How long ago did I post about Chrome??

Status
Not open for further replies.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
If I have, I'm sorry /// I was in the mood to reply.
It's not a problem friend. I was only joking with you my friend. I'm probably in big trouble for starting this thread. I'm just tired of people making excuses for Google Chrome. They have no excuse. I outed IObit a very long time ago for being a thief and I paid the price for that. It seems I never know when to shut my big mouth. I care! I am who I am! I wish I could change. It would sure make my forum life a lot easier.:(:(for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxygen

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Is it possible for you to post the VT results or upload a sample the next time you encounter the "chrome virus"? I would like to know what exactly are you facing before I can give more specific recommendations for your seniors as I don't think we even know how they got it in the first place.
Hi! @Cch123 I'm not trained in malware. I have my way of cleaning a infected PC. It's been awhile sense I cleaned the PC that had a corrupted Chrome browser. I remember the PC was locked up on a strange home page. Sorry I don't remember what the page said. The OS was W8.1 and I'm really not that familiar with W8.1.I clicked on IE browser and it wouldn't let me go on the internet. I had helped the senior before and had installed MBAM on it. I finally managed to get to MBAM after shutting down a couple of times. The reason I was shutting down was because I was trying to get in safe mode, which I never got there. I manage to get to MBAM and ran it. MBAM found 1205 threats. 12 were malicious and the others were PUP's. After cleaning with MBAM the PC was working well. I went on the internet and down loaded Adwcleaner just to see if it found any thing. Then I down loaded ESET on line scanner and neither found any more threats. I had the senior try it. She clicked on Chrome and the PC locked up like it did before. I told her I didn't like chrome and I would use Firefox or IE. She said she used Firefox on her old computer. I attempted to uninstall Chrome and finally managed to get rid of it with REVO uninstaller. The computer was working just fine when I let.I was in a hurry as I had another commitment . She said she would install Firefox and call me if she had problems. I haven't heard from her. I saw that Adobe was wanting to up date. I told her she needed to up date adobe. She told me that's when her trouble started. I later learned that members here on MT were reporting pop ups to up date Adobe on there Chrome browser. At the time I didn't think any thing about it.
I assume her PC is working as I haven't heard from her. The senior was a lot more computer savvy then most of my seniors here.
There weren't any tool bars or snake oil programs on her PC. She was using Windows Defender. I suggested MBAM Pro running with Defender. I don't know if she took my advise or not. Seniors don't like chances in their lives or their computer.
That's the best I can do until I get another problem with Chrome.
Thanks for your reply!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Google Chrome sucks and they need to fix this.

Typical comment for Chrome haters. I have used Chrome since the day Mozilla delayed Firefox 4, and I have never been infected with rogue extensions, fake pop-ups for outdated plugins or been infected via a browser exploit.

Firefox, generally speaking is less secure than Chrome, IE (Windows) and Safari (Mac) according to the article be
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...er-falls-to-four-zero-day-exploits-at-pwn2own
Firefox’s weaker security is generally attributed to its lack of a sandbox — a shell or firewall around a piece of software that keeps it segregated from the rest of the operating system. In theory, the sandbox should prevent the browser from running other programs, reading the contents of your RAM, or opening other files. Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer (newer versions) all have a sandbox, while Firefox does not. In short, if someone finds a big enough vulnerability in Firefox, there’s nothing preventing them from gaining complete access to your computer.

"Google Chrome sucks" - Example?

