Advice Request How do you know if you want an Intel or AMD processor?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
AMD always been for people that like multitasking, editing, programming, people that stream live its nice to have many cores

Intel is more for gamers , single core power is insane

Im playing old java based games wich only uses one core, it sucks because i have 6 cores ;)
Where can i get some old java based games? ( sorry for off topic discussion)

Cheeseman

Level 1
Jun 10, 2020
As many people said earlier, Intel used to make the very best cpu money can buy. Amd with its current Ryzen/Ryzen Threadripper series essentially destroyed Intel who is sadly only can release the same cpus under different name (and sometimes different prices).
When it comes to gaming and only gaming, intel's Ix (where x can be 3;5;7 or 9)is the go, albeit ryzen 3;5;7 series only offers a few fps less than intel. (albeit at a fraction of its price).
In terms of heavy use, Threadripper is the best option. "Sadly" Amd's absolute top of the line (as of the writing, the new Threadripper Pro series are not avaible yet) Threadripper 3990X is borderline a slightly stripped down Epyc Datacenter-grade processor. A similar Xeon series is about 30k$ (it uses 2 cpu) while the Threadripper is 4k$...
Only intel fanatics/very few people who uses some intel-only tech would buy an intel cpu. The rest would buy Amd.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I want an Intel i9. Flat out. The problem is that there are too many vulnerabilities and the microcode needed to patch them affects the very performance I would be paying for...dearly. Are they gone in the 10th+ generations, or would there be new ones to discover? I don't know.

I know for a fact the Meldown/Spectre microcode affects (slows) my 6700K. I don't need software to prove this. Intel claims performance impact is "minimal." Whatever.

So, even the most stubborn Intel-minded people can be slowly caving to AMD. Slowly but surely.

L

Local Host

AMD has the best price/performance of the market, is all I need.

Not interested in wasting 400€ on a single piece of hardware, I'm fine with playing at 1080p60FPS as for productivity I don't need anything fancy (even an APU will do).

The difference between Intel and AMD is minimal to justify the high prices from Intel, not to mention Intel ridiculous thermal and power draw, due to them still being stuck at 14nm while AMD is already at 7nm.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I had the impression that AMD was the second choice with a compatible cpu. I think Intel is chosen by name recognition and AMD by performance.
It is also not affected by environmental dependencies such as the relationship between graphics cards and games, which makes selection difficult.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
If it's a desktop PC I always prefer AMD. I've had really bad luck with socket pins on intel motherboards. On AMD the CPU has the socket pins and they are really very strong compared to the weak pins on Intel motherboards.

If it's a laptop, it probably doesn't matter either way.
Intel method allows smaller pins and ones that are harder to break on the more expansive component (CPU).
But this doesn't really matter.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Intel laptops usually have slightly better performance, but AMD CPUs offer better battery life, they heat less and are cheaper, so all in all AMD has better value, especially for low end and mid range laptops. Also, AMD processors with integrated graphics (AMD Vega) perform better than Intel's UHD Graphics, so if I decided to buy a laptop with integrated graphics, I would choose AMD.

Reactions: [correlate]

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Intel laptops usually have slightly better performance, but AMD CPUs offer better battery life, they heat less and are cheaper, so all in all AMD has better value, especially for low end and mid range laptops. Also, AMD processors with integrated graphics (AMD Vega) perform better than Intel's UHD Graphics, so if I decided to buy a laptop with integrated graphics, I would choose AMD.
Source that Intel has better performance?
please provide an example comparing competing offering such as R5 4000 VS I5 10TH GEN

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.