support scams work? Well, grab a cup or glass of your favorite beverage, and prepare to be educated, entertained, and horrified.
Chances are that you or someone you know has gotten a call from someone claiming to be from "Windows technical support" phoning up to tell you that you "computer has a virus" and offering to remove it for you - for a fee.

See also: What's the best and worst browser for Windows 10?

Now I don't know about you, but I've never had the time (or patience) to play along, so I've always been curious to find out how the conversation pans out.

Well, if you're interested in finding out what happens, grab a cup or glass of your favorite beverage, fire up YouTube, and prepare to be educated, entertained, and horrified.

Troy Hunt, security expert, Microsoft Regional Director and MVP, and the brains behind the Have I been pwned? data breach service, takes the time to show us exactly what happens.

Full Article. Here's how fake telephone tech support scams work | ZDNet

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have drug out and lead on so many of these callers that honestly I think I am on a blacklist somewhere
telling them to avoid calling me :) They are fun to play with, but yes dangerous for the beginner or novice
to their tactics.
Awesome share FrOg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.