Troubleshoot How do you diagnose ghost random freezing?

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I have been getting random freezes in Windows 10, I could be playing a game, using a web browser, using a word processer, basically anything and have windows 10 freeze where I have to hard reboot.

I call it a ghost because there is nothing in the event viewer, nothing in the reliability app related to it except "windows was not properly shut down critical error, there is no BSOD screen or nothing in the logs that would give even a hint of what the problem might be.

How do you diagnose a problem that does not leave a trace?

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Most common causes: CPU overheat, error in memory stick, applications conflict (ex Kaspersky with AdGuard, happens to me), registry cleaners.
Very difficult to diagnose just with that description.

Do you control the CPU temperature? Do you use registry cleaners, do you have more than one security application running at the same time?

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Run this in command prompt as an administrator.
sfc /scannow

It can be a variety of issues and almost impossible to pinpoint with the amount of information you have posted.

Hardware or software issues, or a combination of both. I would recommend you use task manger and try to check
for any applications that are not responding or that are showing high CPU, Disk or Power Usage. You may even have
Malware you can post in the malware removal section and get one of the experts on here to do a check if your system is clean.

Set any overclock on CPU and GPU to default also uninstall all necessary software like if you are running multiple AV protection. Make sure you
running the latest drivers and updates for your hardware and OS.

If all else fails, I would format and reinstall a new OS without any 3rd party software and monitor it from there if the problem starts again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I have been getting random freezes in Windows 10, I could be playing a game, using a web browser, using a word processer, basically anything and have windows 10 freeze where I have to hard reboot.

I call it a ghost because there is nothing in the event viewer, nothing in the reliability app related to it except "windows was not properly shut down critical error, there is no BSOD screen or nothing in the logs that would give even a hint of what the problem might be.

How do you diagnose a problem that does not leave a trace?
+1 to all the above suggestions, I would like to add only these.
Remove the memory sticks, clean the contact points with isopropyl alcohol, clean the memory insert points with a blower then reinsert it.
If it fails again, reinstall the cpu with new thermal paste, if its an air cooler clean the fins. Reinstall the gpu, clean the contacts points.

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Upvote 0

Kubla

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jan 22, 2017

The above article maybe helpful as well.

I installed that fix and will have the system up and running today to see what happens, also ordered some new thermal paste it has been a while since I reapplied it, if those don't work then time for a re-install.

Thanks for the heads up about it.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.