Windows 10 Data Collection: what does it collect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I've searched the Web and seen lots of theories and arguments on what Microsoft collects on its new operating system. I've seen people say statistics, basic data. I've seen people say Cortina's voice commands, Bing searches, even email content. I've heard about a possible keylogger that got "removed" on the final version. I've seen Microsoft disclaimers saying data was needed to improve user's experience. And finally I've seen Microsoft say any info will be delivered to the government if the law required it, the user was under legal sight or to protect consumers.

Now the question I wanna make is: does Microsoft collect information on third party sites/apps, just as Gmail instead of Hotmail/Outlook? And finally does Microsoft access to user's personal files, such as pictures?

I know Microsoft does not care about my private holidays on Guatemala, and this is not a thread to discuss whether they spy or do not spy on us. I just want to know how deep is this issue, just to know what I'm installing.

Anyone's got a clue?

PS: is keylogger really removed?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello Morvotron. I agree with Umbra's assessment of Windows 10 data collection, & have been test browsing with Windows 10 in a VM. It is still quite new for me. I hadn't heard about key logging, but, coincidentally, one of the few additions I'd made to the O.S. was Hitmanpro Alert HitmanPro.Alert - SurfRight
Scroll down to "Feature Overview, Comparison" which describes how it includes Keystroke encryption.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Thanks guys! The question here isn't pointed to whether it's OK to spy on us or if I should worry or not about it. I know how internet works and I know Google does the same, Facebook does the same.. I just want to know what exactly this OS does, just like you always check what your new software can do before you install it. As much as I've understand it just collects basic stuff just as visited websites, contacts, Cortana stuff.. They can't access to files on the hard drive if I have OneDrive stuff disabled? Once again I know they don't care about my pictures or music files, I just wanna know what I'm installing..

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
If you were comparing to what Microsoft Windows collects and various other software's do, let me tell you this.

Windows is an Operating System software, but other's are simply application software which runs on Windows.

It's only obvious that it will collect more than any other software you use. They have been doing it for years, and you are not going to get affected by it, and nothing to be paranoid about. I, for instance still continue to use it, just like you and everyone else here.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I just chatted with Microsoft Support Online Chat. Here's what i could find out.

FPz2bkL.png

pyDY6QD.png

bNvL5Rb.png

BU4DNIa.png

1C3qeFP.png

vtUhi0q.png

It seems access to personal files is a myth, while keylogger is 100% real.
A very good post, thanks. :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There is an upload option for images which can be posted as thumbnails and a spoiler option to place other Huge Images in so that they don't take up an entire page on the forums.
These will not be edited anymore but deleted!

Reactions: Morvotron

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Microsoft like other companies will only focus as possible on their products that collect information for statistics. Other connection with the third party usually rejected because they want to retrieve information that can help to improve their services instead.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
while keylogger is 100% real.
If you ALLOW Cortana and App Permissions, to your Ink/Type Settings and Peripherals, then YES you will receive a PERSONALISED experience. This is the same for Google, Apple and other software giants, for example, Gmail with Personalised Ads and iPhone logging frequent locations.

The data collection in Windows 10 is NOT with malicious intent. Additionally, if Windows as a Service is true, they will need improvement over the next decade to improve their OS. Same how when you BETA test any software or video game, feedback is collected.

If you do not agree to the License Agreement, do not use it and don't spread false accusations, unless you have evidential proof (ie.) that your data was sold to a third party.

Everyone is overly paranoid about Windows 10. Don't like it? Don't use it. Simple as. :)

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
If you ALLOW Cortana and App Permissions, to your Ink/Type Settings and Peripherals, then YES you will receive a PERSONALISED experience. This is the same for Google, Apple and other software giants, for example, Gmail with Personalised Ads and iPhone logging frequent locations.

The data collection in Windows 10 is NOT with malicious intent. Additionally, if Windows as a Service is true, they will need improvement over the next decade to improve their OS. Same how when you BETA test any software or video game, feedback is collected.

If you do not agree to the License Agreement, do not use it and don't spread false accusations, unless you have evidential proof (ie.) that your data was sold to a third party.

Everyone is overly paranoid about Windows 10. Don't like it? Don't use it. Simple as. :)

Actually I never stated Microsoft intentions were malicious. It's obvious they do not care at all at some users holiday pictures, and they will not leak your intimate files to the public. They do not sell malware. I never pointed at them as "You are infecting me". All I wanted and the whole point of this thread was and this to understand what I'm installing. Like an ordinary user, I just wish to know what the operating system does, how it works, and what it collects, despite I have no issue on the data collection. Curiosity never killed anyone, did it? I'm pretty sure when you, and everyone else installs any software, you first give a look to the reviews.

On the other hand, it's not as simple as if you don't agree don't use it. Alright, Microsoft intentions here are exclusive just to improve their products. If this wasn't the case, I'd be worried. We can't state "if you have nothing to hide, you've got nothing to worry". Quoting: "Saying if you have nothing to hide you've got nothing to worry, is just like stating you're against of free speech because you have nothing to say." Let's not forget privacy on any kind is a citizens right and should not be violated. Now said this, I remind that I understand Microsoft intentions and i'm not paranoid about it. I'm just informing myself.

Reactions: Xtwillight

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I do not think @Huracan was saying that you stated Microsoft's intentions were malicious.However if people believe and worry that they are being spied upon,their privacy invaded without their consent and the use of keyloggers then that would infer malicious intent.
I think most answered your original question/concern.Problem now is the thread is becoming and ongoing back and forth debate that has already been debated and answered in many other threads and news articles.
Before another thread goes off the rails this one will be closed.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.