How far can MalwareTips Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi MT members! How far can our forum go? How many new members can we get to register on our forum?
I've just been here for a few months and part of that time I wasn't active. MT is a great forum. We have the friendliest members you ever want to be around. We have two of the best malware fighters that I have ever seen, and I've seen quite a few in my short PC life. We have members that spend their time testing malware programs and report their findings with great videos. Mt has great free give a way's all the time.
That's all great and will attract new members. How many members will hang around after TwinHeadedEagal and Argus clean up their infected PC's and they get a great freebie. I don't have that answer??
The only way this forum can stay on line is if it makes money. Yup It takes $$ to keep this kind of forum running and it ain't cheap. All the things mentioned above are great and there's not another forum that can touch MT on these things. I don't know how to test new malware programs to see how one measures up along side of another. I have not been trained to fight malware. I don't have the dedication or the brains to spend a year to learn how. What I do know pretty well is W7. I can recover my PC from just about any thing. The only thing I can ofter here on MT is my knowledge of W7. I have tried to do that that in the last month. I love to help someone that posts a thread that their PC won't boot windows. That's where my knowledge lies. MT seldom gets threads like that. I'm not sure MT wants those kind of members, but IMHO if MT wants to grow,then we will have to attract new members. I think Mt needs to branch out to other things besides just malware. I'm not sure MT wants to do that! These are my thoughts and my suggestions tonight.
A forum needs $$ from companies. Companies put their $$ where the people are, so MT needs members. The more members, the more $$ from advertising companies. That's the way this works IMHO.
I can see MT growing every day and maybe what MT is doing now will be enough.
These are just my thoughts. I would like to see a section that says "Windows 7 help" or W8 help"
Your thoughts???

My question is "How can we attract more members to our forum??"

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Well frankly MT has been around since January of 2011 without any ads.It has been online now for a month shy of 4 years.Personally I think the site is more than just malware.It offers malware removal,Security software,PC,Mobile security and tech discussion.Reviews,tutorials in all facets of computing and operating systems.Offers a place to post,share and discuss anything tech,security,gaming,malware,news,software,different operating systems,Android,iOS,tablet,phone no matter what level of experience you possess without feeling intimidated.It is not just malware related but a site dedicated to Security and Computing which happens to include malware and help removing malware.
As far as money goes you would have to ask the owner on that but one thing I do know is after 4 years with close to 20,000 members it is not going away and there seems to be no point in changing the way it is right now.These types of forums are probably the hottest thing going right now with the amount of malware,exploits and hacking going on. The update to Xenforo platform was a very big boost to the site.A websites reputation is more valuable than money and a website that offers what we offer without any ads,especially free malware removal,is going to keep a steady stream of new members and an ever growing member database.
There will always be very active,active and not so active members on every site everywhere no matter what the site is about.We are constantly offered giveaway licenses from quality vendors because the site is what it is.I would say not to worry,if it aint broke don't fix it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
My question is "How can we attract more members to our forum??"

Its simply that MalwareTips has already provided social networking sites to notify this enriched forum type and through members promoting it.

Giveaways with Exclusive partnerships also added to this factors on why so many people wanted to join.

And also its a time where so many guest visited this forum everyday with such average of numbers, few or more wanted to join in such surprise way. :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I may not be looking in the right sections of the forum. I seldom see a member posting that their PC won't boot windows.
That's where my knowledge is the strongest. I fix and repair.That's my thing!
That's all I'm saying.
PS Maybe I better look around the forum better and see what all MT offers their members!;)
Thanks for your thoughts!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Maybe a Windows help section would fit in OK. A lot of us who are still on the up in the learning curve need a bit of help from time to time.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I just discovered that I haven't been opening a lot of the sub titles. I think I have found some sub titles where I can offer my help.
I usually just click on 'What's new". I think I have been missing some good stuff. I'm going to do some more searching and see where I can best help MT on things I have learned.;)

Hi! Here's my question! I'm a new member; and I just found this forum and I clicked on the forum, and I can't boot windows.
What section would I post my thread in"Hi can you help me. I can't boot into windows." Or Maybe this question. "Hi I don't have any audio."
Or this question. "Hi I see lights and I hear my HD spin up, but my screen is black.
Where would I post these things on MT??
I'm not trying to chance MT and maybe MT doesn't want to chance. These are just my thoughts. The above questions are asked on all help forums. I realize MT is different and that's a good thing. After surfing MT, I think I have found some sections where I can offer my help.

I

illumination

Hi! Here's my question! I'm a new member; and I just found this forum and I clicked on the forum, and I can't boot windows.
What section would I post my thread in"Hi can you help me. I can't boot into windows." Or Maybe this question. "Hi I don't have any audio."
Or this question. "Hi I see lights and I hear my HD spin up, but my screen is black.
Where would I post these things on MT??
I'm not trying to chance MT and maybe MT doesn't want to chance. These are just my thoughts. The above questions are asked on all help forums. I realize MT is different and that's a good thing. After surfing MT, I think I have found some sections where I can offer my help.
There are two main sections for software and hardware help on the main board.

Software and Hardware Questions and Help

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
There are two main sections for software and hardware help on the main board.
Thanks for your reply. I have only been a member on MT for a few months. Maybe I haven't searched hard enough. I have not seen one member post that they are getting a BSOD. I have not seen one member post that they are getting a black screen.
I have started several threads on MT. One was how I diagnose and go about fixing BSOD. IF I clicked on MT and had those problems, I wouldn't know where to ask about those problems, or post my question. Is this why I don't see these questions being asked??
This is what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying MT needs to make any drastic changes and maybe Jack doesn't want these kind of questions.
I'm just offering my thoughts and looking for ways to get more members on MT.