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I believe @donetao means Chrome gets modified by malware or evil extensions easier than firefox, as we all agree it's the most populated browser. Donetao has to understand that Chrome is a clean browser, is not malware. You download it from official google, it's clean, it's not infected. Then, the user ignorance will lead to issues, clicking on pop's ups, these pop's ups do not come from Chrome, they come from websites which want to infect computer user by installing unwanted software, browser extensions to generate more pop's up, etc. Donetao explains that he found a computer with Chrome having these issues, thing is he has to understand this happens to other browsers as well, just because you don't see it doesn't mean they work better than Chrome at security related issues, like malware. I already made my recommendation by sharing 360 browser, it has a built-in AD block, it has a built-in cloud antivirus scan for files being downloaded, it has a pop's up blocker integrated, it has phishing protection. Just don't go saying Chrome is infected, because tons of million of users, use Chrome without a single issue.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I never claimed to be a trained malware expert! There's a lot I don't know about these things. I don't know if Chrome gets modified by malware easier than Firefox. I just know that it was corrupted on a seniors PC. I removed it. The senior said there was a pop up to down load Adobe and she clicked on it and that's when all her problems started. I didn't give her a lie detector test.
This is a link from our forum, I haven't seen this pop-up but it may very well be what my senior clicked on.
I don't wish to argue any more. The below link is by our owner and leader @Jack Does this attack Chrome more that Firefox? Is Chrome more vulnerable than Firefox? I don't know. That's up to you experts. It sure is taking a lot of our malware fighters time:(:(
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/flash-player-update-removal/
“Flash Player Update” pop-up ads are distributed via adware or other malicious programs. Malicious websites, or legitimate websites that have been compromised, may display this pop-up ads within your web browser.
On these infected or compromised websites, cyber criminals will display a pop-up box stating that you need to updated or install a piece of software. If you click on the “Download” or “Click to install now” button, instead of installing an update, you’ll agree to download an adwar or a malicious programs onto your computer.
The “Flash Player Update” link may install on your computer potentially unwanted programs like: toolbars (Babylon Toolbar, Delta Toolbar), adware (Yontoo, DealPly, CouponBuddy) or other forms of malware.

Last edited:
Reactions: darko999
I

illumination

Hi! I never claimed to be a trained malware expert! There's a lot I don't know about these things. I don't know if Chrome gets modified by malware easier than Firefox. I just know that it was corrupted on a seniors PC. I removed it. The senior said there was a pop up to down load Adobe and she clicked on it and that's when all her problems started. I didn't give her a lie detector test.
This is a link from our forum, I haven't seen this pop-up but it may very well be what my senior clicked on.
I don't wish to argue any more. The below link is by our owner and leader @Jack Does this attack Chrome more that Firefox? Is Chrome more vulnerable than Firefox? I don't know. That's up to you experts. It sure is taking a lot of our malware fighters time:(:(
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/flash-player-update-removal/
“Flash Player Update” pop-up ads are distributed via adware or other malicious programs. Malicious websites, or legitimate websites that have been compromised, may display this pop-up ads within your web browser.
On these infected or compromised websites, cyber criminals will display a pop-up box stating that you need to updated or install a piece of software. If you click on the “Download” or “Click to install now” button, instead of installing an update, you’ll agree to download an adwar or a malicious programs onto your computer.
The “Flash Player Update” link may install on your computer potentially unwanted programs like: toolbars (Babylon Toolbar, Delta Toolbar), adware (Yontoo, DealPly, CouponBuddy) or other forms of malware.

Google Chrome has it's own flash "pepper flash" built into the browser, the user never has to update this, as it gets updated through Google Chrome. The Senior you speak of was tricked into clicking something they should not of. It would not have mattered what browser they were using if they clicked on this. Security can only stop so much of this, the rest depends on the users habits on whether or not they can keep a system clean. It is good practice to teach these users that have been infected as well as clean their machines.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well the solution for this is use a chromium based browser without label of Google Chrome (e.g Opera) ;) :D

