How did Avast know I have a Google account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuketB

Level 1
Apr 6, 2015
Hello Nico,

I would like to understand why you ve been skeptic about Comodo . Today Comodo is one of the trusthworthy brands within the cyber security sector, a recent poll question http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ite-seal-do-you-trust-the-most-300046458.html made us also understand that people trust Comodo ; here are the results of the survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/result...5sk1=6ec4e083729eb1209af69b49dac6d1d01b87dc4e. Comodo provides you the full protection you need and your personal data is safe.

I would like to answer your questions if you have any.

Kind Regards
Buket

One of the things about antivirus programs is that they check your user Profile & Settings and Stored Profile data (.dat files)
There are a number of reasons for this but the biggest reason for a average user is that people want user friendly can do it all software.
And since most users do not have a clue how to set things correctly brands like Avast make the process automated based upon simple yes and no configurations.
Now the fact is that most AV brands and third party software do have at least some form of data gathering, however to be truth full here i personally would not mind if Avast gathers some info from my account (If i would use it) as Avast is a respectable and trustworthy brand.
However on the surface we cannot see which brands are collecting data which benefit the user, or which benefits the company (which is imo a NO GO) and thats why i have been extremely skeptic about brands like Comodo, Qihoo, Tencent and some of these other wukkiduda brands.
Anyway i would not be worried much about avast gathering some data, afterall you guys wanted a hassle free auto config system, avast is just giving you that.

Kind Regards
Cheers

Reactions: yigido

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello Nico,

I would like to understand why you ve been skeptic about Comodo . Today Comodo is one of the trusthworthy brands within the cyber security sector, a recent poll question http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ite-seal-do-you-trust-the-most-300046458.html made us also understand that people trust Comodo ; here are the results of the survey https://www.surveymonkey.com/result...5sk1=6ec4e083729eb1209af69b49dac6d1d01b87dc4e. Comodo provides you the full protection you need and your personal data is safe.

I would like to answer your questions if you have any.

Kind Regards
Buket

Well Buket, since i made the comment earlier, i will reply to your question while it is rather offtopic ok?
First of all let me say that i personally have been a Comodo user in the early days, like some other well known names here on the forum.
We where part of the initial releases of the older versions of Comodo and to tell you the truth? I was not a hardcore fan, but i loved everything about their initial firewall concepts as they where good and as such i know what their firewall can do and how good it use to be.
Everyone knows that their other products always have been "so so" this includes their antivirus and some other questionable tools.
Technically they use to have a well rounded team and a good concept to work from, but that all has gone to "#####"
To much features, a total lack of finishing touch and more importantly a false sense of security brought by their products.
Look this is not my opinion but this is a internet wide known fact. Comodo lost a huge amount of technical members like myself who did spend hours and hours testing their products, before version 6 and 7 Comodo use to rock it really did. But man o man did they go downhill.
The latest versions are a mere shadow of their earlier releases.

In regards to your survey's they do not mean a single thing, it really does not (No disrespect intended) as 80+% of all the voters do not know a damn thing about the product. Now i said this before but marketing is a really powerful tool, it can build trust, it can generate members and it can artificially create a good product. Yet this does not mean it actually is.
For example SSL certificates, while its a nice feature that Comodo does offer a free one it is also known to be less secure and more importantly major payment systems do not support Comodo and why? Because Comodo allows ANYONE to get a SSL regardless what the SSL is going tobe used for this is public knowledge.
Try that with Verisign or some of the other (Way to expensive SSL brands) Yes most of those brands are WAY to expensive yet on the other hand they are supported, trusted and they actually do check their clients and keep checking them, and if found fraudulent or bad in some way they will revoke your SSL.
Anyway i am actually surprised that i am even taking the time to reply to your question as anything i said is public knowledge and a undisputed fact.
My general point here is Comodo is a kickass brand with a serious potential, but they use to be so much better, the past years they have gone downhill so badly that even mediocre brands are miles ahead of anything Comodo has to offer.
Another thing is the data collection done which actually does pay for their free products, and while their privacy policy does state that they do not give out user info it does mention that they will get data if the user gives consent which ANY user will give by installing their products.
And this info is being shared with their (re-target) partners. Again this is not subject to debate its a fact. Their opt out is just a function that does not do anything afterall when you did install their product you already gave them the go ahead.
All in all this makes Comodo a so-so and a questionable product.
Anyway this is the short version of a long long LONG list of problems that Comodo has, and while i do not want to advocate other products i just have to state the fact that Comodo's competition just do not have such problems, and are completely open in regards to their partners and objectives. Yet they also do collect data everyone is doing it but its still very different from what Comodo does.
As a final note i will make a personal comment regarding this: Its not my intention to bash them and as ex supporter, user and tester i feel bad that a very promising product has gone down this way and ended up to a point where Comodo currently is. Their home software is a joke in many ways and their features LOOK and GIVE the user the feeling of being totally secure. Hell even some tests rate Comodo as good or excellent but in the real world its mostly a jungle of functions without providing actual protection that does meet or is on par with rival products. From a industry POV Comodo is one of those brands that if i would suggest them to one of my clients, or install it on their systems i would be out of a job on the spot: Now that does say something about their trustworthiness does it not?
It has nothing to do with the flavor of the day and neither does it have anything to do with costs or business ICT strategy because in the end from a clients POV, IF Comodo would be the best option for their security goals and objectives then Comodo will be used its simple as that.
Fact is that Comodo as a brand is not even mentioned during evaluations when some of my clients choose their product of choice.
And why? because their is literally nothing that Comodo offers that could be even remotely appealing to a company.

