Advice Request How often does Kaspersky initiate Rootkit scan?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Hello! I am running Kaspersky 2019 on Windows 10 Education 64bit build 1803. Sometimes I feel a slight system slowdown and when I hover my mouse over the Kaspersky icon in the task bar I find it running a rootkit scan. This happens once every two day, that's at least what I noticed. Is this a normal or Kaspersky suspects sth in my system? Thank you

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
But this would stop any future rootkit scans? Is there an option to manually initiate a rootkit scan?
yea don't disable it completely.It scans at least once per log-on or per day.

I noticed. Is this a normal or Kaspersky suspects sth in my system? Thank you

It's normal(y). There is nothing wrong in it.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
But this would stop any future rootkit scans? Is there an option to manually initiate a rootkit scan?
yes there is
Schedule for Rootkit Scan

I always disable rootkit scan and idle scan because kaspersky's protection itself is quite sufficient. Extra scans by the same product won't make much difference and consumes resources for no proper reason
if we suspect an infection, we'd better use dedicated second opinion scanners such as zemana, hitmanpro, norton power eraser, or emsisoft emergency kit
if PUP infection is suspected, use ESET, maybe malwarebytes (declining)

last resort in all cases, Roguekiller
can't solve => format and reinstall

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
rootkit scan and idle scan because kaspersky's protection itself is quite sufficient.

Idle scan happens only if there is a lock screen or a screensaver running. So, to me idle scan won't do any problem whatsoever. Rootkit scan can be a onetime nag per day, so it's tolerable. Although kaspersky keeps scanning in background, still there is no alternative for rootkit scan in case of kaspersky. In past, it has detected some malwares during rootkit scan in a VM of mine. So, I won't suggest anyone to disable it if pc in question has importance.
if we suspect an infection, we'd better use dedicated second opinion scanners such as zemana, hitmanpro, norton power eraser, or emsisoft emergency kit

Probably,he won't go for those options except EEK & himan Pro.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
yes there is
Schedule for Rootkit Scan

I always disable rootkit scan and idle scan because kaspersky's protection itself is quite sufficient. Extra scans by the same product won't make much difference and consumes resources for no proper reason

last resort in all cases, Roguekiller
can't solve => format and reinstall
Idle scan happens only if there is a lock screen or a screensaver running. So, to me idle scan won't do any problem whatsoever. Rootkit scan can be a onetime nag per day, so it's tolerable. Although kaspersky keeps scanning in background, still there is no alternative for rootkit scan in case of kaspersky. In past, it has detected some malwares during rootkit scan in a VM of mine. So, I won't suggest anyone to disable it if pc in question has importance.

Probably,he won't go for those options except EEK & himan Pro.
@Evjl's Rain I have no issues related to any infections. Last week I installed Yandex browser and I noticed, while using Bing as the default search engine, any search will redirect me to "trovi.com" before the search results are show and Kaspersky kept blocking every search. I reinstalled Windows and here I am. Everything seems OK.

@yitworths Yes, I will purchase Hitman Pro as I trust Sophos and its products. EEK is OK for me.

Reactions: yitworths

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
'Trovi search' is well known browser hijacker. How did ya get it in the first place? Can you recall?
I installed Yandex browser. The default search engine was Bing. The issue only occurs in Yandex browser not any other browsers. Please note that when you change the search engine the issue fades away. It seems it is a poor technique of Yandex.

Reactions: yitworths

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I installed Yandex browser. The default search engine was Bing. The issue only occurs in Yandex browser not any other browsers. Please note that when you change the search engine the issue fades away. It seems it is a poor technique of Yandex.

funny enough... as I do use yandex but never tried to set bing as default search engine 2018-0.jpg & that's why never got a chance to notice this. I tend to set DDG or startpage/ixquick as my default search engine. But that's another story... Glad, everything is in shape now(y):emoji_beer:.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.