Advice Request How do you encrypt your data before cloud backup ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
You might want to consider either Duplicati 2.x...
IMO Duplicati isn't ready for mission-critical storage. I've also had issues restoring backups from an alternate host machine. If the PC I used to run Duplicati fails, my cloud backups don't restore using Duplicati from an alternate machine. Maybe your luck is better.

Duplicacy seems more stable.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

For windows it exist GPG4Win which is a GPG/ PGP port for Windows and it's maintained.

Beside encryption questions: with that tool, you can use hardware token like Nitrokey and if the private key is generated on that (and not shared with PC), no one can decrypt your data!
Same is also possible with VeraCrypt which can use SmartCards like Nitrokey as keyfile.

Hardware token are maximum for security

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
For windows it exist GPG4Win which is a GPG/ PGP port for Windows and it's maintained.

Beside encryption questions: with that tool, you can use hardware token like Nitrokey and if the private key is generated on that (and not shared with PC), no one can decrypt your data!
Same is also possible with VeraCrypt which can use SmartCards like Nitrokey as keyfile.

Hardware token are maximum for security
Good to know about hardware token. i will check it but could i turn external HDD to have same feature "HDD space is huge compared to usb stick ??

Reactions: [correlate]

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
You can't use a normal device as hardware token. This is same for HDD/ SSD and USB Sticks.
Then it is just be suitable for very sensitive data with small size.but for routinely backed up data it will not suitable or handy for this task or storing encryption keys as stated on their website

Reactions: [correlate]
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Then it is just be suitable for very sensitive data with small size.but for routinely backed up data it will not suitable or handy for this task
Nah you don't understand. A hardware token isn't usable for files. It's a not writable device which only provide the Smartcard Feature while protect itself against manipulation.
You can see it as (hardware) two factor.

As I say both VeraCrypt and GPG support such SmartCards for encryption. So without that, a attacker can't do anything.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Nah you don't understand. A hardware token isn't usable for files. It's a not writable device which only provide the Smartcard Feature while protect itself against manipulation.
You can see it as (hardware) two factor.

As I say both VeraCrypt and GPG support such SmartCards for encryption. So without that, a attacker can't do anything.
ok thanks again i will read more about this type of hardware

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hey guys, i was reading the full thread and found a lot of good information.

I was wondering if you can you help me with one matter (as it seems you know a lot about cloud backup)?

How can i backup a full system image directly to Google Drive? I have an account with a lot of space, but my local HD doesn't have enough space to handle a full system backup regularly in a way that i could maintain the offline and online backups. I have enough space only in the cloud. So i would need to create and increment it directly through the cloud...

I'm currently using AOMEI backupper and i use the option to add encryption when i create a backup, so it shouldnt be a problem.

ty

DDE_Server

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Hey guys, i was reading the full thread and found a lot of good information.

I was wondering if you can you help me with one matter (as it seems you know a lot about cloud backup)?

How can i backup a full system image directly to Google Drive? I have an account with a lot of space, but my local HD doesn't have enough space to handle a full system backup regularly in a way that i could maintain the offline and online backups. I have enough space only in the cloud. So i would need to create and increment it directly through the cloud...

I'm currently using AOMEI backupper and i use the option to add encryption when i create a backup, so it shouldnt be a problem.

ty
Using Aomei backupper make the default path for backup in the cloud but I think you should have some space in the hard drive to synchronize your cloud in the hard drive then copy the back ups to it this the only way I know
I have folder in my hard drive called Google drive which is synchronized with my cloud so if I make Aomei backupper makes it backup in it it should be automatically uploaded on the cloud

Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I am using cryptomator for client side encryption for important files before I upload them on SYNC cloud which also uses its own client side encryption.
Wow! I would not use Sync if you are using cryptomator. I would go for a cheaper option such as OneDrive. But have two encryptions? This is two much.

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

Wow! I would not use Sync if you are using cryptomator. I would go for a cheaper option such as OneDrive. But have two encryptions? This is two much.
I am using their free plan, 10 GB is enough for me. Double encryption is for important documents only like backup codes of 2FA and backup file of andOTP. I store them in cloud because if something goes wrong with my devices I am not locked out of my accounts. Also they are in Vault folder of SYNC.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.