How are you securing your home wireless network?

How are you securing your home wireless network?

• WEP - Wired Equivalent Privacy

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • WPA - Wi-Fi Protected Access

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • WPA2 - Wi-Fi Protected Access 2

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • I don’t use wireless encryption.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Used to go with WEP, but since doing this networking course changed it WPA2. Plus I have Mac filtering on, that meaning if a PC tries to connect to our network and the Mac address is not on the safe list they can't use the network.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Router shows Authentication Type to be both "WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK", my managed networks shows WPA2-Personal.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
McLovin said:
WPA2. Plus I have Mac filtering on, that meaning if a PC tries to connect to our network and the Mac address is not on the safe list they can't use the network.

Same here

N

Nige_40

Thread author
I have WPA+WPA2 set for my Router since it has that option.

WPA-PSK Encryption:TKIP+AES
with Security Mode: WPA-PSK

So I think that is good enough for me :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've done something similar for newly connected devices, but easier to manage. I've imposed strict Content Screening.

McLovin said:
Plus I have Mac filtering on, that meaning if a PC tries to connect to our network and the Mac address is not on the safe list they can't use the network.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
My wireless network is naked except for a really strong password. WEP might keep a neighbor from hopping onto your nework, but any semi-skilled "war driver" will blast right through WEP encryption.

I used to keep DHCP set to 2 users (MAX) and leave both of my computers turned on and connected so a third person trying to hop on the network is powerless to do so.
Pretty much, I used a wireless network watcher type of program to at least see if anyone is (was) on my network that should not be.

Plus I have Mac filtering on

I need to learn about that.

I just enabled wireless MAC. Other than that, I have a strong router password.

I do not want to sound like a defeatist, but a strong router password and wireless MAC is all you need to keep the rookies and accidental loggers off your wireless network. Other than that, if an experienced war driver wants to penetrate it, they are going to do so regardless of what you do for security. In that scenario intelligence gathering is sufficient; when I see someone on my network that is not supposed to be, and see a suspicious vehicle hanging around (esp. with a directional antenna pointed out the window) I can go out and flatten some tires with 00 buck, and then start the unpleasant (for war driver) interrogation.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ZOU1 said:
My wireless network is naked except for a really strong password. WEP might keep a neighbor from hopping onto your nework, but any semi-skilled "war driver" will blast right through WEP encryption.

Indeed, WEP is obsolete now, it need 1-5mn to break it.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
Indeed, WEP is obsolete now, it need 1-5mn to break it.

That is why it's best to have WPA2 and Mac filtering.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Now a days almost all of the Routers come with a inbuilt firewall and DNS features set it right and and you will be more secure

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I am using the tried and proven combo of NAT and WPA2 encryption. I once had a MAC filter in place but decided to dump it for two reasons: 1) They can be a bother when you have friends over. 2) mac addresses are relatively easy to spoof and if someone goes onto your network with a spoofed mac address, you have no legal defense if they do something illegal. So i have my router set to log dhcp requests instead.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I am using the tried and proven combo of NAT and WPA2 encryption

Can you explain both of those or at least link me to a place where I can efficiently self educate?

Thanks mate.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ZOU1 said:
Can you explain both of those or at least link me to a place where I can efficiently self educate?

Both are features of your router,

NAT can be simplified as "hardware Firewall"

WPA2 can be simplified as you wi-fi's packets encryption algorithm

How NAT works

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
MalwareCenter said:
I use WEP.

By choice or due to hardware limitations?

In my apartment I use WPA2, as it's a densely populated area with alot of over spill. However, at my parents house in the country I have things set up open as it makes live easier for them (and me).

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I know enough to get me by I suppose but not too educated in the security aspect of networking, here's what my router shows.

OgEDZ.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.