Actually its a clicking matters happened to make the browser itself problematic therefore extensions under the category of security can help to protect more accurately.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Security can only stop so much of this, the rest depends on the users habits on whether or not they can keep a system clean. It is good practice to teach these users that have been infected as well as clean their machines.
Thank you I don't need a lecture on how to clean infected PC's or how to teach seniors safe browsing habits. I don't baby sit them and tell them what not to click on . Most of them know the internet has become a cesspool and are very careful what they click on. Seniors aren't completely computer illiterate. Most seniors visit Facebook to see the latest pictures of their great grand kids and check their emails. If their visiting unsafe sites. I don't know what they would be. I install WOT on all their browsers and show them how WOT works. I really don't have a clue where they would pick up malicious threats, but if you have some suggestions, Ill write them down and put them on our community TV channel. I occasional post on our Community TV channel when I hear of threats or scams that are going around. I thank everyone for their replies on this thread. When I get a PC with a infected IE or Firefox browser, I assure you I will be more than happy to share that on MT.
PS I'm dealing with people that are in their 80's, not college graduates or kids that grew up with a PC in their crib.;) I do the best I can and I'm well rewarded with hugs and cobblers. What more could I ask for??:rolleyes:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Here's my final thoughts. It seems everyone here is a expert on security. You all talk about it 24/7. Which AV finds the most threats and which is the lightest on resources and which one does this and which one does that. It seems to this old country boy that it's a game you all play 24/7 and that's a good thing. I'm sure we have people that log on here and want to know these things. I just read a thread about which is the best AV to purchase. I really wonder if the OP got a lot out of the thread as every member on MT replied with their favorite AV and theirs was better than all the others. I read the thread for awhile until I got completely bored. I'm starting to wonder if some of our members get paid to brag on certain AV programs or receive some kind of gratuities
I have never paid for a AV program. I bought a MBAM life time license a long time ago. I run MSE and MBAM Pro in real time. I have WOT on all my browsers.
I recently added Malwarebytes Anti-Expolit. I have been using this combination for a long time. I'm still waiting for my first malicious threat.
When I get one, I'll post here and tell you all about it. I'll also post on the forum when I find a IE or Firefox browser corrupted so bad that it needs to be reinstalled as many of our members are being advised by our malware team to do with Chrome.It seems to me that Chrome is so badly infected that our malware can't even clean Chrome up and are recommending reinstalling it.These are my thoughts
Thanks everyone for your replies on this thread!;)

Reactions: darko999 and Sasa

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Here's my final thoughts. It seems everyone here is a expert on security. You all talk about it 24/7. Which AV finds the most threats and which is the lightest on resources and which one does this and which one does that. It seems to this old country boy that it's a game you all play 24/7 and that's a good thing. I'm sure we have people that log on here and want to know these things. I just read a thread about which is the best AV to purchase. I really wonder if the OP got a lot out of the thread as every member on MT replied with their favorite AV and theirs was better than all the others. I read the thread for awhile until I got completely bored. I'm starting to wonder if some of our members get paid to brag on certain AV programs or receive some kind of gratuities
I have never paid for a AV program. I bought a MBAM life time license a long time ago. I run MSE and MBAM Pro in real time. I have WOT on all my browsers.
I recently added Malwarebytes Anti-Expolit. I have been using this combination for a long time. I'm still waiting for my first malicious threat.
When I get one, I'll post here and tell you all about it. I'll also post on the forum when I find a IE or Firefox browser corrupted so bad that it needs to be reinstalled as many of our members are being advised by our malware team to do with Chrome.It seems to me that Chrome is so badly infected that our malware can't even clean Chrome up and are recommending reinstalling it.These are my thoughts
Thanks everyone for your replies on this thread!;)

My friend you got some solid points in there.
Here is what happens, a novice user goes spartan creating a thread about "Which antivirus is the best". The thread itself can't be answered, because such answer does not exists. But, people feel free to recommend whatever AV they want and if they can say why they picked it, great tho they can't say which one is the best. These threads are created sometimes by people who want to make troubles and make people spam the thread, other people creates these threads because they are very ignorant, and tend to think there is an actual answer to "Which is the best AV, or AV1 vs AV2". These threads are quite useless in my opinion, since you'll get an answer, only testing and researching by yourself, not asking for the gold answer in a X thread.
People in these forums may have they preference related to the AV they use, they like, etc. There are many people who have spent a considerable amount of time in testing different Antivirus in Virtual MAchines, yet they can't end with a absolute answer to which is the best antivirus, first of all because a VM is not the same as a real machine running windows, and also because there are so many variables they can't handle that will make it impossible to have the gold answer.
In the other hand, it is completely sane and helpful to recommend AV and software in general depending on the user requirements, it is better to create a thread like "Which antivirus has these features, and can do this, and have these" instead of "UBER AV vs ATLANTA AV", "Which is the best AV outhere", "ETC".
Chrome, Firefox, Pale Moon, Opera, Cyberfox, Quiho 360 browser, they are all great browsers. Just be smart at surfing the web equals to being smart at a lot of things!
Greetings from Chile! Stay tuned!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi @darko999 That was a powerful reply my friend. I think you just said every thing that was on my mind. Being a smart suffer is the best AV you can have. I'll have to give you a 5 star rating on that reply. I realize that MT is a security forum but how many times do we have to listen to who has the best and lightest AV. I have seniors that have all different kinds of AV programs. Most of them were put on there by their kids. Some pay big bucks and don't get any better protection than the free ones give. I never try to talk them into a different AV program unless they ask me. Then I recommend the top two free ones and IMHO that's Avira and Avast. My personal choice is MSE and MBAM Pro.
The price is 24.95$. How much does Norton cost and if you click where you shouldn't is Norton going to be any better than the free ones.;) I think not!! Don't click it if you don't want a ticket.;);)
PS Thank you sir for a great reply to this thread!!

