Poll How many MT members are still using F-Secure? Are you still liking it?

Are you using F-Secure

• Total voters

rashmi

Level 5
Jan 15, 2024
And it's good to hear that side, too.

Since I don't use parental controls, that has not been an issue for me. I have yet to have a problem with Chrome or FPs on the devices I use. I know there are gaps with the Capricorn updates which were addressed below (2nd link), so those signature updates could be a concern if we're offline, or maybe DeepGuard takes over? And maybe those who no longer use F-Secure voted for some of the reasons you mentioned.
In the past, I gave it a few chances because there were no bloats and it included parental control. It always failed me: sometimes DeepGuard detection hanged the system, the Chrome extension errors and Allow Website not working are common and recurring issues with it. Its parental control implementation and their response, "Use Windows Standard Account" to prevent kids from bypassing it, are stupid and irresponsible.

When I tested it recently, DeepGuard detected HiBit Uninstaller in the middle of uninstalling software and freezed the system. You have to hard-boot the system in most such cases.

For Chrome extension errors, you will see "'error" next to Chrome's settings icon in the address bar. Sometimes, when the protection works partially, you have to go to Chrome's manage extension, and there you will see "error and may not connect to network".

Reactions: Jonny Quest

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
For Chrome extension errors, you will see "'error" next to Chrome's settings icon in the address bar. Sometimes, when the protection works partially, you have to go to Chrome's manage extension, and there you will see "error and may not connect to nenetwork"
Thanks for that tip on what to look for :) I really appreciate what F-Secure brings to the table, but, it doesn't mean I'm going to be such a fanboy as to not consider other's experiences or of their observations, especially on a forum of this caliber :)

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I have had one detection with F-Secure using it for about a year. It detected an old file from the game Burnout Paradise. Apparently it was an old False Positive from Avira sigs that has existed for a really long time. For some reason it just randomly cropped back up. My only issue was their response time was a bit slow. But since I just ignored the detection it wasn't really an issue.

robboman

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I have been using F-secure for the last 1,5 years. I got some license codes online worth 3,5 years so I'm using it for free. It has worked perfectly fine, it's a solid product. Only issue I sometimes face is with the banking protection. It will incorrectly warn me some remote assistance program like TeamViewer is running, which is not the case. I think the banking protection of Kaspersky and Eset for example are more user friendly and effective.

After my free licenses run out I will switch to a free product like Avast/Kaspersky/Avira. I personally don't see the need to pay money for a AV when the free solutions offer protection on the same level.

Digmoons

Jun 13, 2022
Used it for the past 2 years, and liked it a lot, its ID Protection app is very very good and allowed me to check the leaks and which password leaked which is very useful!
The only complaints I have is the banking protection which I disabled because I hated its implementation and the memory consumption (about 500 MB, although my machine has 32 GB).

Only switched recently to ESET Home Security Premium because I won a 1 year license, else I would very probably keep using F-Secure.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Used it for the past 2 years, and liked it a lot, its ID Protection app is very very good and allowed me to check the leaks and which password leaked which is very useful!
The only complaints I have is the banking protection which I disabled because I hated its implementation and the memory consumption (about 500 MB, although my machine has 32 GB).

Only switched recently to ESET Home Security Premium because I won a 1 year license, else I would very probably keep using F-Secure.
On my device using 16 GB and one with 8 GB of RAM, it's only using ~200 MB. I'm using F-Secure Internet Security. For the amont of RAM you have, why would that be a concern during the short time you're actually banking, and also for the security and functionality it provides in Banking mode?

banking 8 GB.jpg

banking 16 GB.jpg

Digmoons

Jun 13, 2022
The problems I had with banking protection were related to their implementation like:
- One of the bank websites I use requires external authentication through a government portal and it failed every time I tried to authenticate (when I entered the government website the green border disappeared and when I got redirected to the bank website it appeared again and the authentication failed), as soon I disabled banking protection it began working flawlessly;
- Sometimes when I left a bank website, the browser (can't recall if it was chrome or edge, as I disabled this feature some time ago) got stuck for several seconds before I could open new webpages again.

All these problems were fixed when I disabled the banking protection.

In terms of the memory consumption, f-secure ultralight hoster used from about 120 MB to almost 500 MB in my computer, although it is not a significant issue as my computer has 32 GB of RAM.

A good thing about F-Secure is their support, one day it began blocking a website I regularly visit because of safety concerns (false positive) and as soon I reported the issue it was solved in about 3 to 4 hours.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.