Advice Request How do I change the keyboard key for a more commonly used input?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I am a heavy user of MS word, Is it possible to change a keyboard key for a more commonly used key as an example there are $,& signs on keyboard keys 4 and 7 respectively, How do I change either key for a more commonly used symbol rather than using 'insert a symbol' feature on MS word?

Reactions: shmu26 and upnorth

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am a heavy user of MS word, Is it possible to change a keyboard key for a more commonly used key as an example there are $,& signs on keyboard keys 4 and 7 respectively, How do I change either key for a more commonly used symbol rather than using 'insert a symbol' feature on MS word?
In MS Word, you have a thing called AutoCorrect options.
Options/Proofing
Now click on big button for AutoCorrect options
Here you can put & in the Replace box, and your desired character(s) in the With box.
Please note that after typing & you will need to hit the space bar in order for it to be replaced by the character of your choice.

The geeky way to do this is with a little free program called AutoHotKey. It is designed for advanced users and/or people used to writing code. If you are neither of the above, you can expect a bit of a learning curve. But it is 100 times more powerful than AutoCorrect options.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.