Reactions: darko999
I

illumination

Thank you I don't need a lecture on how to clean infected PC's or how to teach seniors safe browsing habits.

I realize that MT is a security forum but how many times do we have to listen to who has the best and lightest AV.

Just as staff do not need lectured on how to run their Security Forum every time they turn around. You are a guest here. Since this time coming, you have cast many stones into this pond trying to create ripples.

My advice above was simple. If you install Google Chrome for a client, remind them it has built in flash, and they never need to update it, and if they ever do see an updater that it is not associated with Chrome, and probable not safe to click it.. This is not consider holding hands or babysitting, it is considered sharing knowledge, so that others may learn to protect themselves, much like what this forum is all about.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Sorry you took my reply so personal. I will be sure to pass the information about Google Chrome and the built in flash. I will call the front desk and have the message put on our community TV channel where everyone can see it. Please inform me about the stones I'm casting as I love this forum and I do not want to cause any problems. Because I try to make the forum about more than security; Is that a stone. I don't remember trying to lecture staff, but if I have I apologize. My PM's are full of members praising me for making the forum more interesting and members wanting me to personally assist them. which I don't do. I'm sorry I'm casting many stones. My hobby and about all I can do because of age and health, is pass forward the little bit of knowledge that I still remember. I have helped at least 50 seniors here in my village. They all have different problems.
Thank you for your reply. Please inform me of the stones I'm casting as I don't wish to cause any problems for @Jack and the staff in a PM or here on this thread!

Hi! Some times my replies don't seem to turn out like they were intended and when I go back and read them; I some times see that I could have replied better. I don't wish to disrupt the forum or cause conflicts. I'm not trained in malware and I'm always trying to learn about it.
I spend a lot of time in our malware section. A lot of the posts seem to be about Chrome lately. I'm sure that's because Chrome is a very popular browser. I'm trying to figure out how members got infected and why they have to reinstall Chrome. What happens if IE gets infected?? To my knowledge you can't uninstall IE and reinstall it. You can disable IE, but I don't recommend doing that! Does anyone here have a answer to that??
On the PC that I worked on, I could use IE after cleaning the malware, but Chrome immediately froze the PC and opened a strange home page. I cleaned the PC again and uninstalled Chrome. When I left the senior was not having any problems.
These are questions I have. I'm not a Chrome hater. I just don't like it.;)
I'm always ready to learn new things and I appreciate all replies; even though it might not always appear that way; I do appreciate them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Here are a couple points to remember,with a little forum etiquette interjected.This is generalized and not pointed towards any particular member.
  • Please stay on topic.The longer the post the farther off topic we stray
  • Every member is entitled to their own opinion.If the OP asks for opinions then they should get them however all opinions are not necessarily the absolute correct opinion but every member has a right to voice their opinion within the rules of the forum.
  • That being said arguing with and calling others out,if you will,in the forums because of a difference in opinion cannot be tolerated.
  • Conversation or chatbox type replies are starting to pop up in the forums more and more lately.This must be stopped as a reply with pertinent information should be all that is needed.
  • Quoting of posts should contain only that part of the quote that is pertinent to your reply
  • Double,triple & quadruple relies should be edited into the previous posts.If it needs to be bumped for some reason please do so after a reasonable amount of time. Hence 3 hours without a reply or a day without a reply does not necessarily qualify for bumping the thread.Bumping a thread should be for adding pertinent additional information to the topic of the OP
This thread has started to derail and I myself will take my own advice and stop typing.Please stay on topic.Thanks :)

*Note: Please this post does not require a reply

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! As I'm the creator of this thread; I think it can be marked as solve. I have all the answers that I need.
Thank you everyone for your replies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.