Here's what I want to see in the future. At least 2000 users clicked on to MT including members and guests scanning the forum at any one given time. I have seen almost a 1000 at times. I want to double that number.;). Does anyone know the record number on users on MT at a given time??

WOW! This is great stuff. It's very well hidden however. How can we make this easier for new members to see? This is my kind a stuff!;)
http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-use-any-back-up-software.29450/

It's all here friends! Old Donetao just didn't know where to look. I'll blame senility.
It could however be a little easier to find if that could be achieved.;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
*smiling* donetao, my friend, your enthusiasm is energizing!:p
In fact, it makes my freshly brewed combination Kauai/French Roast PM cup of "my other vitamin C" (coffee) pale in comparison!:D If Malware Tips were a person running for office, you'd definitely be a member of the campaign staff!!:):)

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
*smiling* donatao, my friend, your enthusiasm is energizing!:p
In fact, it makes my freshly brewed combination Kauai/French Roast PM cup of "my other vitamin C" (coffee) pale in comparison!:D If Malware Tips were a person running for office, you'd definitely be a member of the campaign staff!!:D
Go ahead and make my day once again my friend as you have done many times.;) Your way of posting and your use of the English language is amazing to this old country boy.;)
Thanks! Friend!

Maybe a Windows help section would fit in OK. A lot of us who are still on the up in the learning curve need a bit of help from time to time.
Thanks friend for your reply! You should never stop learning. If you don't use it; you lose it! I forget as much as I learn, but that's OK at my age.:rolleyes:

http://malwaretips.com/styles/MalwareTips/xenforo/MalwareTips-Logo-Christmas.pngHO HO! Happy Holidays MT! The old man still remembers a few tricks he learned over his short time of using a stupid computer and being on forums (2004.):rolleyes: I think I have some thing I can give back and MT is where I want to do that!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It's all here friends! Old Donetao just didn't know where to look. I'll blame senility.
It could however be a little easier to find if that could be achieved.;)

That's ok, all of us before went on such confusing part on where would we start or find here before. :D

You may use search engine of Google, Yahoo or Bing since it indexes all the threads everytime therefore you cannot cause so much trouble to search for it. (Bots)

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Sounds like I'm similar. I'm not a malware fighter, I don't test new software/hardware, I don't use VM's. But I do know my way around windows 8.1 and it's foibles. As so many new PCs have Win 8 already installed, I find myself having to help people out when they have problems with it and so on.
On another thread, MT has been an excellent site in the fact that I have learnt so much about the various malwares, how to strengthen defences and ultimately avoid malwares - MT has been an absolutely invaluable site for this. I became a member because of my mega adware problem, but have stayed within the forums as there's always something new and I'm still learning :cool:

Reactions: frogboy
E

eight

I think it is better to be a Master of One than being a Jack of All.

MalwareTips as the name goes should specialize only in adware / malware & other protection related issues.

For Mac / Windows related issues there a dime a dozen forums out there in a multitude of languages.

I do not go to Burger King if I desire a subway nor do I go to Dunkin' Donuts if I fancy fried chicken.

Similarly if you come to MalwareTips you are here for issues related to bugs & viruses.

Plain & simple.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
A little diversification cannot hurt at all i don't think. More fun for all then. A better learning curve for all can be had. :D:D

Reactions: donetao
E

eight

A little diversification cannot hurt at all i don't think

Sure it will not hurt at all. I personally am not much in to multi-tasking though.

A better learning curve for all can be had

You do not enrol for a Physics class if you wish to learn how to dissect a frog :D no pun intended.

That you learn in a Biology class.

They are both Sciences right but there are separate classes & different teachers for them both.

If this was WindowsTips I would not debate on this at all but it is MalwareTips so stick with it.

Just my two cents.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
A forum name does not particularly mean it has to stick to just that topic. Malware,security,computing,software,backups,operating systems,new technology and help with all of these are basically all intertwined and each one separately can have an impact on malware.If you are interested in security and malware then you are more than likely using a PC and with that comes other topics and software.Frankly it would be a pretty boring place if it was just related to one specific topic

I

illumination

MalwareTips, as the name applies on the Header, is a "security advising forum". It is a place people can go to learn to enhance the security of their systems, a place to get help with malware related issues. It is also a place if your having software issues and hardware issues that can slow or stop any daily progress, you may obtain help from. As @exterminator20 stated above, just about all Tech related subjects are discussed here. There is no need to change the way the forum is set up, it is brilliantly balanced.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think it is better to be a Master of One than being a Jack of All.

MalwareTips as the name goes should specialize only in adware / malware & other protection related issues.

For Mac / Windows related issues there a dime a dozen forums out there in a multitude of languages.

I do not go to Burger King if I desire a subway nor do I go to Dunkin' Donuts if I fancy fried chicken.

Similarly if you come to MalwareTips you are here for issues related to bugs & viruses.

Plain & simple.

Technically, sometimes we need to deal what's the trend and which becomes very interesting for most visitors who visits forums everyday therefore its a mix up which compatible in related of computer security and technology. :)

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I will make my last comment and get off my stump before I get in more trouble. All the comments that were made here on this topic were good. I will repeat myself. Not all MT members that log on here every day are trained in fighting malware or down loading infections and testing programs that prevent them. It seems to me there are a lot of members that want to contribute to MT in other ways.
The forum may have been designed for the above and that's a good thing. I will find other ways where I can contribute to MT.
I also don't think the 900+ that log on here each day are here to just learn about security programs. I have been wrong many times, so this wouldn't be the first time. The forum may cover more than just security, but I just don't see people posting about them. Maybe I'm just missing them. The posts I see each time I click "Whats New" are 99% security related. I realize that security and malware was the big reason Jack started this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.