How do you set up your computer after reinstall?

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
What are the first things you do after a fresh install? And what you should do :)? Are there any threads about this?

My way:

Disconnect PC from internet. Install and configure AV (offline installation). Restart PC. Install drivers for GPU, restart, install rest of the drivers, rest of my files, restart, connect to internet, let the OS update, restart - good to go :D

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My procedure is not installing any software until everything is working smooth, meaning this:

1. Clean install
2. Install al drivers and Windows Updates
3. Install Office
4. Install all Office updates
5. Install antivirus and reboot
6. Install the rest of the basic programs

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Remove all previous Windows partitions - 10 increased Recovery over the years to 500MB, upgrading multiplies them
Install 10 on GPT partition using UEFI from USB made by Universal USB Installer - Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
[Batch] Windows Setup 1 - Pastebin.com - Disable bloatware, then enable internet, activate, install Windows updates, uninstall store/apps, restart
[Batch] Windows Setup 2 - Pastebin.com - Install software and drivers, in the meantime setup software (extract ini files) and browser (sync), restart
[Batch] Windows Defender Disable - Pastebin.com - self-explanatory, restart
[Batch] Windows Tweaks - Pastebin.com - cripple Windows for good, restart
[Batch] Windows Cleanup - Pastebin.com - perform a cleanup, restart
Boot Windows USB again and defrag HDD from CMD

All of this takes about an hour and it is finished. :geek:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
  1. Install all Windows Updates.
  2. Install Total Uninstall, so that I can cleanly uninstall any software I install.
  3. Install missing drivers and driver updates. I use driver update software for this.
  4. Install antivirus, VPN, browser, backup software etc.
  5. Backup system with AOMEI Backupper.
I don't like doing clean installs. Once I have my system configured how I want, and have installed software I need, I don't want to be doing that again for a very long time. My current install of Windows, should not slow down over time, as whenever I uninstall security software for example, with Total Uninstall it will remove all traces, so there will be notihng left which can conflict with other software and cause issues or slowdowns.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
My procedure :

Install windows on offline account ( internet connection disabled ) I make a backup of the registry with tweaking. Com registry backup and mbr backup with hdhacker. Than apply all the privacy regarded tweaks) provided by o&o shutup 10 and wpd and other tweaks I prefer. Then I connect to the internet and let windows do all of the updates. Now I clean all the remnants from the system that came with the updates and do a backup with macrium reflect free. Next step is installing nvt sys hardener and apply the tweaks of choice. Back up again with macrium. Install all the rest of the software and do another backup, also like to apply privacy and security related tweaks to Chrome and yandex at this stage and do a backup again. Final step is to install my antivirus / firewall of choice...

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Clean Installation:

Update Windows.
Access Windows.old for Nvidia, Realtek, Samsung and chipset driver installations
Install adjunct security software (2)
Access Windows.old for system configurations backup (Control panel, Settings, group policy, registry)
Install all other third party (Steam, Chrome, etc.)
Go out for a jog (optional)

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Disconnect ethernet cable before installing from USB.
  1. After first launch of windows desktop I disable defender via Gpedit.msc (so that following process becomes slightly faster) and then install essential drivers first like chipset, SATA AHCI, GPU, touchpad (Asus ATK package before that)
  2. After finishing with all required reboots I connect to internet, let windows update itself. Reboot.
  3. Uninstall/disable unnecessary apps and services.
  4. Reboot and clean windows update backups, cache and log files.
  5. Full defrag, cause hdd :(
  6. Install all apps and finish with either enabling defender or installing 3rd party AV.
  7. Finish with a system image backup.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
PREP
-Prepare a list of programs to install and retrieve security installer
-Make sure the Windows product key is available (written down or visible on another monitor)

WINDOWS
-Install Windows

-Comodo Programs Manager
-Drivers (Keep them on a USB drive for this)
-Security (Installers on same USB drive)

-Update Security software
-Windows Updates
-Programs
-Restore files from image backup or thumb drive (if necessary)
-Adjust settings as necessary and clean the leftovers of Windows updates

This way Comodo Programs Manager records everything, including drivers. I usually wait a couple of weeks for the first image backup. Seems like much or maybe most of the work is invested in adjusting settings of programs and in Windows, so I prefer to wait until then. Gives me a chance to think about changing security etc, and I don't like alot of massive PC writes->try to minimize them.

After a clean install I try as hard as I can not to install a lot of junky programs.

@shum26->always the disciplined PC-ionado :) I try but it only works for maybe a week or two before I am testing software if it's the main PC etc...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Update Windows.
Access Windows.old for Nvidia, Realtek, Samsung and chipset driver installations
Install adjunct security software (2)
Access Windows.old for system configurations backup (Control panel, Settings, group policy, registry)
Install all other third party (Steam, Chrome, etc.)
Go out for a jog (optional)

How does one go about migrating drivers and Windows settings from Windows.old? That's a very smooth methodology...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@shum26->always the disciplined PC-ionado :) I try but it only works for maybe a week or two before I am testing software if it's the main PC etc...
I said I try. I did not say I succeed. :)

Reactions: oldschool

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
Install, drivers, codecs ( always get the last update from every1 at their oficial web save on external drive before install clean ) then configure every aspect i like via config, visual etc. Make macrium image, then install AV, firewall + all protection programs plus brownser extensions + all others programs i will use.

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
  1. Install all Windows Updates.
  2. Install Total Uninstall, so that I can cleanly uninstall any software I install.
  3. Install missing drivers and driver updates. I use driver update software for this.
  4. Install antivirus, VPN, browser, backup software etc.
  5. Backup system with AOMEI Backupper.
I don't like doing clean installs. Once I have my system configured how I want, and have installed software I need, I don't want to be doing that again for a very long time. My current install of Windows, should not slow down over time, as whenever I uninstall security software for example, with Total Uninstall it will remove all traces, so there will be notihng left which can conflict with other software and cause issues or slowdowns.

I think I've found another good install monitor..."Reg Organizer"...Reg Organizer 8.28 - Maintenance, Cleanup and Optimization for Windows

Reactions: AtlBo

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.