Advice Request How do I deny MS Edge access to the internet?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ReyKenobi

Thread author
Jul 2, 2019
I recently updated Windows 10 Pro 1809. I believe I was previously on Windows 10 Pro 1803.

I had configured my firewall to block MS Edge from accessing the internet because I use FireFox as my primary browser and I use Edge just for reading PDFs and eBook formats.

But since the update, Edge seems to be able to connect to the internet even tho I have not removed the block rules from my security software (whose name I'd rather not say if its not required), which is puzzling me. Please help me. I want it so that Edge cannot connect to the internet.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Apologies if the post is not in the right section. Newbie here.

ReyKenobi

Thread author
Jul 2, 2019
Did you re-apply these firewall settings after upgrading Windows?
Yes, but just to double check, I just now put the firewall in debug mode, and lo and behold, Microsoft went and changed the app path for one of Edge's executables. Accounting for that, it now works...oh microsoft, whe will it make things easy for users?!

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration, making me double check.

Reactions: upnorth

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
You could give W10 Firewall control (free) a try.
It uses built in Windows Firewall.
Maybe try in contained environment if it works next to ESET Firewall, but usually it should as long as ESET does not shut down Windows Firewall.
As M$ Edge isn't a trusted Windows Process, you should get asked by the time you start M$ Edge to set a rule, even in the free version (never tried a paid one).
I haven't installed it currently (because QuickHeal brings it's own Firewall), but the screenshots here should to the job.
Also you can download the free version from there.

As said, only limitation I found is that legit Windows Processes are autoallowed (and might be misused to call out when hollowed), you need to purchase Plus version AFAIK to be able to edit those.

ReyKenobi

Thread author
Jul 2, 2019
On v1903, Non-Chromium builds:
C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
C:\Windows\System32

Yup, they were both in SystemApps earlier, but now one of them is in System32. (see attachment)

There used to be 2 exe files but now only 1. Blocked that in Eset Firewall but internet is still accessible :unsure:

See attachment for the exe files that need to be blocked.
ESET-EDGE3.png

• Thanks
Reactions: SeriousHoax

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.