Here's How to Enable Chrome "Strict Site Isolation" Experimental Security Mode

Will you enable Chrome "Strict Site Isolation" Experimental Security Mode?

• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I've already enabled this mode

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Google Chrome 63, which shipped yesterday evening, arrived with a new experimental feature called Strict Site Isolation that according to Google engineers is an additional security layer on top of Chrome's built-in sandboxing technology.

While Google engineers have not explained the intricate differences between the default Chrome sandbox and Site Isolation, according to Google, the Strict Site Isolation feature puts "even stronger security boundaries between websites than Chrome’s existing sandboxing technology."

This is how Google describes the Strict Site Isolation feature in a support page:

Google’s site isolation feature improves security for Chrome browser users. When you enable site isolation, content for each open website in the Chrome browser is always rendered in a dedicated process, isolated from other sites. This creates an additional security boundary between websites.

The feature is not enabled for all users by default. The reason is that Google is still working on improving Site Isolation, and says that if users turn it on in Chrome 63, they "will increase memory usage by approximately 10–20%."

If this is not an issue for some of our readers, these are the two easiest ways to enable Site Isolation right now.

The Site Isolation feature is part of a larger set of features Google included in Chrome 63 specifically for its enterprise userbase. The other new enterprise-friendly Chrome features are:

Domain admins can now whitelist or blacklist Chrome extensions based on the permissions they require. For example, a domain admin can issue a company-wide group policy to block all Chrome extensions that ask for the webcam permission during their installation and all of the company's Chrome browsers will refuse to install such extensions.
◈ Chrome 63 now supports the latest TLS 1.3 standard, which will be enabled for all outgoing connections.
◈ Chrome 63 supports the NTLMv2 authentication protocol.

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Thanks, but i have already enabled it :)
Screenshot (18).png

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I have it on for a while now. Every few months i go in flags and browse to see what they put there and if they have anything interesting. If i find something interesting i enable it and keep it on if it doesn't break something.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have it on for a while now. Every few months i go in flags and browse to see what they put there and if they have anything interesting. If i find something interesting i enable it and keep it on if it doesn't break something.
Besides site isolation, what other interesting and non-breaking things did you find in there?
I know a lot of people like to enable appcontainer, for instance.

Reactions: AtlBo and SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Besides site isolation, what other interesting and non-breaking things did you find in there?
I know a lot of people like to enable appcontainer, for instance.
Security wise i only have appcontainer and site isolation. Rest is for networking and ease of use.

D

Deleted member 65228

Sure does. You might even say it is obvious. But I still didn't figure it out until I saw it on a different forum. At first, I just said "Stupid Google," and disabled the flag.
I don't understand why websites break but then bookmarking it will stop it. To me that makes zero sense. I assume you are being sarcastic but if you are dead serious then do let me know why this is

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I don't understand why websites break but then bookmarking it will stop it. To me that makes zero sense. I assume you are being sarcastic but if you are dead serious then do let me know why this is
I don't remember the explanation I saw online, but at the time it made sense to me.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
On memory usage, I can recommend an extension called The Great Suspender. This is one of my favorite extensions. It deactivates tabs that haven't been used within a user prescribed (settings) amount of time. You can also set pinned tabs or certain sites to always be available and then also for tabs to open automatically without a second click when a suspended site's tab is clicked.

With Google Strict Site Isolation enabled, maybe adding TGS could be a way to mitigate some of the memory issues. I don't have time to test this for now, but I already use The Great Suspender. I will probably wait for Google to improve this idea before trying the concept in Chrome...

Last edited:
Reactions: shmu26

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
paste this on tthe address bar

chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process
activated here in Opera to test, the most notable drawback is that enabling this feature can lead to increased memory and resource usage.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Got around to enabling this setting. After a couple of hours of heavy use not immediately seeing the RAM usage dark side.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.