How an AI tool can crack your passwords

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
AI may be able to do lots of cool things like write computer code, tell you a story, and explain the theory of relativity. But it can also do at least one thing that's not so cool: Figure out your passwords. A new report released by security experts at Home Security Heroes shows how a savvy AI tool can be used to crack common passwords in minutes or seconds.To determine how long it would take to crack 15,600,000 common passwords via artificial intelligence, Home Security Heroes enlisted an AI tool known as PassGAN.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
That was a good read.

As expected, passwords that combined both length and complexity were the most secure. A nine-character password with all the different types of characters would take five years to crack, while an 18-character one with just numbers would take 10 months to crack. One with 18 characters and all the different types of characters would take six quintillion years.

Which then led me to do a forum search. It looks like I have some reading to do ;)

Can someone point me to a link or a discussion here on the forum regarding the security of a desktop app like KPM or F-Secure PM over a browser-based extension? That article pointed to browser extension/apps as the best password managers. As of now, I'm having F-Secure replace some of my weak passwords with 16-character random passwords.

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Clickbait title for the article

1681238934041.png

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
Only quantum computers are threat to passwords (good ones) and cryptography. They are far away from becoming major enough to be abused and by then, we won’t be using passwords anymore.

Cover your heads! Hide kids and your wife too. Why? Because the brain chip is coming. Don’t let them infect you with the Muskian brain virus. Via Elon Musk’s NeuralLink initiative. We must create brain antiviruses to combat this grave threat.

P.S: A brain chip was what you were alluding to, right @Trident? Or did I just blabber on about nothing lol?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Cover your heads! Hide kids and your wife too. Why? Because the brain chip is coming. Don’t let them infect you with the Muskian brain virus. Via Elon Musk’s NeuralLink initiative. We must create brain antiviruses to combat this grave threat.

P.S: A brain chip was what you were alluding to, right @Trident? Or did I just blabber on about nothing lol?
No, Apple, Microsoft and few giants are working on a password-less future.

Right now it’s in a very early stage, but in few years it will become more major.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
How many years? "1 trillionnnnnnnnnnnnnn yearrrrrrrrrrrs".

By then we will probably be controlling computers through our minds with CPU's built into our brains.

Quantum computing will change the game no doubt, but we are 20 years away from that unless there is a major breakthrough. And then it's a question of whether QC can scale enough to break super complex passwords or well-designed cryptography. From what I understand Publick Key Cryptography will be toast, but AES, Twofish and the like will have the key strength cut in half so from 256 to 128. So in theory AES with a 64-character password at 128 key strength will still take many years to crack even with QC. And then you will have Quantum resistant algorithms being designed and implemented right now and the future isn't so bleak.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
but we are 20 years away
More than 20. For now nobody even needs those, there will be very few places that will be equipped with them and with all the inventory needed to use them. For home use, we are extremely far away from them, users prefer small and elegant solutions, they will not go back to computers that occupy a whole room. Most likely even Gen Z at the moment won’t get their hands on quantum PCs.

Besides, Windows barely supports ARM today with a lot of hiccups.

As to cryptography, new more powerful algorithms will be implemented.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Your correct about QC. New resistant algorithms will come into play before the QC apocalypse. QC will be the domain of nation state military and intelligence services to begin with. Then it will slowly flow into business and corporations like MS & Google and finally to consumers, we are probably 50 to 100 years away from people having QC computers in their living room. But things progress fast so the timeline for mass adoption could be 20/30 years.

Sadly, the end result with all these new technologies like ML/A.I and I think with QC it will be used to serve people faster and better targeted advertising and sell people crap they don't need :unsure:.

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Oh boy. Sigh.
I still can use numbers only.
They need to know I'm using only numbers, or lowercase letters, etc.
If they don't know what characters I'm using, they need to include the entire character set.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Oh boy. Sigh.
I still can use numbers only.
They need to know I'm using only numbers, or lowercase letters, etc.
If they don't know what characters I'm using, they need to include the entire character set.
You can always throw a dot, exclamation mark, coma, etc in between the numbers to add hudreds of years more work 😀

Btw about passwords, they usually allow 26 letters (in English), 10 numbers and a bit over 20 (but let’s say 20) special characters.

An 8-character password is then
(26+26+10+20)^8 or 82^8 = 2,044,140,858,654,976 combinations.

Good luck cracking that.

If there is no minimum length specified it will be even worse as criminals will have to test 82^1+82^2+82^3+82^4+82^5+82^6+82^7 as well.

Which is 25,236,306,896,892

Last edited:

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
You can always throw a dot, exclamation mark, coma, etc in between the numbers to add hudreds of years more work 😀

Btw about passwords, they usually allow 26 letters (in English), 10 numbers and a bit over 20 (but let’s say 20) special characters.

An 8-character password is then
(26+26+10+20)^8 or 82^8 = 2,044,140,858,654,976 combinations.

Good luck cracking that.

If there is no minimum length specified it will be even worse as criminals will have to test 82^1+82^2+82^3+82^4+82^5+82^6+82^7 as well.

Which is 25,236,306,896,892
Lastpass offer random PWs with 50 characters . I don't even wanna test how many trillion years a hacker with a brute force attempt would have to use. :)

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
Lastpass offer random PWs with 50 characters . I don't even wanna test how many trillion years a hacker with a brute force attempt would have to use. :)

Probably 0 years if you’re storing your passwords with LastPass. They get hacked every year it seems like. Just got hacked again recently this year.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Can someone point me to a link or a discussion here on the forum regarding the security of a desktop app like KPM or F-Secure PM over a browser-based extension? That article pointed to browser extension/apps as the best password managers. As of now, I'm having F-Secure replace some of my weak passwords with 16-character random passwords.
What is the conlusion ? Which is the most secure Password manager part of a security suite or browser extension ?

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
What is the conlusion ? Which is the most secure Password manager part of a security suite or browser extension ?
And that's the question I have. With the F-Secure desktop app within Total Security, there is no MY F-Secure online password manager ability. So is that just syncing through their servers and that's it and not stored there, and thus it's more secure?

With the Kaspersky password manager app on my desktop, and then the ability to access password manager in My Kaspersky, with that being on their servers (even though everything is encrypted) less secure than F-Secure?

Then for the final 3rd question (no, not the Monty Python Holy Grail 3 questions) are those desktop types of apps more secure than the more popular browser extension apps, even like Bitdefender's and the others?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.