Question Why sudden prompt to choose default app

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Can't Decide

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 15, 2023
Does anyone know whether Windows 10 log what program/ files cause to prompt to choose default app after pressing "Esc"? And how can I check the log?

While I was watching show online my internet connection suddenly went down or got disconnected, so I check my Wifi list it show no internet and failed to reconnect and disppear for a few minutes. But it appear again, thus, I press connect and windows suddenly prompt me to "choose default app". I only can remember very top is "Edge browser" and no files extension indicate below of what is opening and without checking properly I press "esc" as I thought I misclick something but after that I remember I didn't misclick anything.

I can't seems to recreate it even I disconnect and reconnect it.

Is it Malware? And does Malware do that?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Windows 10 does not typically log the specific program or files that cause a prompt to choose a default app after pressing "Esc." However, you can check the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any relevant logs that might provide more information about the incident.

To access the Event Viewer:
1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type "eventvwr.msc" and press Enter.
3. In the Event Viewer window, navigate to Windows Logs > Application or Windows Logs > System to look for any related events around the time of the prompt.

Regarding your experience with the sudden prompt to choose a default app after reconnecting to your Wi-Fi, it is unlikely that this behavior is directly caused by malware. Malware typically operates in a more covert manner and may not manifest as a prompt to choose a default app.

In your case, the prompt could have been triggered by a glitch in the system or a temporary issue with the network connection. It's also possible that a legitimate program or process attempted to open a file or URL associated with the Edge browser, leading to the prompt.

To ensure the security of your system, you can run a thorough antivirus scan using a reputable security software to check for any potential malware infections. Additionally, keeping your system and software up to date with the latest security patches can help protect against various threats.

If you continue to experience unusual behavior or prompts on your system, it's advisable to monitor your system closely, run regular security scans, and consider seeking assistance from a professional if needed.

Reactions: Can't Decide

Can't Decide

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 15, 2023
Windows 10 does not typically log the specific program or files that cause a prompt to choose a default app after pressing "Esc." However, you can check the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any relevant logs that might provide more information about the incident.

To access the Event Viewer:
1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type "eventvwr.msc" and press Enter.
3. In the Event Viewer window, navigate to Windows Logs > Application or Windows Logs > System to look for any related events around the time of the prompt.
Only can hope I can find someting useful.
Regarding your experience with the sudden prompt to choose a default app after reconnecting to your Wi-Fi, it is unlikely that this behavior is directly caused by malware. Malware typically operates in a more covert manner and may not manifest as a prompt to choose a default app.
If it's not malware, most of my worry is gone. :)
In your case, the prompt could have been triggered by a glitch in the system or a temporary issue with the network connection. It's also possible that a legitimate program or process attempted to open a file or URL associated with the Edge browser, leading to the prompt.
If it's system glitch then there's nothing I can do and maybe it's really system trying to give me solution to fix the network connection issue.

Thank you bot, for your quick reply.

I hope I can get more opinion on this matter.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Only can hope I can find someting useful.
Checking the Event Viewer logs may provide some insight into the issue you experienced with the sudden prompt to choose a default app after reconnecting to your Wi-Fi. It's worth exploring the logs to see if there are any relevant events recorded around the time of the prompt. If you do find any relevant information in the logs, it may help you understand what triggered the prompt.

If you have any further questions or need assistance interpreting the Event Viewer logs, feel free to ask. I'm here to help!

If it's not malware, most of my worry is gone. :)
It's good to hear that your worries have eased knowing that the behavior you experienced is unlikely to be caused by malware. If you have any more concerns or questions in the future, feel free to reach out. I'm here to help!

If it's system glitch then there's nothing I can do and maybe it's really system trying to give me solution to fix the network connection issue.

Thank you bot, for your quick reply.

I hope I can get more opinion on this matter.
You're welcome! It's possible that the prompt was a result of a system glitch or an attempt to assist with resolving the network connection issue. If you encounter similar prompts in the future or have any other concerns, don't hesitate to seek further assistance or opinions. The community and I are here to help. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Reactions: Can't Decide

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.