Troubleshoot High CPU when connected to Internet

Daisy1234

Thread author
Dec 15, 2019
Hi ! I have an ASUS X541S and when I active the Wifi, the CPU and all others ( memory, disk but particularly) the CPU are around 100%. When I turn off the Wifi it's about 30%. My laptop is really slow and it also starts slowly even to put my password account. I noticed that it appears when I updated my computer to Windows 10 1909 but I can't go back to an older version.
Can someone help me, please ?

ahmed 12

Level 1
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Hello, try to boot windows in safe mode with network and see if the CPU usage still goes high.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi ! I have an ASUS X541S and when I active the Wifi, the CPU and all others ( memory, disk but particularly) the CPU are around 100%. When I turn off the Wifi it's about 30%. My laptop is really slow and it also starts slowly even to put my password account. I noticed that it appears when I updated my computer to Windows 10 1909 but I can't go back to an older version.
Can someone help me, please ?
Sometimes this is caused by a Windows update, in which case you just have to be patient and let the update download and install, or reschedule it for another time.
It is also possible that you have a weak processor and/or a lot of startup programs, so you get slowness for the first few minutes after startup. It is normal to see a CPU spike when opening heavy webpages such as Gmail.

Upvote 0

Daisy1234

Thread author
Dec 15, 2019
Hello, try to boot windows in safe mode with network and see if the CPU usage still goes high.

Upvote 0

Daisy1234

Thread author
Dec 15, 2019
did it and when I activated the WIFI, the CPU was at 100% because of WMI Provider that was at 80%. When I opened Chrome, WMI disappearead and Chrome was now at 70%

Upvote 0

Daisy1234

Thread author
Dec 15, 2019
Sometimes this is caused by a Windows update, in which case you just have to be patient and let the update download and install, or reschedule it for another time.
It is also possible that you have a weak processor and/or a lot of startup programs, so you get slowness for the first few minutes after startup. It is normal to see a CPU spike when opening heavy webpages such as Gmail.
Which update exactly cause in Windows update, no update is available.

Upvote 0

Daisy1234

Thread author
Dec 15, 2019
I waited some minutes in the safe mode and I noticed that when I was in the task manager with Chrome opened, the CPU was about 30% but when I came back to Chrome and reduce the window of task manager, it reached 100%. So maybe the problems are Chrome and the WIFI.

Upvote 0

ahmed 12

Level 1
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
I waited some minutes in the safe mode and I noticed that when I was in the task manager with Chrome opened, the CPU was about 30% but when I came back to Chrome and reduce the window of task manager, it reached 100%. So maybe the problems are Chrome and the WIFI.
you may remove chrome and reinstall it or try Microsoft edge to confirm that the problem with chrome. for the WIFI try use Ethernet if this fixed the issue and worked fine using Ethernet cable this might a problem with WIFI driver also you can run this command in CMD "sfc/scannow" without quotes this will scan system for any corruption in system files.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Which update exactly cause in Windows update, no update is available.
Windows updates usually take place silently in the background, it is hard to know when they are even happening. It doesn't really matter which update it is, because most of them are a major strain on system resources.
I am not sure this is your problem, I was just mentioning it as a possibility.

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
If all else fails, maybe you could consider opening a support request. Even if it's not malicious, sometimes a FRST script can restore a corrupted process or remove bad entries in the registry.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I had this problem once, thus the reason I started to disable services/tasks like:
Code:
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\NlaSvc\WiFiTask" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\NetTrace\GatherNetworkInfo" /Disable
schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WwanSvc\NotificationTask" /Disable
when I activated the WIFI, the CPU was at 100% because of WMI Provider that was at 80%.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If all else fails, maybe you could consider opening a support request.

@Daisy1234 this is your best bet since you appear to need more help.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.