Troubleshoot Hitman Pro, How powerful is it?

Arkham_Knight

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 15, 2017
Hi,
I was wondering if Hitman Pro is stronger than an antivirus like Avira or Avast.
Right now I have Avast + Hitman Pro, apparently Hitman Pro has the same engines as Sophos, Bitdefender and Kaspersky antivirus. So it must be better than Avast at detection right?
But the real question is, Avast is only scanning 400,000 to 499,000 files and 29,000-31,000 folders..
I recently did a reinstall of Windows, should Avast be scanning more files? Hitman Pro is scanning 1 million +

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Arkham_Knight

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 15, 2017
hitman is a second opinion malware scanner while avira & avast are full fledged anti-viruses. the former can not replace the latter.
Good point, I was asking this question because, Avast only scans 400,000-500,000 Files and 31,000-40,000 folders and Hitman Pro scans over 1 million.

Upvote 0

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Hitman is a good scanner on a demand but should be careful as it can remove useful applicatons. Last year I installed it as I got a 1 year licence for free. I starred scanning my lap and it removed a webmoney agent It is a small program by which I can send/receive/pay e - money. Then i takes me much time to install a webmoney again. Because after installation this program requires an activation sending a sms confirmation to avoid someone to steal your money. So, should be careful as it can remove useful programs.

Upvote 0

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Good point, I was asking this question because, Avast only scans 400,000-500,000 Files and 31,000-40,000 folders and Hitman Pro scans over 1 million.
Why would you want to scan that many files on your machine, if any are infected it is too late you are infected and need a better AV to start with. Prevention is way better than the cure. ;)

Upvote 0

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I found that in terms of on-demand scanners it slowed me down considerably, also while it does scan a lot of files, it's also a little overzealous on what to delete. I've had important files and documents deleted by Hitman Pro. Guess it lives up to it's name ;)

If you are going to use it, I'd recommend running a regular backup. Free tools like Rollback Rx or Macrium Reflect work.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
HitmanPro uses every engines directly connected to the cloud from virustotal.com, i believe that are 63. That should give you an idea.
HitmanPro uses Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Sophos and its own engine. VirusTotal integration can't be used without a public/private API key.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Personally, I have had good experiences using HitmanPro since originally placing it on our now defunct XP system, & trying it, happily, around the same time as stumbling upon our Oasis of information (here) that is MalwareTips!:D
As has already been shared, consider HitmanPro as primarily a secondary scanner, although HitmanPro Alert is additionally a realtime program that's always 'on'. It can be disabled as a startup program on Windows Task Manager.
I like it and, luckily, have not deleted any valuable items ..that I'm aware of.. (yet) as Nikolay. As Fritz mentioned, it displays which traces, cookies, and possibly unwanted programs, you may be deleting, but it can often be easy to overlook things when our eyes:rolleyes: aren't paying attention to what our mouse <clicks> are agreeing to.o_O
A bonus is "keyboard encryption" (included with HitmanPro Alert) although it is a good practice checking to see whether it is working at all times. As I did not see that it was, today, while logging onto MT using Pale Moon Browser, I fell back upon using Keyscrambler to encrypt my logon typing.

Bottom line:
Try it out, see how it meets your needs (or not) and decide whether it is, in fact, a program you'd like for your system.:)
I do!:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arkham_Knight

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 15, 2017
Well, my question is, is Avast scanning 400,000+ files normal? Should it be scanning more files? the files scanned seem to decrease each scan :/

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.