Advice Request How many of you use Norton 2017? Is it worth it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norton is one of the better general security suites.

However, I would like to point out that if your system is an always home-based PC behind a NAT router without port forwarding, a firewall beyond Windows Firewall is not necessary. The intrusion detection capabilities of Norton will be of no practical benefit behind a NAT router. And it is debatable if outbound firewall notifications would be of any real benefit. This applies to all internet security suites with firewalls.

Inform yourself. Research it.

Last edited by a moderator:

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Thanks for your reply. I work in IT for a living so I am not a novice or anything like that. However I have had issues finding a third party av that tends to play nice with my Windows 10 setup. Most of the products I have tried did not work so well. I went back to Norton last night like I mentioned and so far so good. I do not care for the toolbars same as you and using ASK. Just crazy if you ask me. Wish they would do away them to be honest.

I guess if I need something else for protection maybe I will go with VoodooShield or something of that nature. Just looking to secure my home PC from most of the bad guys out there. My machine is always up to date. I also use Google Chrome with uBlock and HTTPS Everywhere and a few other goodies just to be safe. If all else fails I have backups.

Good to know that Norton does well with the entire package. I was just a bit concerned about not using the toolbars, but eh. Just to much going on in them for my taste. Oh I also use OpenDNS and have my PC locked down a bit. Nothing too crazy but it is not just a standard install of W10 CU.

Thanks for your insight!
I disabled the toolbar and just used Ublock Origin with custom added filters in my browser as well. You can run something with NS if you feel you must, although completely not necessary. The back ups you mentioned is the heart of your security, your fail safe.

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
it's an excellent piece of software but I find it kind of boring since it is fully automated type. someone said it is bit expensive .
To get security suite at discount rate I use the simple trick ,do online chat with there support and ask some details about the software then tell them I want to buy it but it is too costly and ask for rebate .if you want to buy it from official site otherwise visit eBay

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Norton is one of the better general security suites.

However, I would like to point out that if your system is an always home-based PC behind a NAT router without port forwarding, a firewall beyond Windows Firewall is not necessary. The intrusion detection capabilities of Norton will be of no practical benefit behind a NAT router. And it is debatable if outbound firewall notifications would be of any real benefit. This applies to all internet security suites with firewalls.

Inform yourself. Research it.
If we are speaking in terms of Windows Firewall at default settings which is block all incoming, behind a NAT router not being susceptible to automated code scanning ranges of IP addresses, then finding your system and breaching it, then I follow you. But if we are discussing something on the system executing, making it past the rest of the suites protection and establishing a connection outbound to drop a payload, you will find Norton's network protection to be quite useful.

Place Norton on your Host, fire up a virtual machine, open TCPview, execute a few samples until you hit one that needs to establish that outbound connection which you will see, to drop the payload, and watch Norton on the Host throw up a Notification that it just blocked the attack via the network monitoring.

I would not recommend trying this same scenario with just Windows firewall.

Of course, stopping anything from executing on the Host that should not be to begin with would be best.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I have used it untill february 2017 ( when my subscription ran out ) I must say I was fairly pleased with it and norton is one of the rare products that performs very well out of the box a.k.a. stock settings. their smart firewall is one of the best ( next to comodo firewall ) the only negative remarks I can find are that the behaviour blocker ( file insight ) was slow in detecting / removing threats and some say that symantecs signatures are not great , but that is just bs imho! also the extra crap you get like registry cleaner , disk defragmenter and disk cleanup are redunant in their products , but this is just my humble opinion :p

Reactions: JB007 and frogboy

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Thank you for all the responses. It has been a few days and so far so good. I will be keeping an eye on it.

Lockdown I hear what you are saying brother. I've been wanting to try your product but there is no trial.

Cheers!

Reactions: JB007 and frogboy

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Thank you for all the responses. It has been a few days and so far so good. I will be keeping an eye on it.

Lockdown I hear what you are saying brother. I've been wanting to try your product but there is no trial.

Cheers!
Norton Security and Appguard make a great Combo if and when you decide to try it. Of course Appguard with Windows Defaults is good as well ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've used Norton way back on 2012 and have to say it provides maximum protection especially when you connected in the internet due to Download Insight.

The performance does not increase boot time and shut down time much, hence it managed to optimize in a system well, the configuration is not so complicated thus it considered to be install and forget.

However keep in mind that the signatures of Norton from Auto-Protect are not effective compare to others since it rely majority on Cloud aside on Sonar.

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016

Attachments

• N€.PNG
    N€.PNG
    326.7 KB · Views: 387

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
yes & so i see in the hub that they have come a long way.

if @ZeroDay, recommends it i will surely give it a shot :) will come back to you with feedback ;)
I'm currently trying it out on my system. I do like it but I still prefer KIS at the moment. Hats off to Symantec though they really have made a great comeback, Norton Security is solid and with all these other companies they're buying it seems they have even bigger plans for their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.