How much is too much?

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Today I was looking at my system tray and I guess I never really realized how much protection I was currently using so that got me thinking. How much security is too much? Currently I have installed:

Norton Security Suite (provided by my ISP Comcast)
Zemana Antilogger Free
Malwarebytes Anti-malware Pro version
Malwarebytes Anti-exploit
MCShield USB protection
EMET
WinPatrol
HostsMan
With Firefox and Google Chrome I use AdblockPlus and LastPass

Does anyone think this is overkill and I could dump a few programs or switch programs? I haven't noticed a slowdown at all in computer usage, but just wonder when enough is enough. Does anyone else feel this way? Just curious.

*EDIT* forgot to mention I am using Windows 8.1 x64

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
What Bora said is good advice!!;)

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Did they ever catch any malware. Apart from norton did others caught virus or spyware?
If no then u are unnecessarly using too much protection.

I

illumination

Have to agree with the others, a little over kill, but then again, there are a few of us here that specialize in way to much defense ;) :D

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
Today I was looking at my system tray and I guess I never really realized how much protection I was currently using so that got me thinking. How much security is too much? Currently I have installed:

Zemana Antilogger Free
MCShield USB protection
EMET
WinPatrol
HostsMan

Does anyone think this is overkill and I could dump a few programs or switch programs? I haven't noticed a slowdown at all in computer usage, but just wonder when enough is enough. Does anyone else feel this way? Just curious.

*EDIT* forgot to mention I am using Windows 8.1 x64
Yeah keep Norton and MBAM AE and MBAM pro. All the rest is just filler. I would add Norton DNS for a web filter.

D

Deleted member 178

Zemana Antilogger Free
MCShield USB protection
EMET
WinPatrol
HostsMan

another of my disciples :D

Reactions: samit and Gnosis

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Thank you all for responding, it means a lot to me!

Did they ever catch any malware. Apart from norton did others caught virus or spyware?
If no then u are unnecessarly using too much protection.
Nope never really ever had an infection. Very rarely will I get a popup that Norton blocked a driveby or something on a website, but it's extremely rare. Computer stays relatively quiet because I don't really visit many shady sites.

Have to agree with the others, a little over kill, but then again, there are a few of us here that specialize in way to much defense ;) :D
I was thinking it might have been, but wanted to see what the opinions of others were. Thanks!

Yeah keep Norton and MBAM AE and MBAM pro. All the rest is just filler. I would add Norton DNS for a web filter.
Added, thanks! What are your thoughts on EMET vs MBAM AE?

another of my disciples :D
haha

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
On Windows 8.1, if you utilize its default security features (UAC+SmartScreen+Windows Defender+Windows Firewall) that will be all you need. Why add a bunch of third-party security products that will just slow down your system and cause compatibility problems?
Just use common sense, never download suspicious files, never allow unknown programs on UAC prompts or SmartScreen notifications, keep Windows updated, all web applications and add-ons updated and you should never get an infection. An adblocker is a must for your browser, that is how most users get infected by clicking on ads.

Never rely on security software, common sense is your best protection. Malware infections just don't magically appear on a system, the user has to allow them. Your own actions will determine if your system stays safe. If you do get an infections that means you have did something wrong to allow it.

I've been using Windows 8 default security on my laptop every since Windows 8 come out and I have not had one single infection.

Thanks. :D

truoc

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2012
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated!

What is the north of North pole?:p
Hmmm good question! :p

south pole , it is obvious no? :D
:D

On Windows 8.1, if you utilize its default security features (UAC+SmartScreen+Windows Defender+Windows Firewall) that will be all you need. Why add a bunch of third-party security products that will just slow down your system and cause compatibility problems?
Just use common sense, never download suspicious files, never allow unknown programs on UAC prompts or SmartScreen notifications, keep Windows updated, all web applications and add-ons updated and you should never get an infection. An adblocker is a must for your browser, that is how most users get infected by clicking on ads.

Never rely on security software, common sense is your best protection. Malware infections just don't magically appear on a system, the user has to allow them. Your own actions will determine if your system stays safe. If you do get an infections that means you have did something wrong to allow it.

I've been using Windows 8 default security on my laptop every since Windows 8 come out and I have not had one single infection.

Thanks. :D
Very true! I think it's more of a "I feel safer having a few programs". Guess you could call it a false sense of security?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You probably already know the answer, but it's usually when you start questioning the security programs you have installed.

Zemana Antilogger Free

MCShield USB protection
EMET
WinPatrol

EMET will provide system wide protection, whereas MBAE (aka ExploitShield) is limited to a certain number of programs, see here:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

There's no need to overlap security, they often result in conflicts and system instability.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Remember, that nothing is 100%! I would have not have remove Malwarebytes Anti-malware Pro Version. Because it detection is better than most Security Software out on the market.You could always use as secondary scanner, by the turning the real time protection off.
But, everyone has an opinion! My opinion is the Layering Effect of Security with-out overlapping other security software.
Resulting in no slow down and no conflict with other security software.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Moose Can you provide a source/proof/test regarding 'Malwarebytes detection is better than most Security Software on the market'?

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
My Sources/proof/test regarding 'Malwarebytes detection is better than most Security Software on the market'?

Below:
What do all these Antivirus Testers have in common? Answer is Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware!
To see,if the other security software may have miss something!

Look over yourself and what are most Antivirus Tester Videos using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=antivirus tester videos using malwarebytes&page=2

Examples! Britec09: What is he using?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=britec09 using videos using malwarebytes&sm=12

The PC Security Channel: What is he using?

Mrizos: What is he using?

Malwarebytes is also able to detect which users are running a pirated version!
Source:
http://torrentfreak.com/malwarebytes-detects-pirates-asks-them-not-to-steal-software-130608/

ect.....

This is just a few,just look over when you time. And come to your own opinion.

My opinion is the Layering Effect of Security with-out overlapping other security software.
Resulting in no slow down and no conflict with other security software.:rolleyes:

This is the reason we posts here at MalwareTips. To help/learn from one another! So,what are
using Earth,if not,Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware? In your Config/Set-up of Security for your PC?
Always willing to learn something new!

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
My Sources/proof/test regarding 'Malwarebytes detection is better than most Security Software on the market'?

Below:
What do all these Antivirus Testers have in common? Answer is Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware!
To see,if the other security software may have miss something!

Look over yourself and what are most Antivirus Tester Videos using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=antivirus tester videos using malwarebytes&page=2

Examples! Britec09: What is he using?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=britec09 using videos using malwarebytes&sm=12

The PC Security Channel: What is he using?

Mrizos: What is he using?

Malwarebytes is also able to detect which users are running a pirated version!
Source:
http://torrentfreak.com/malwarebytes-detects-pirates-asks-them-not-to-steal-software-130608/

ect.....

This is just a few,just look over when you time. And come to your own opinion.

My opinion is the Layering Effect of Security with-out overlapping other security software.

This is the reason we posts here at MalwareTips. To help/learn from one another! So,what are
using Earth,if not,Malwarebtyes Anti-Malware? In your Config/Set-up of Security for your PC?
Always willing to learn something new!

That what you wrote above doesn't prove anything moose :p
I respect your opinion but Malwarebytes is not better than most Security Products on the Market :D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
All the PCs in my home are configured this way (All have Windows 7):
  • Limited account (it is really effective for preventing the execution of malicious programs)
  • A good free antivirus (Something like Avira, MSE, Avast or Panda is enough)
  • The default Windows Firewall
  • The usual addons in a web browser (adblocker, web filter)
And so far none of them have been infected, and that is without their knowledge about computer security.

Reactions: BoraMurdar

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.