RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It takes like 3 seconds to open the file explorer when the laptop is brand new and has i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB...

What i've done:

• Scan for malware
  • Check for disk errors
  • Reboot (?)
  • Optimizers

Haven't installed anything weird lately... Any ideas?

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
LOL NOBODY ANSWER TO THIS THREAD, BUT DO NOT DELETE IT SO PEOPLE CAN REALISE THIS.

Apparently, Nvidia laptops include some power boost options, so when you disconnect the laptop from the electricity, performance will drop significantly in order to save battery. This will include general OS performance as well as games FPS. Fixed by connecting the laptop lmao.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Yes, in general and usually in battery mode the laptop CPUs lower the frequency and probably others parameters to save energy...

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/d...ocessor-graphics-display-and-memory-paper.pdf
Its not intel but Nvidia battery boost slowing FPS to 30. You can uninstall Geforce experience app to remove it. Otherwise, use nvidia inspector to disable battery boost. Disable Acer update or similar. Keep only Predator Sense on startup and remove others like Sound driver. Use DPC Latency checker app to check system responsiveness. Also, any other startup programs?
EDIT: One more thing, is your SSD Toshiba perhaps? See if its throttling because its known case.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Its not intel but Nvidia battery boost slowing FPS to 30. You can uninstall Geforce experience app to remove it. Otherwise, use nvidia inspector to disable battery boost. Disable Acer update or similar. Keep only Predator Sense on startup and remove others like Sound driver. Use DPC Latency checker app to check system responsiveness. Also, any other startup programs?
EDIT: One more thing, is your SSD Toshiba perhaps? See if its throttling because its known case.
I always kept this enabled because i was too afraid to mess things up if disable.. Should i do it?
lfr3lvi.png

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Also check what power option you have on windows. Use balanced or high performance according to your needs.
The realtek one you "need it"(you can disable and it changes nothing. you just miss the changing audio thingy from taskbar). The nvidia crap you can uninstall and it's called nvidia hd audio driver.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Also check what power option you have on windows. Use balanced or high performance according to your needs.
The realtek one you "need it"(you can disable and it changes nothing. you just miss the changing audio thingy from taskbar). The nvidia crap you can uninstall and it's called nvidia hd audio driver.
NVIDIA HD audio control audio via HDMI so don't uninstall because no intel hd gfx on your model.
And on a laptop disable Nvidia telemetry, it will drain your battery faster if you don't disable it.
Yes disable it in services.msc and in their NV control panel as well by navigating to Help > Uncheck Allow Experience improvement program.
You can remove Skype from startup since loading time in SSD almost zero or instantaneous. Don't like IOBIT, on a high end PC not needed actually, I label it as a bloat. As an alternative I use CCleaner and BleachBit with Winapp2 which are faster and better.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Thanks. Disabled Nvidia Telemetry. Checked power options. Downloaded BleachBit. Should i keep enabled the HD Audio Background crap on startup?
Those Realtek HD driver can be accessed in sound in control panel or in settings app. So disable it. Use ccleaner to memorize the full path to the executable, if in case you need it.

Upvote 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
LOL NOBODY ANSWER TO THIS THREAD, BUT DO NOT DELETE IT SO PEOPLE CAN REALISE THIS.

Apparently, Nvidia laptops include some power boost options, so when you disconnect the laptop from the electricity, performance will drop significantly in order to save battery. This will include general OS performance as well as games FPS. Fixed by connecting the laptop lmao.
You solved your own problem, good for you. :)
Definitely laptop will try to conserve energy while on battery power, but 3 sec to open explorer is still too much (specially on that beast of a cpu), even on battery power. PS windows doesn't use dedicated gpu while you are not gaming unless you specifically set it that way (provided there is an integrated gpu available).
I find clean installing windows without any OEM crapware provides biggest speed boost even on brand new laptops.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.