Advice Request How good is PrivateVPN?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
It's a long time since I tried it - The VPN's I trust are getting less as time goes on - On a personal basis Mullvad it one I trust & has some nice features but it's a personal choice - OVPN is another VPN I trust somewhat but has a limited server base for me that's about it. :):)

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

It's been a while since I tested it quickly, and I didn't like it.

First of all, the speed. They are below what I can get with NordVPN, MullVad, ExpressVPN and others. Indeed, PrivateVPN relies on OpenVPN which is old and relatively heavy...
Wireguard would have been better, because it is more recent, and has fewer lines of code!

Then, I didn't find it as "Private" ...
It didn't take me long to break the VPN with a web request... my real IP was displayed...
Usually the VPN holds up, but it can happen.

And finally, the VPN is under US jurisdiction, which makes me run away :)

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
For speeds, I don't care, as long as I get enough speeds which are adequate to my needs. I don't do heavy uploading, nor stream or download very large files.
Wireguard will be implemented within the PrivateVPN application itself soon later. But for the moment, I don't care if it's not implemented yet. I am fine without Wireguard.

Any VPN being under US jurisdiction, is not a big deal for me.
"Privacy policies are like love promises, if you want to commit a crime use onion. If you just want to torrenting, any VPN will give you the anonymity that you need." Wrote @Freud2004 before in one of his posts here.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I don't know about PrivateVPN, but I have great experiences with AirVPN and Mullvad. With having used AirVPN the longest, due to its very extensive feature set in the web/account client-interface. Setting up specific ports, dns blocking etc... Might be worth a look, if you're in need of a VPN. You can take a look with any registered account, and not needing a subscription or topped up days, to see if it's something for you.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I would avoid anything that has to name itself "Private", "Secret", "Best", "Fastest" ... this that or the other... You can be assured theirs is false braggadocio.

• Applause
Reactions: Sorrento

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Never Trust VPN companies that USED Russian Servers!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.