Advice Request How do you encrypt your data before cloud backup ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
As you now making backups is really important task which all we need as data loss prevention but we need also protection at the same time especially when using any cloud solution so i want to know :
  1. Which cloud service you suggest/recommend for backups (minimum 3 for redundancy) ?
  2. How do you encrypt your files before uploading them to cloud ? specific tool or software used for that purposes ??

I am carious how do you encrypt your data before sending it your preferred cloud services ? which tools/software do you use to accomplish this task ??
also which cloud service do you find it secure and reliable ??
which type of Encryption do you use for example AES-256 or something else ??

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
All I save in the cloud is my photos and music, so no need to encrypt anything else, I figure its safer on a hard drive in my house.
i am also backup photos/important small files but i think it may need some sort of encryption before uploading. i became paranoid about that after mega accident which for sorry i am using

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I don't actually use cloud storage, but if I did I'd stick my data in encrypted 7-Zip archives.

As for the provider, I'd only use one of the big three (Google, Microsoft & Dropbox), simply because I trust in their ability to keep my data secure.
With that said, Google creeps me out and I make it a point to only use their products when there's no viable alternative, so Drive wouldn't be considered.
Dropbox's free plan offers a pitiful amount of storage so I'd rule it out too.

So OneDrive would be my choice.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

You don't need to use 3 different cloud services as redundancy. One is enough as they make backups too.

Also your solution depends on data you want save. While e.g. music doesn't need encryption, private files like photos need.
And also I wouldn't upload more important files like stuff about your life or password Database, ..

And don't forget that you can use/ host your own cloud with Nextcloud which provide more control about your data which increase privavy and security (if you make good config)

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
i heard about that before.it automatically encrypt files before sending them to cloud correct me i remember well :unsure: :unsure: ??
Desktop client allows you to create an encrypted vault (a safe for your files). You can store this vault in OneDrive or any other cloud storage sync folder. Their mobile client allows you to directly create vaults in your cloud storage. OneDrive and Google Drive and WebDav are supported. The mobile app is paid btw while the desktop version is free of charge.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
Goodsync, Syncovery, ... and others feature client-side encryption, including file/folder name obfuscation.

Everything I have on the 3rd-party cloud is encrypted. IMO, if it doesn't need encrypting, you probably are wasting your cloud dollars on unnecessary storage capacity.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
You don't need to use 3 different cloud services as redundancy. One is enough as they make backups too.
Also your solution depends on data you want save. While e.g. music doesn't need encryption, private files like photos need.
And also I wouldn't upload more important files like stuff about your life or password Database, ..
you got me :D :D yes uploaded password database but after being encrypted by Keepass password manager you think that is wrong ?
so i was thinking to make second encryption for it again what is your opinion ??
And don't forget that you can use/ host your own cloud with Nextcloud which provide more control about your data which increase privavy and security (if you make good config)
i am thinking to construct my own server (buying Network attached server) but i think that need more maintenance/huge capital cost and require a lot of knowledge but good long life solution

Reactions: Protomartyr

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Goodsync, Syncovery, ... and others feature client-side encryption, including file/folder name obfuscation.

Everything I have on the 3rd-party cloud is encrypted. IMO, if it doesn't need encrypting, you probably are wasting your cloud dollars on unnecessary storage capacity.
yes you nailed it .Except in corporation/Enterprise as this task is system admin task

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

you got me :D :D yes uploaded password database but after being encrypted by Keepass password manager you think that is wrong ?
so i was thinking to make second encryption for it again what is your opinion ??
I wouldn't but that's only my own opinion. If you trust the cloud provider (some other PC!) Then that will be okay of course.
Anyway I would then use a keyfile in KeePass beside the password so a attacker can't open your database even if he know the password and compromise the server - if you don't upload the keyfile to that server.

i am thinking to construct my own server (buying Network attached server) but i think that need more maintenance/huge capital cost and require a lot of knowledge but good long life solution
You can pay Nextcloud instances or host it (like I do) on some VPS. I use the (German) Uberspace ones.
Maintenance isn't so hard. You can configure email service so you get notified about updates or you can read other ways like using rss feed about updates news.

Wouldn't open your home network to internet just for backups. That's why I use a VPS

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I wouldn't but that's only my own opinion. If you trust the cloud provider (some other PC!) Then that will be okay of course.
Anyway I would then use a keyfile in KeePass beside the password so a attacker can't open your database even if he know the password and compromise the server - if you don't upload the keyfile to that server.

You can pay Nextcloud instances or host it (like I do) on some VPS. I use the (German) Uberspace ones.
Maintenance isn't so hard. You can configure email service so you get notified about updates or you can read other ways like using rss feed about updates news.

Wouldn't open your home network to internet just for backups. That's why I use a VPS
so you only backup password file offline only for example External Hard drive ??

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Until now and since many years, yes. But on more then one external drive, including places outside of my home (to don't need to fear against fire and else)
yes i was thinking to buy another one (i had already 2 TB HDD i think i may another buy one
what about password manager what do you use ??

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I use KeePass (not any of the forks like XC).

The only thing I miss with KeePass is usage of hardware token (none OTP) so I always have the disadvantage of no real two factor like U2F
Then you didnot depend on online password manager such as 1password or LastPass only offline database created by keepass 🤔🤔??

Mikesierra

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2018
I´m using also a VPS server running Nextcloud to store encrypted cloud backups. You might want to consider either Duplicati 2.x (open source) or Iperius Backup (commercial) to backup your files. If you are really paranoid about your privacy that´s the way to go because you are the ONLY one who has full control over his data.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I´m using also a VPS server running Nextcloud to store encrypted cloud backups. You might want to consider either Duplicati 2.x (open source) or Iperius Backup (commercial) to backup your files. If you are really paranoid about your privacy that´s the way to go because you are the ONLY one who has full control over his data.
i installed crytomator as @The Cog in the Machine suggested above.may also try duplicati do you know if it the same concept of cryptomator or not :unsure: :unsure: ?

Mikesierra

Level 2
Verified
Feb 26, 2018
Honestly, I didn´t try Cryptomator yet because I prefer to keep things as simple as possible and don´t want to use several tools to achieve something. From my perspective I would say that the concepts are different except the fact that both applications can encrypt your data safely. But why not try both Duplicati and Cryptomator so you can see yourself which concept better fit your needs? :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.