So what do you want me to say? I HATE Comodo with a passion, I question their products BUT i love their initial security concept..which died a long time ago.

Anyway this is as far as i go to reply to your question, if you want more info do some research talk to other more knowledgeable members here on the forum and each one will pretty much say the same thing as i told you. (I also suggest when you do to create a topic of your own as this discussion will put us so far offtopic ok?)

Kind Regards,
Nico

Reactions: jamescv7 and yigido

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Nico@FMA Would you know how Avast detected that -Gmail_1 was not linked to Android, but -Gmail_2 was linked to Android? Hence the offer for -Gmail_2. What would avast be looking for in my Browser data?

Reactions: Kent

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I assume that it reads your browser .dat file (where for example chrome stores your userdata) on top of that Windows OS also keeps track of social media type internet usage and Avast is just reading the logs, cookies, datfiles, MRU data and user profile settings.configuration.
That would be the most obvious way. However i cannot say for 100% sure as i don't know how avast exactly did do it.
But if i where to offer such feature within my own software then this is the proper and general way to do.

Cheers

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
I assume that it reads your browser .dat file (where for example chrome stores your userdata) on top of that Windows OS also keeps track of social media type internet usage and Avast is just reading the logs, cookies, datfiles, MRU data and user profile settings.configuration.
That would be the most obvious way. However i cannot say for 100% sure as i don't know how avast exactly did do it.
But if i where to offer such feature within my own software then this is the proper and general way to do.

Cheers
Have you asked Google?

They are getting it from Google.

Hello
Thank you for contacting our support center with your concerns.

We have got it from your chrome account. If you are signed (permanently) to your google account in some web browser, avast can read your devices added to this account and offer our products. this situation can't be blocked.

Best regards,
Source:https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/p4TeRmTmcd8

by the way you can block it by not using Avast

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013

Thanks for proving my point. Btw this also shows that third-parties are actually allowed to read your device data, now in Avasts case this is not a big deal, but who else can read ur google account? lol

Frame of Mind

Level 1
Verified
May 7, 2015
Since it is a free av you can't expect it to be good in privacy terms than other avs like ESet, Kaspersky and many others. Use 360 Total Security instead as a free option.

Thanks for reading,
John.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Since it is a free av you can't expect it to be good in privacy terms than other avs like ESet, Kaspersky and many others. Use 360 Total Security instead as a free option.

Thanks for reading,
John.

Now thats complete bull.
Avast is a stellar brand with a stellar rep... and has a privacy that is on par if not better then most big brands out there.
And in regards to 360 total security while its a growing name it has been subject to controversy regarding their privacy..

Cheers

Frame of Mind

Level 1
Verified
May 7, 2015
Now thats complete bull.
Avast is a stellar brand with a stellar rep... and has a privacy that is on par if not better then most big brands out there.
And in regards to 360 total security while its a growing name it has been subject to controversy regarding their privacy..

Cheers

Of course it has been subject, it is a new upcoming av, while avast has years of experience. I still think 360 total security is safer. And nonetheless better.

Thanks for reading,
John.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013

Thanks for reading,
John.
Citing Qihoo as a beacon of privacy is like saying in the face of historical reference it wasn't an iceberg that sank the Titanic. The company has a long sordid & public history of questionable ethics/behavior with its user base. And that's not taking into account the latest accusation by AV-C.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Citing Qihoo as a beacon of privacy is like saying in the face of historical reference it wasn't an iceberg that sank the Titanic. The company has a long sordid & public history of questionable ethics/behavior with its user base. And that's not taking into account the latest accusation by AV-C.

+1

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Of course it has been subject, it is a new upcoming av, while avast has years of experience. I still think 360 total security is safer. And nonetheless better.

Thanks for reading,
John.

Its ok that you "think" it is better or not for that matter because thats your personal opinion.
But real world facts are different 360TS is not as good as you might think.
Sure they are working their way up but as others stated the company itself specially their privacy is questionable at best, not to mention that their free products are advertisement and user data driven.
Which is not the case with brands like Avast.

JD15

Level 1
Verified
Jul 12, 2015
One of the things about antivirus programs is that they check your user Profile & Settings and Stored Profile data (.dat files)
There are a number of reasons for this but the biggest reason for a average user is that people want user friendly can do it all software.
And since most users do not have a clue how to set things correctly brands like Avast make the process automated based upon simple yes and no configurations.
Now the fact is that most AV brands and third party software do have at least some form of data gathering, however to be truth full here i personally would not mind if Avast gathers some info from my account (If i would use it) as Avast is a respectable and trustworthy brand.
However on the surface we cannot see which brands are collecting data which benefit the user, or which benefits the company (which is imo a NO GO) and thats why i have been extremely skeptic about brands like Comodo, Qihoo, Tencent and some of these other wukkiduda brands.
Anyway i would not be worried much about avast gathering some data, afterall you guys wanted a hassle free auto config system, avast is just giving you that.

Kind Regards
Cheers

+1

Last edited:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
people you'll have to understand that not only avast is spying on you
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/closed-threads/388153-windows-7-might-be-spying-on-you

http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...cted-daily-telemetry-run-may-be-snooping.html

if you are looking for privacy do not use the internet, once you connect your pc to the internet you are done with privacy.

you should always think that someone or something is watching your activity.

as long as you just cracking windows you should be fine but if you are doing more than that.....

and for bonus
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/illegal-downloaders-beware-you-may-get-a-shock-in-2015-1.2169729
thats much bigger problem than avast

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/0...roviders-will-start-busting-users-for-piracy/

Last edited:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
We so need a Rusty Shackleford support group...

Of course, nobody would attend because they wouldn't believe it was truly "____ Anonymous"! :D

Untitled.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.