Troubleshoot How do I get rid of Windows PIN & Microsoft Account?

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Can't disable PIN and create password for Administrator account.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Tried removing PIN but Windows asks for password, which I do not have because I was forced to create a PIN.

Tried banging my head against the wall a few times and only have headache as a result!
I am setting up my new laptop and M$ forced me to create an M$ account and a PIN :mad: and said I could switch later, delete M$ account, etc. I cannot for the life of me remove PIN and setup a password for Admin account because it asks for current password which I don't have (because M$ forced me to set up a PIN.) :mad:

I'm currently on Windows 10 Home 1809 after a bunch of updates, and I have features not present on my previous machines, e.g. Core Isolation, Secure Boot, etc. I see no option to disable these and my boot time is slower than previous machines. I don't get what's going on here. Any help would be appreciated. :emoji_pray::emoji_pray::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
“Secure Boot” is set in UEFI.
There is a setting to switch to the local user in the account settings.:)
キャプチャ.PNG

Upvote 0

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
If you have outlook/email then your admin password is the same.
I have PIN and MS ask my psw only if I type the wrong PIN a few times which is unlikely. MS account is cool and I would not switch back to local anymore however I understand it can be frustrating for some people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Maybe here:??

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can create an Admin account type without a password, or linked to a Microsoft account.
Note: These steps were created on Windows 10 Pro v1903

Step 1: Windows Settings > Accounts > Family & other users > Under Other users > [Add someone else to this PC].

Step 2: I don't have this person's sign-in information

1565179729631.png

Step 3: Add a user without a Microsoft account

1565179770511.png

Step 4: Pick a Username
Step 5: Leave password field empty

1565179827282.png

Local account now listed here.

1565179937544.png

Step 6: Change type from Standard to Admin.

1565180095727.png

Easy to delete.

1565180159863.png

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Just to clarify and summarize.

When booting the laptop for the first time, MS asked you to make a MS account and pin and you want to disable the PIN?

When making the MS account, I am assuming that it asked you to create a password of some sort for the account? If so, the admin password is the MS account password. Try entering that and it should work.

With W10, MS is linking everything to a MS account. So when you setup a computer for the first time and it asks you to enter your MS account info, it will use that email address as it's "user name" and that account password as the admin password.;)

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It's still possible at first setup to install Windows 10 without a Microsoft account (doen it recently for my mother in law), but not easy:

In 1903 there is the option Offline account (no MS account):

1903-account-screen-100802186-large.jpg

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
When booting the laptop for the first time, MS asked you to make a MS account and pin and you want to disable the PIN?
Yes, I know how to switch from PIN but then I'd be using my M$ password for login instead of a Windows password, which I definitely don't want to do. I'm OK with the PIN for AA but it's not my first choice. I just don't know the exact procedure for changing --> regular AA with Windows password so I can close M$ account and not be locked out. I probably was not clear in my OP.

@Gandalf_The_Grey -
Yes. But when I first started new laptop and updated it was to 1809 and either that option was not present or else I missed it. Now I'm on 1903 but would like to do as described above to @Raiden in this reply. I'm just trying to minimize the number of online accounts I open.

Upvote 0
L

Local Host

It's still possible at first setup to install Windows 10 without a Microsoft account (doen it recently for my mother in law), but not easy:

In 1903 there is the option Offline account (no MS account):

1903-account-screen-100802186-large.jpg
I must ask why you think it's not easy, I never had any problem with it.

This is only a problem for people that rush through setups, the same way Windows 10 always had advanced setup options for privacy settings (which the majorly of users always missed, until Microsoft brought it forward, and some casual users actually believed Microsoft added those options when they were always there).

Is not wise to rush through any setup, is how people get infected with adware (not that would happen with Windows 10, but people miss features like OFFLINE Account).

Upvote 0
P

Pkjfkknm

I am setting up my new laptop and M$ forced me to create an M$ account and a PIN :mad: and said I could switch later, delete M$ account, etc. I cannot for the life of me remove PIN and setup a password for Admin account because it asks for current password which I don't have (because M$ forced me to set up a PIN.) :mad:

I'm currently on Windows 10 Home 1809 after a bunch of updates, and I have features not present on my previous machines, e.g. Core Isolation, Secure Boot, etc. I see no option to disable these and my boot time is slower than previous machines. I don't get what's going on here. Any help would be appreciated. :emoji_pray::emoji_pray::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

settings > email & accounts > select ms account > delete

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I must ask why you think it's not easy, I never had any problem with it.

This is only a problem for people that rush through setups, the same way Windows 10 always had advanced setup options for privacy settings (which the majorly of users always missed, until Microsoft brought it forward, and some casual users actually believed Microsoft added those options when they were always there).

Is not wise to rush through any setup, is how people get infected with adware (not that would happen with Windows 10, but people miss features like OFFLINE Account).
Okay, you're wright it was easy enough, but because it is different on 1903 than before I had to look careful at all the options.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, I know how to switch from PIN but then I'd be using my M$ password for login instead of a Windows password, which I definitely don't want to do. I'm OK with the PIN for AA but it's not my first choice. I just don't know the exact procedure for changing --> regular AA with Windows password so I can close M$ account and not be locked out. I probably was not clear in my OP.

@Gandalf_The_Grey -
Yes. But when I first started new laptop and updated it was to 1809 and either that option was not present or else I missed it. Now I'm on 1903 but would like to do as described above to @Raiden in this reply. I'm just trying to minimize the number of online accounts I open.
Can't you do that from Settings ==> Accounts ?
There is an option to use a local account.
Or is that not what you want?

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Can't you do that from Settings ==> Accounts ?
There is an option to use a local account.
Or is that not what you want?

Can Local account = AA? Curretnly, if I sign in as Administrator to change from PIN --> password it will use M$ password. If I create a new local account am I able to designate it as Administrator? I suppose it all boils down to this question. I never had this confusion when I had no M$ account.

@Local Host @.\urbeat.ps1 maybe I'm just confused???

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can Local account = AA? Curretnly, if I sign in as Administrator to change from PIN --> password it will use M$ password. If I create a new local account am I able to designate it as Administrator? I suppose it all boils down to this question. I never had this confusion when I had no M$ account.
Yes you can.
Hope the following page is still up to date (with 1903):

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Thanks to all above posters for your help but the final piece of the puzzle was found here: How to Completely Delete Your Microsoft Account which provided crystal-like clarity. One issue is that M$ is confusing/sneaky because when you create a new Local account there is no option to designate as administrator. I needed to click on that new account once again in settings (as admin) to change it from SUA to AA. Now that I'm signed into this laptop with new AA I can delete that M$ user account on PC and then delete my Microsoft account. They do not make it clear or easy, and I suppose some would insist it's sneaky.

I appreciate all of your help and once again confirm my belief that How-To Geek is one of the best resources for the ins and outs of Windows world. (y):D

PROBLEM SOLVED! :barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::barefoot::coffee:

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This is actually the definitive guide to removing and deleting M$ account from current Windows 10 1903.

Hallelujiah! My last post in this thread.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.