HiBit Uninstaller Thread (changelogs and discussion)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Probably the reason why it's always recommended to remove Antivirus installs only with their original uninstaller. I believe uninstalling an antivirus with any uninstaller (more specifically using advanced scans) other than their original uninstaller/windows uninstaller must be used with extreme caution. This is possibly because of serious false positives that are bound to happen due to large number of registry entries an antivirus might interact with.

Hope this isn't the case with regular software uninstalls, at least from my testing. Finally maybe the new installation monitoring feature needs to mature, and it could happen in due time.
I just did another test. On the same computer, I monitored the install of Free Office. After uninstalling it, HiBit only found leftovers from Free Office.

I've had no issues when using Total Uninstall to uninstall antiviruses. In theory, it shouldn't matter what software is being monitored, as HiBit is using snapshots of the system, rather than actually monitoring what changes happen to the system, which is IObit and Comodo Programs Manager do.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If there are issues with monitor installs, how safe can we assume the normal clean up after uninstall is fine? its ok to have a few entries to delete and that you can manually review, but if there are over 30 leftovers, I highly doubt someone will actively go over one by one, specially if you use the feature from HiBit which allows multiple installs in one go...

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If there are issues with monitor installs, how safe can we assume the normal clean up after uninstall is fine? its ok to have a few entries to delete and that you can manually review, but if there are over 30 leftovers, I highly doubt someone will actively go over one by one, specially if you use the feature from HiBit which allows multiple installs in one go...
The issue was only due to the monitoring. The files and registry keys which were wrongly listed as leftovers had no relation at all to the program I had just uninstalled. For example, they did not have have file names there were similar to that of the uninstalled program.

When I uninstalled the antivirus again, without using monitoring, it only found a single trace and it was a leftover from the antivirus. I batch uninstalled nine apps (which hadn't been monitored) a few days ago and there was not even a single false positive. Having said that, it's important to check what any uninstaller wants to delete, as pretty much all uninstallers which scan for leftovers, will occasionally have issues with false positives.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@HiBitSoftware could you advise on the bug fixes?

updated HiBit Uninstaller.

One thing i noticed, if I have the HiBit window on focus, I cannot use Greenshot to take a selection screenshot, i have to unfocus it

2020-09-11 20_36_28-Window.png

HiBitSoftware

Level 1
Sep 1, 2020
@HiBitSoftware could you advise on the bug fixes?

updated HiBit Uninstaller.

One thing i noticed, if I have the HiBit window on focus, I cannot use Greenshot to take a selection screenshot, i have to unfocus it

Several bugs related to combine the log file with the leftovers result.
A bug related to displaying app names in Windows Store Apps Manager.

about screenshot I don’t know why, don’t have such a problem with Apowersoft Screen Recorder.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
First, thank you for making this software available. (y)

My routine of uninstalling NVIDIA drivers is such chore. To be prudent, this is always done in Safe Mode with Display Driver Uninstaller, while Device Install .exe is disabled.

Can HiBit Uninstaller take the place of DDU with the same thoroughness? I'd like to uninstall in regular desktop mode.

Thanks for any replies.

HiBitSoftware

Level 1
Sep 1, 2020
I just used the installation monitoring to monitor the installation of PremiumAV. I then used uninstalled it and in the list of leftovers were many files and registry keys, that were not leftovers from PremiuimAV. This included some system files and important registry keys, which should not be deleted. Other files it wanted to delete, included drivers from IObit Uninstaller.

It seems that for now, the installation monitoring should be used with extreme caution. Since I've found HiBit's regular scan for leftovers to be safe to use, I installed Premium again, without monitoring the install. When I uninstalled it again, HiBit found a single leftover which did belong to PremiumAV. As a result, I still highly recommend using HiBit to scan for leftovers, but don't use the installation monitoring.

On my main system, I monitor all installs with Total Uninstall and it has never wanted to delete any system files, important registry keys or anything which would cause issues. Whenever I uninstall software with Total Uninstaller, I let it delete everything it wants to.
I tested this program on two different systems and found no problems.
If you still have such a problem, focus on the leftovers window press Ctrl+s keys save the resultLog file and send it to me.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Several bugs related to combine the log file with the leftovers result.
A bug related to displaying app names in Windows Store Apps Manager.

about screenshot I don’t know why, don’t have such a problem with Apowersoft Screen Recorder.
Thanks appreciate the response.

as for the screenshot bug, could possibly be greenshot playing up. I dont really use any other screenshot tools, so cant test it further but its fine.

I would like to make note that i removed Kaspersky from the final system and the audio settings were not removed (previously it happened whenever I removed Kaspersky using HiBit).

HiBitSoftware

Level 1
Sep 1, 2020
First, thank you for making this software available. (y)

My routine of uninstalling NVIDIA drivers is such chore. To be prudent, this is always done in Safe Mode with Display Driver Uninstaller, while Device Install .exe is disabled.

Can HiBit Uninstaller take the place of DDU with the same thoroughness? I'd like to uninstall in regular desktop mode.

Thanks for any replies.
you're welcome .
Unfortunately this is not possible in regular desktop mode, to do this you need OS kernel mode access and the program does not have such access.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I apologize for the delay

@Tutman, @Spawn Thanks.

HiBit Uninstaller 2.5.20 released
Changelog:
  • "Windows Store Apps Manager" performance Improved.
  • scan leftovers Improved.
  • Minor GUI improvements and bug fixes.
You're welcome and glad you made it. (Just downloaded the update.)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@HiBitSoftware please have a look at this thread and see if HiBit can in future detect remnants in event viewer folder. i suspect it won't be possible due to the nature of the folder requiring safe mode to remove the files.

HiBitSoftware

Level 1
Sep 1, 2020
@HiBitSoftware please have a look at this thread and see if HiBit can in future detect remnants in event viewer folder. i suspect it won't be possible due to the nature of the folder requiring safe mode to remove the files.
Will be added in the next version.(The system must be restarted to delete)

Is this what you tested?
http://premiumav.in/ftp/pavplus.exe
Yes

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.