How many times a day do you deal with the UAC prompt?

Do you use User Access Control?

• Yes, I have it enabled

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • No, I have it disabled

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • N/A (WinXP, Mac or Linux users)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've seen some posts here about UAC being disabled, and it's always the same excuse "it's annoying", or "it can be bypassed with a hack tool, so no point using it". (Funnily enough, an AV cannot detect everything.. get my point).

You may have seen this posted, http://www.7tutorials.com/uac-why-you-should-never-turn-it-off

Most days, I never see a UAC prompt, unless I specifically right-click to Run as Admin.

So it got me wondering.. What programs do people use, that display the UAC prompt and to deem it annoying?

If you do use UAC, how many times a day do you have to deal with a UAC prompt?

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
H- As any application that needs elevated privilege (like MB, HMP, Killswaitch, Registry modifiers) will trigger a prompt, the amount of UAC alerts will be directly proportional to how often these programs are used.

As to whether or not it should be used that really depends on what other defenses are in place. Corporate users having access to things like either a Palo Alto or a (shameless plug) FireEye device certainly have no need for UAC; home users with things like Kaspersky with application control or something else with good sandboxing technology also will have little need for it.

And there is something that can't be stressed enough as it keeps being said- "bypass" has little to do with UAC not working. Over 80% of malware in the wild does not need elevated privilege to infect a system, thus UAC will yield no protection for these.

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
it depend for who
my mother in law no she will not understand what it want from her she may think the pc is dead and through it to....
my wife no she will break the pc
for me sometimes yes sometime no

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
as for the question how many times a day
if you r using ie with google toolbar then it is annoying it can drive u bananas with all the google updates

D

Deleted member 178

my UAC is set on "always" so almost everytime i launch a system tool or a process accessing system parts :D

Reactions: nissimezra

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hm, ..let's see..:rolleyes: daily, ..& I have it set to "always" like Umbra...
  1. Using Windows Task Manager..
  2. Cleaning with CCleaner.
  • Updating & installing browsers, though the latter has ceased since I browse with portable versions (mostly).
  • When I install downloads (very rarely)
Two!:)

@cruelsister, your words '"..bypass" has little to do with UAC ...' Giveth hope,:) but 'Over 80% of malware in the wild does not need elevated privilege ... thus UAC will yield no protection for these.' ..taketh it back once more..:oops: ;):p:D

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
I have disabled UAC for past few weeks.
The threat of malware is zero. i keep antivirus ON all the time.

trainbus120

Level 10
Verified
Sep 12, 2013
For me every UAC alert makes me confident that my system is safe and I have control of what is running on my system. Its now a part of my life. :D

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
I never used UAC it's useless for me. it drives me nuts with its infinite pop-ups. because I know what I'm using... :D

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
For me every UAC alert makes me confident that my system is safe and I have control of what is running on my system. Its now a part of my life. :D

Perfectly said, and sums up my basic dislike of UAC. That being it may give a user a misplaced feeling of security.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
At the most maybe 3 or 4 times daily, mostly only when I install or update a program.
Sometimes it is a little annoying when I'm trying to get something done in a hurry but that is a small price to pay to keep my system safe since even when trying to be cautious things happen. I rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks. :D

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I never ever have liked/used UAC, I have plenty of better security installed ;)

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Most days the answer is zero, people these days get annoyed at the smallest things lol, lighten up folks! :)

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
No, I have it disabled, because.. my own private PC..and 100% believe no malware and
other virals...and I'm Impatient persons for the UAC..:)

Last edited:

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
At the most maybe 3 or 4 times daily, mostly only when I install or update a program. Sometimes it is a little annoying when I'm trying to get something done in a hurry but that is a small price to pay to keep my system safe since even when trying to be cautious things happen. I rather be safe than sorry. :D

We think much alike =) Good policy. I like the old saying 'Measure twice, cut once'. For our ESL friends that is idiomatic proverb which comes from carpentry "One should double-check one's measurements for accuracy before cutting a piece of wood; otherwise it may be necessary to cut again, wasting time and material." measure twice and cut once - Wiktionary

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.