How good is Shade Sandbox?

photontorpedos

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 27, 2016
What should I be using it for? (I don't do malware testing, I'm more of a layman consumer.) What are its shortcomings?

Reactions: Dirk41

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Considering its free, you can always use it if you feel the need to use one. Like for example, many swear by another sandbox by the name of Sandboxie. I personally think its overkill to load the system with products to plug in any possible hole in the system.

I am more of a 1 to 2 solutions max user: i.e VOODOO SHIELD + WD; Kaspersky + VDS, etc.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Shade Sandbox is indeed good alternative for isolating applications however certain issues occur during premature development like clearing the contents. ( Assume through updates, the issue is fix)

Another positive outlook where certain possible malicious programs have no access to execute Window programs even though isolated; thus restricted automatically.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I tried ShadeSandbox before I move to Sandboxie.

Personally I quite like it. It's easier than Sanboxie in terms to the UI. Just drag-and-drop your program you wish to sandbox into the ShadeSandbox and you're good to go.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
If you want something easy to use then Shade is it. There are almost no complicated options to confuse you, simply drag and drop an applications shortcut onto the main window and the next time you run the application (from any location) it will be sandboxed.
When Shade is first installed Chome, IE and Firefox default to being sandoxed so you will need to remove these if you don't want them to sandboxed.

The interface is sparse to say the least and a little rough around the edges. On my system when Chrome was sandboxed the colored border didn't always surround the window and looked corrupted.

I found sometimes that the option to clean the sandox didn't always work. This seemed to be caused by applications that didn't like being sandboxed. When closed their process would remain in Task Manager in a suspended state. I could then only remove the process by running "TASKKILL /F process.exe" from the command line.

I'm not sure if Shade is being actively developed as it hasn't had any updates in some time. To me it would appear to be more of a proof of concept than a proper released application. However it does work albeit with limitations.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I had problem with signing into my user profile in chrome.
Is this problem solved?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.