Advice Request How good is SecureAPlus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
this app is a default/deny solution coupled with a multiple cloud scanner. Seems to be popular in the Far East.
It is presently offering a 1.5 year free license.
How good is it, compared to similar software?
I haven't seen it discussed very much here on MT, and no one seems to be actively testing it in the malwarehub, as far as I can tell.

So, what do you guys say about it?

snarky comments about the childish GUI are not necessary, because I can see that for myself...

M

MalwareBlockerYT

this app is a default/deny solution coupled with a multiple cloud scanner. Seems to be popular in the Far East.
It is presently offering a 1.5 year free license.
How good is it, compared to similar software?
I haven't seen it discussed very much here on MT, and no one seems to be actively testing it in the malwarehub, as far as I can tell.

So, what do you guys say about it?

snarky comments about the childish GUI are not necessary, because I can see that for myself...
I work in the Malware Hub but haven't got the badge yet because I've only been doing it for a week or two...

From my testing SecureAPlus is pretty good but I much prefer VoodooShield. SecureAPlus has a scan which is a Full Scan - you cannot change the scan type & it takes hour & hours of time to scan the PC. For whitelisting I prefer VoodooShield & in terms of Prevention VoodooShield gets pretty much 99%/100% of threats when I tested it last.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
this is really what I want to know: how reliable is the default/deny function? If it is solid, then the multiple-cloud scanner is just a frill, so it doesn't matter if the server is down or the scan takes a long time, etc.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

this is really what I want to know: how reliable is the default/deny function? If it is solid, then the multiple-cloud scanner is just a frill, so it doesn't matter if the server is down or the scan takes a long time, etc.
If you want a really solid whitelisting application or Prevention application then I'd personally go with VoodooShield - I've found it to be more reliable when testing & has a better detection rate.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you want a really solid whitelisting application or Prevention application then I'd personally go with VoodooShield - I've found it to be more reliable when testing & has a better detection rate.
thanks. what do you think makes SAP less reliable? Is it maybe because the rules for script execution are more lenient?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
VS just came out with a major update. Maybe I will give it whirl

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
That is a good question & yes that could be a reason. I think VoodooShield is much more sensitive.
SAP takes a middle ground on scripts and powershell commands: it tries to allow functionality for IT management, but at the same time, it has rules to block typical malware behavior.
VS, by contrast, doesn't split hairs. It just blocks. That is how it looks to me, anyway.

I already have Process Lasso which I use to disenable script interpreters and command line utilities, so maybe SAP is good for me. I just tried out the new build of VS, and I already ran into a problem.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

SAP takes a middle ground on scripts and powershell commands: it tries to allow functionality for IT management, but at the same time, it has rules to block typical malware behavior.
VS, by contrast, doesn't split hairs. It just blocks. That is how it looks to me, anyway.

I already have Process Lasso which I use to disenable script interpreters and command line utilities, so maybe SAP is good for me. I just tried out the new build of VS, and I already ran into a problem.
What's the problem?

M

MalwareBlockerYT

In my opinion:

Reliability: VoodooShield
Scan: SAP (has a scan unlike VoodooShield)
Whitelisting/Prevention: VoodooShield
Backup to your AV: VoodooShield

VoodooShield can block a lot of programs that you normally use but as soon as you train it - eg. Training mode or create Snapshots then it's perfect :) But I've never had an issue where it blocks my normal applications - it knows they're clean & doesn't interfere.

XxX Legolas XxX

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 20, 2016
I work in the Malware Hub but haven't got the badge yet because I've only been doing it for a week or two...

From my testing SecureAPlus is pretty good but I much prefer VoodooShield. SecureAPlus has a scan which is a Full Scan - you cannot change the scan type & it takes hour & hours of time to scan the PC. For whitelisting I prefer VoodooShield & in terms of Prevention VoodooShield gets pretty much 99%/100% of threats when I tested it last.

Test SAP vs Voodoo and we'll see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.