How much do you pay PER YEAR for security products/subscriptions?

CaptnAmerca

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2016
It's a known fact that most (not all) paid-only software can be obtained for free, and legally (giveaways, promotional, beta testing, referral etc). It's only a loss when you paid more than it's value (ie. scammed or mis-sold).

I don't really consider it a loss. I am getting what I paid for. I'll just keep my eyes open for the deals from now on.

Someone has to pay for all of the giveaways, right? People put a lot of time and money into developing and supporting them.

I was always suspicious of the free software giveaways, deals, etc. Not from MT, but just doing general Google searches.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've never pay any software when it comes on the security part; because I prefer free products which can already work from my needs.

If I'm going to purchase it then likely 2 year license where even though expensive but investment can already be observed.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't really consider it a loss. I am getting what I paid for. I'll just keep my eyes open for the deals from now on.
I understand but under some circumstances, when you buy a new laptop or computer, or mobile contract, they'll attempt to sell you a security package at RRP, or an additional monthly charge.

Looking for online deals is recommended, but remember if it's too good to be true, then it probably is. Take caution.

H

hjlbx

Paid security softs won't necessarily provide better protection. How risky your computing behaviors are a primary factor.

That being said, a safe user can stay infection-free just using Windows Defender and Firewall.

Paying for a bunch of good security softs and using them together is no guarantee of system protection; "Hey... I paid for it so now I can do anything I want without thought and stay safe." Errr...ehhmmmm... No !

In my experience, some security softs are worth their price - for the right user: AppGuard, Emsisoft, HitmanPro & Alert, ReHIPS, Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, Windows Firewall Control, and Webroot.

Lifetime licenses - Sandboxie\Shadow Defender\Windows Firewall Control... no brainer.

A lot depends upon whether you actually want, need and will use all the additional features that come with a paid product - like mobile device protection and cloud backup\storage.

Also, it depends upon whether or not a particular soft will work on your specific system without problems.

Bottom line is that paid protection is not always better protection. There are too many factors. Is paid security suite better than Windows Defender\Firewall ? Of course it is... but do you actually need it ?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.