Advice Request Host rules import in Adguard ??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hi everybody,
i am asking if the adguard has the capability to import host files which contain certain domains and sub-domains to block
for example in my current case the emsisoft has this capability to import host rules to apply custom rules "for my case Block and notify " so i want to know if the Adguard has such customization option as i was thinking to use Windows defender with configure defender but i think it lacks decent web protection so i want to compensate that with using Adguard which i have lifetime licence for it by some user rules " i know windows defender has Addons extension" but i still this is still weak against phishing sites which i regularly do with Emsisoft by downloading custom list from Phishing Army | The Blocklist to filter Phishing! and Stevenblock

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Only for the case you didn't know that, Adguard for Windows using built-in web-protection:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Only for the case you didn't know that, Adguard for Windows using built-in web-protection:
thanks for the link what about phishing rules import do you have any idea :unsure: :unsure: ?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
thanks for the link what about phishing rules import do you have any idea :unsure: :unsure: ?
It's possible to import host, host based list like StevenBlack in Adguard desktop like you do in adblocking extensions but adding too many in Adguard might slow your browsing experience. Adguard actually warns when it thinks you have added too filters/hosts.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
It's possible to import host, host based list like StevenBlack in Adguard desktop like you do in adblocking extensions but adding too many in Adguard might slow your browsing experience. Adguard actually warns when it thinks you have added too filters/hosts.
so you recommend that built in regular rules updates is enough ??

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
so you recommend that built in regular rules updates is enough ??
Actually I'm not using Adguard desktop so I can't really say much and also it depends on what you prefer. You can try adding something like phishing army and see how it goes. StevenBlack list with more than 51k domains would probably be too much and hurt its performance.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Actually I'm not using Adguard desktop so I can't really say much and also it depends on what you prefer. You can try adding something like phishing army and see how it goes. StevenBlack list with more than 51k domains would probably be too much and hurt its performance.
ok may i test it it seems to be good compliment with windows defender with configure defender . i am looking for light setup after my Emsisoft subscription ends with low performance issue

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I imported a filter by going into the Settings at the top of the app, then click "Ad Blocker" on the side. At the bottom: Filter Editor, then click the big Plus sign at the bottom. "Import filter" and then I paste the url. The one list I trusted was this one, which several others around here recommended also:

Obviously there are like, zillions of others. This one is also incorporated into uBlock Origin which I run now. (y)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
ok may i test it it seems to be good compliment with windows defender with configure defender . i am looking for light setup after my Emsisoft subscription ends with low performance issue
Winodws defender with configure defender + Adguard (custom filter) + may be simple Antiexe (secureAplus or vodooshield)
These is a very good combo. You can try both Voodoshield and Secureplus one by one. It could be even easier to complement WD and configure defender with Hard_Configurator. WD is very good againt exe malwares. It's always one of the first to have cloud signatures for exe based malwares but it's weaker against script based malwares. Using Hard_Configurator you can stop the execution of scripts completely.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.