JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
After reading this thread Google’s April Android Security Bulletin Warns of 9 Critical Bugs (remote code execution, critical elevation of privilege) I go on my S8+ parameters to check which version is installed and I found:
Version Android: 7.0
Version Samsung Experience: 8.1
Security patch level Android: 1 November 2017
When I try to update manually I get a message: "last updates yet installed" , but I'm sure that there was no update installed at least since 3 months...
Is it an issue ?
Can you help me ?
Thanks

Reactions: norman

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Well, for starters...you should get Android O soon (8.0). I did a couple of days ago on my Galaxy S8 phone. About the OTA updates, since it is a Samsung phone, it may be a little while until we get the updates. It is the nature of the beast. Pixel phones always receive updates way faster than any other android phone. Samsung android phones receive updates much slower.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Well, for starters...you should get Android O soon (8.0). I did a couple of days ago on my Galaxy S8 phone. About the OTA updates, since it is a Samsung phone, it may be a little while until we get the updates. It is the nature of the beast. Pixel phones always receive updates way faster than any other android phone. Samsung android phones receive updates much slower.

Thanks @motox781 :)
So I will wait...

Ok whats your model number?

Thanks @CyberTech :)
My model number is: Galaxy S8+ / SM-G955F

Reactions: CyberTech
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Ok well i can't promise you anything i cant help you if you have any problem this ok? and if you dont know how to install firmware on the phone make sure watch howto on YT..

Here's the link: Firmware download for Galaxy S8+ SM-G955F make sure to chose carrier like sim card name and as well as country...

Thanks @CyberTech :)
The last update for my country and carrier was 01.01.2018 and the last PDA is installed on my phone but I don't know what is "CSC" (NB: soccer fans know that "CSC" mean "Own Goal";))
s8+.PNG

Upvote 0

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Hi
I am in the UK on the Vodafone network and my S8+ received an update this week for the first time in several months. This is an update to Android 8.0 with Samsung Experience 9.0.

I would expect you'll get yours sometime this month.

Reactions: JB007
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hi
I am in the UK on the Vodafone network and my S8+ received an update this week for the first time in several months. This is an update to Android 8.0 with Samsung Experience 9.0.

I would expect you'll get yours sometime this month.
Hi @askmark
I think you are right and the only thing I can do is waiting:coffee:

Reactions: askmark
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hi @JB007,

First of all, nice phone! We share the same passion for great quality phones :)

Talking about OTA updates (updates that reach your phone via the update system), they follow a procedure:

1. Beta-testers recieve them first
  2. Once official, Samsung releases them for unlocked phones and hands them to carriers (Verizon, AT&T, Orange, etc).
  3. Once the carriers are done customizing updates and firmwares, they are the ones to release the firmware to your phone

My carrier really sucks at this. I haven't recieved an OTA updates in like an year (Carrier: Claro from Argentina). What I did was simple. I downloaded an Oreo (Android 8.0) firmware from Sammobile that was unlocked (belong to no carrier). I flashed it with Odin and that's it. I now have Oreo and a clean firmware without bloatware.

But if you do this you have to take into account that when you flash a firmware from another region, like me (argentina phone and flashed an italian firmware), the CSC remains the same. This means, all bloatware goes away and it's a clean firmware, but you cannot recieve further updates. In my case, I don't care, since my carrier never released updates. At least I now have Oreo. And in the future, if critical bugs/flaws appear, Sammobile uploads the lastest firmware and I can flash again the italian firmware in order to have it updated. :)

Reactions: CyberTech and JB007
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello @RoboMan
Thanks for your deep explanations:)
I decided to wait until the end of April and if Orange doesn't release Oreo, I follow your indications and try to download an Italian firmware.

Reactions: RoboMan
Upvote 0

Silmaek

Level 1
Apr 10, 2018
Before you download:
Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network, or make sure it has a strong Verizon Wireless network connection.
Ensure your battery is fully charged before starting the software update.
collapse
Current Software Update Benefits
Software Version: R16NW.G955USQU2CRB9
Android® Security Patch Level: 2018-02-01

This software update provides Android Oreo to your Samsung Galaxy s8+, with tools to improve your productivity, and the latest Android security patches.

Android Oreo benefits

Background limits: Android Oreo helps minimize background activity in the apps you use least, providing better device performance.

Autofill: Autofill remembers logins and passwords for quick access to your favorite apps.

Picture-in-Picture, for apps: Lets you to see two apps at once for easier multitasking.

App Notification Dots: Press the notification dots to quickly scan what's new, and clear them by swiping away.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Android Oreo Benefits screenshot Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Android Oreo Benefits screenshot Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Android Oreo Benefits screenshot
Use 2 apps with just one tap

App Pair lets you launch two apps and use them side-by-side on the immersive Infinity Display.

Add an App Pair icon to your Home Screen for one-touch access.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus App Pair screenshot Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus App Pair screenshot
Dual Messenger

Your Galaxy S8+ has Dual Messenger capability, letting you use 2 accounts on the same chat app. Keep separate accounts for work and home, but on the same phone.

You can find Dual Messenger in Settings > Advanced features.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Dual Messenger screenshot Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Dual Messenger screenshot
High contrast keyboard options

Android Oreo provides several different high contrast keyboards to customize your device experience.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus High Contrast Keyboard Options screenshot
Phone screen updates

The new phone screen swaps the "Mute" and "Keypad" icons to help prevent accidentally hitting mute during calls.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Phone Screen Updates screenshot
Next steps and additional links:

Please allow additional time for the apps on your device to continue to download after the software update.
Perhaps , you can try his method ,

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.