Poll How many MT members are still using F-Secure? Are you still liking it?

Are you using F-Secure

• Total voters

Researchspace

Level 1
Feb 26, 2023
I have been using F-Secure for about ten years alternating with Windows Defender, I have always liked it for its efficiency, discretion and lightness.
Currently F-Secure expires in June and I'll see what to do... honestly I don't need it and I don't want to spend more money on a complete antivirus since I already have a VPN and password manager

Virtuoso

Level 3
Feb 21, 2022
I am still using the F-Secure free license which was posted here, all the codes combined to nearly four years, so will be using till it expires in October 2025. The software is nice, lightweight and bloatfree, only negative point is many false positives in URL blocking/web browsing.

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
If i buy multiple license keys off serialcart will they stack up in the F secure subscriptions? some say yes and others say no.
A year or two ago, one was able to stack the “6 month giveaways” that were posted everywhere. As of today, I just don’t try. Too much hassle, and basically you lose a lot of time ( subscription time) if you decide to use something else. I believe most of us get bored with an AV after a while, and stacking makes no sense. I personally would like to see some AV’s offer 6 month subscriptions. ✌️

rashmi

Level 5
Jan 15, 2024
Decent signatures, dumb behavior blocking, false-positives prone, buggy, frequent Chrome extension errors, extremely unreliable parental control on Windows, and an illogical and lazy team. If you ask them for password protection or parental control protection, their (stupid) response is to use the Windows Standard Account. The parental control heavily relies on browser extensions, which kids can easily disable in the Windows Standard Account. The Chrome extension frequently errors out, which leads to partial protection and access to inappropriate websites. Even when the Chrome extension works, the blocking of inappropriate websites is very unreliable. I don't use it now, but I just tested for any improvements. The issues are still there after over a year: Chrome extension error, unreliable blocking of inappropriate websites (didn't block popular social media or streaming networks that its Android version blocks with the same child profile), and nothing happens when you click on Allow Website. Its Android version doesn't even have "exclusions" to allow blocked websites (you have to disable the category to access a blocked website). It's been over a year since users requested the feature.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Decent signatures, dumb behavior blocking, false-positives prone, buggy, frequent Chrome extension errors, extremely unreliable parental control on Windows, and an illogical and lazy team. If you ask them for password protection or parental control protection, their (stupid) response is to use the Windows Standard Account. The parental control heavily relies on browser extensions, which kids can easily disable in the Windows Standard Account. The Chrome extension frequently errors out, which leads to partial protection and access to inappropriate websites. Even when the Chrome extension works, the blocking of inappropriate websites is very unreliable. I don't use it now, but I just tested for any improvements. The issues are still there after over a year: Chrome extension error, unreliable blocking of inappropriate websites (didn't block popular social media or streaming networks that its Android version blocks with the same child profile), and nothing happens when you click on Allow Website. Its Android version doesn't even have "exclusions" to allow blocked websites (you have to disable the category to access a blocked website). It's been over a year since users requested the feature.
And it's good to hear that side, too.

Since I don't use parental controls, that has not been an issue for me. I have yet to have a problem with Chrome or FPs on the devices I use. I know there are gaps with the Capricorn updates which were addressed below (2nd link), so those signature updates could be a concern if we're offline, or maybe DeepGuard takes over? And maybe those who no longer use F-Secure voted for some of the reasons you mentioned.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I agree, I don't think their VPN is their crowning achievement. I use Mullvad instead, in OpenVPN mode, not WireGuard as I would get more of the Captcha pages using WireGuard...at least for now. It's also easier the switch servers, or pause the connection with Mullvads system tray icon, rather than in my case having to open Totals UI to change those settings. I was also getting too many dropouts with F-Secure.

blackice

Level 38
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I believe in choosing the right app for the job. For our Family that’s 1Password for a manager. For VPN that’s IVPN or Proton for my use cases (almost never use one). I only get antivirus and not suites that bundle extras I don’t want.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
I'm thinking of switching to Avast when the Eset I'm currently using expires. Since it's cheap and offers a great suite of applications out of the box. Antiviruses that offer only antivirus and a small number of low-quality services are not very interesting right now. I think many people have a trend to save money nowadays, after all, almost all countries have inflation and rising prices. F-Secure is a very good antivirus, but it has a very mediocre VPN, and data leak manager and password manager are simply not that necessary, almost everyone already has some alternative and often free solution.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I believe in choosing the right app for the job. For our Family that’s 1Password for a manager. For VPN that’s IVPN or Proton for my use cases (almost never use one). I only get antivirus and not suites that bundle extras I don’t want.
When my renewal comes up, if I stay with F-Secure, I'll just get the Internet Security (now that I know I can) and use Mullvad and 1Password which is what I also use.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I'm thinking of switching to Avast when the Eset I'm currently using expires. Since it's cheap and offers a great suite of applications out of the box. Antiviruses that offer only antivirus and a small number of low-quality services are not very interesting right now. I think many people have a trend to save money nowadays, after all, almost all countries have inflation and rising prices. F-Secure is a very good antivirus, but it has a very mediocre VPN, and data leak manager and password manager are simply not that necessary, almost everyone already has some alternative and often free solution.
avast is only worth using as free version without all the bloat you mean?

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

Avast? I was disappointed in my last test...
I much prefer F-Secure, Eset or Avira

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.