Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Nothing new, same old things. BTW, if you disable all the "spying" options it still sends data (personal data). I don't like Windows 10 because of the privacy and compatibility issues. I know that there are people here that will say that the "spying" doesn't exist, I highly recommend to read EULA & ToS.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
What are your main privacy concerns?
I don't like to be spyed by :
* Governements (PRISM/XKeyscore)
* For publicity (Google, Microsoft,....)
So i don't use google, Google chrome, for the moment don't use windows 10.

Reactions: Xtwillight

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
dont be wrong.. i see alot of paranoid this days abouth " privacy" lest clear this first: what u need so urgent to hide? .. they just got some info abouth what programs u use ( and not all of them ) abouth google yes the webs u visit.. where is the problem here? i dont visit any illegal or dangeours no need to hide like criminal.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I can personally guarantee that you will not be spied upon by the Government. If you are, then it's likely that Microsoft, Google, Apple are unaware of, but if they are then you will be notified about State-Sponsored Attacks towards your accounts.

Now lets take a look at the Privacy Options in Windows 10 Settings - these are aimed towards the apps downloaded from the Windows Store, as they all are permission-based.

Y3xgzOS.gif

Software downloaded from the web (ie. browser) aren't affected by the above Privacy settings.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
dont be wrong.. i see alot of paranoid this days abouth " privacy" lest clear this first: what u need so urgent to hide? .. they just got some info abouth what programs u use ( and not all of them ) abouth google yes the webs u visit.. where is the problem here? i dont visit any illegal or dangeours no need to hide like criminal.
I don't have anything to hide. I don't want that someone or something can see/access my data.

N

Noxx

Thread author
Just make the upgrade. There are tools available to block telemetry if you insist on not sending data to Microsoft. As Alkajak said, once you log onto the internet, your're leaking just as much of your privacy as you would be using Win 10's OS, or any other Microsoft OS.

T

TheSuperGeek

Thread author
Yes, I think the better is to stay on Windows 7 with the telemetry removed, because Windows 10 upgrade will be a garbage (I've got a lot of old games and the upgrade assistant says that they aren't compatible)... and i think i'll broke grub...

Reactions: upnorth
N

Noxx

Thread author
The only people I know of who think Windows 10 are garbage are individuals who are worried about data collection. As has been described countless times in this thread and elsewhere on the forum, you're willingly giving your data away the second you open up any browser. Nothing changes with Windows 10, except you get a better, more feature rich, as well as a more SECURE experience, WITH the option to block the telemetry just as you can with Windows 7. I understand the old games compatibility issue, however, unless there's something I'm not aware of that can remedy that concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I upgraded to windows 10 for security. Privacy is not a concern of mine. I do the old fasion way of taxes/buying things going to the store. I have no credentials on my computer. The only thing that scared me about Windows 10 was when it was first released my older computer couldn't handle it and kicked the bucket. :p

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I don't have anything to hide. I don't want that someone or something can see/access my data.
Nothing new, same old things. BTW, if you disable all the "spying" options it still sends data (personal data). I don't like Windows 10 because of the privacy and compatibility issues. I know that there are people here that will say that the "spying" doesn't exist, I highly recommend to read EULA & ToS.

there is a difference between spying personal infos and collecting usage datas. Usage collection is necessary to improve the OS.

Give a valid proof that your sensitive personal files have been leaked and used against your permission. i guess you can't...

As if Microsoft will collect your girlfriends' bikini pictures or Office docs...and a MS employee will peep on them and share them on the net....come on ..stop watching spy movies ...

People are concerned about Win10 imaginary privacy issues; and they forgot that their Internet service provider logs everything they do online.

Not mentioning the same people use a smartphone with GPS enabled or other apps tracking everything, use credit cards that leak every thing they buy , etc... bwahahahahahaha ridiculously ridiculous.

Now about compatibility , this is valid; but it is the same problem with almost every OS available.

L

LabZero

Thread author
The news of Windows 10 is not the GUI or new features, but the fact that it is free for those who make the upgrade. But everything has a price and currency here, the money is the privacy of the users.

But this is not illegitimate or malicious: simply Microsoft has implemented a business model based on advertising and user's profiling... such as Google, Facebook, etc.

So if we do not accept this policy, then we can work on the settings or rely on third-party tools, and then turn off what we don't want.

An operating system is not a web site that we simply can leave or ignore and we should realize that this business model is now universally applied in every context.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Windows 10 retail version is not free despite Microsoft's new way of money making through selling usage data to 3rd parties. There is no clear information available regarding what data MS have access to. If a person expecting MS wont misuse their data may be true (lets assume) but in the event of a security breach on MS servers millions of Windows 10 users data may be at risk just like what happened on 2011 were PlayStation Network being hacked resulting:

" Sony has finally announced that the PlayStation Network (PSN) outage was due to a massive hack that exposed the names, birthdays, email addresses, passwords, security questions, and maybe credit card details, of all PSN users."
How the PlayStation Network was Hacked | ExtremeTech

If we pay for an OS it should be personnel, secure and must be transparent to its users what the OS does and there is no justification of selling usage data for MS advertisement revenues. Just because Facebook, Android etc etc monitor your browsing habits is not an excuse that MS too can spy on its users which is a flawed logic. To me other than Dx12 support there is no compelling reason to upgrade to windows 10. If MS offered Dx12 support to windows 7 and 8, support for upcoming CPUs from Intel and AMD, no aggressive upgrade push over the windows update Windows 10 market share wont even beat windows XPs current market share let alone if the OS ever see a double digit market share. Just because Windows 10 is the newest OS wont necessarily mean it is a good OS. MS now were exploiting its monopolistic stand and simply forcing there OS onto users throat whether you like it or not, more like Deal with It approach.

Last edited:

Morvotron

Level 7
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
It has been debated many times. As a matter or fact, Windows 10 privacy policies aren't a big concern, since data collection has been taking place since previous versions of Microsoft's OS. To be clear, Microsoft won't access to your HDD, submiting your pictures and documents to their server, to be given to the goverment if asked. Totally not happening. I was a bit concerned about this back on this thread, and i could manage to talk to Microsoft Support about it. I'm attaching screenshots of that conversation, also uploaded to the aforementioned thread.

Note: i'm failing to attach thumbnails and pictures are huge so i'll just leave the links to imgur

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.