Advice Request how good is Kaspersky AntiVirus, as compared to KIS?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As far as I know, the main difference is that KAV does not have Application Control, but Kaspersky Internet Security does.
Does this make a big difference in protection?
I am asking because I want to combo Kaspersky with an app that has a HIPS component, so I need to use KAV rather than KIS.

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Application control and Trusted Applications Mode are a great additional layer of protection. Which app do you want to add to Kaspersky? IMO KIS would be the best. TAM is really great.

H

hjlbx

As far as I know, the main difference is that KAV does not have Application Control, but Kaspersky Internet Security does.
Does this make a big difference in protection?
I am asking because I want to combo Kaspersky with an app that has a HIPS component, so I need to use KAV rather than KIS.

KAV is just Windows Defender on steroids...

H

hjlbx

I saw you commented the same about Avira.
would you choose KAV over Avira?

Given the choice - and I didn't have to pay for it - KAV.

Given the choice - and I do have to pay for it - Avira Free.

Avira has a lot of running processes.

There is no definitive answer as to which will work best on your specific hardware and combination of installed software without trialing both first.

I'd stick with Windows Defender and invest system resources (and money) in something other than antivirus.

H

hjlbx

Well, these steroids are really powerfull then :p System Watcher does a great job, I won't even compare traditional signatures.

I know what the Kaspersky System Watcher marketing materials state that it does, but what it actually does in reality is different.

System Watcher is good to have, but its algorithms are limited. This is the same issue with COMODO's Viruscope - which is nothing more than a copycat version of System Watcher.

What I am saying is not a dig on Kaspersky, but instead just pointing out reality for what it is.

So much of security soft marketing is just plain hyperbole.

What you don't know about your security softs can hurt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.