How often I should Defrag?

My DefragSoftware is Perfect Disk

Specs:
i7 4770k
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR3 Memory
1x 60GB SSD DREVO X1 (Windows)
1x 500GB HDD WDBlack (Games)
1x 500GB external hard drive (Pictures - Videos - Etc)

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Luckily not mine, it has zero I/O when idle. :)

That is why disabling the pagefile is the first thing to do. RAM is 10 times faster. Disabling pagefile/superfetch, moving temps to RAMdisk, etc.
Even in this topic, people talk about avoiding defragmenting SSD, because it lowers its life expectancy, HDD does not have that problem.

I have not seen a single test proving, that SSD is faster than HDD, like no gain in FPS in games. I am not saying, that SSD is bad, but is not really needed, it does not do much, HDD will last much more longer than a cheap SSD. I do not care, if the OS loads in 5 sec or in 50, I care how well it runs and HDD always wins. I would have never expected such an outrage, I guess, that the marketing and paid reviews did its job over the years. :)

I guess you have not seen many good CRTs. If you sit someone in front of CRT and LCD, he will get a headache and itching eyes from LCD within an hour at most, but never from CRT, since by looking into LCD, you are looking into a bulb. CRT is covered by a thick glass, which blocks UV/EMR, LCD also emits EMR, but it is covered by plastic, so ... . Not to mention the black color and that LCD flickers as well, but CRT with min 85Hz does not. Nevermind.

I don't recommend disabling pagefile at all. Windows needs a pagefile no matter how much ram you have so turning it off completely will have some negative effects at some point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
HDD will last much more longer than a cheap SSD.
Unless if's a cheap "no name" brand Chinese SSD, this is not true. Even a budget name brand SSD, should last much longer than a hard drive.
I do not care, if the OS loads in 5 sec or in 50, I care how well it runs and HDD always wins.
SSDs are much faster and should last much longer than hard drives. The only advantage hard drives have over SSDs, is the price. But lately, the prices of SSDs have been falling a lot.

Upvote 0

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Why don't you trust SSDs?
Because of articles in the past of how unreliable some of them can be. And considering how my current drive is performing well, I doubt I will ever bother with one.

And before someone says that SSDs can last a lot of time and there's no danger. I still don't see a reason to change to one.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
That is why disabling the pagefile is the first thing to do. RAM is 10 times faster. Disabling pagefile/superfetch, moving temps to RAMdisk, etc.
Even in this topic, people talk about avoiding defragmenting SSD, because it lowers its life expectancy, HDD does not have that problem.

I have not seen a single test proving, that SSD is faster than HDD, like no gain in FPS in games. I am not saying, that SSD is bad, but is not really needed, it does not do much, HDD will last much more longer than a cheap SSD. I do not care, if the OS loads in 5 sec or in 50, I care how well it runs and HDD always wins. I would have never expected such an outrage, I guess, that the marketing and paid reviews did its job over the years. :)
This is wrong on so many levels...

Upvote 0

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I guess, that the marketing and paid reviews did its job over the years
I have 2 SSDs in my system: Samsung 850 PRO (256GB) & Crucial MX300 (525GB) and I can assure You that SSDs power is not marketing at all :eek:o_O

And in my next system I'll go to Ryzen + NVMe M.2 disk for the system (POOOWAAAA) :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
But don't get a SSD. You don't want to touch a system without one afterwards :D
EDIT: And for SSDs failing HDDs also can fail (don't have an experience with either luckily) and you always need a backup.
A SSD and enough RAM are the best investments you can make in a system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
That is why disabling the pagefile is the first thing to do.
Did you read what I said? I said SSDs are the ideal place for Page Files. Sorry, but disabling the page file is almost always an amateur mistake done by those who think they know more about virtual memory management than the professional developers at Microsoft who have exabytes and decades of empirical data and experience to draw from.
RAM is 10 times faster.
Demonstrating my point! :( So what if RAM is faster? Windows knows the difference. You apparently are under the false impression that forcing the OS to always use RAM instead of spooling out to a PF (even if on SSD, or if you have gobs of RAM) is better. That's just wrong as anyone who has actually studied virtual memory management would know. But it is also for a different discussion.

The bottom line, only a tiny tiny percentage of very unique users performing atypical tasks ever benefit from disabling the page file. Best advice? Stop dinking with Windows settings and leave the defaults alone! Let Windows manage your page file. It knows how to do that very well.

That of course is incorrect too. You don't defrag SSDs because of the way data is stored on SSDs, defragging is not needed. This is why Windows will not defrag SSDs. And of course, today's SSDs don't suffer from limited writes issues associated with first generation SSDs.

You will never reach the write limits of today's SSDs. That is one reason why more and more data centers are migrating to SSDs - in spite of their higher initial costs.

I guess you have not seen many good CRTs. If you sit someone in front of CRT and LCD, he will get a headache and itching eyes from LCD within an hour at most
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: What a bunch of malarky! 100s of millions of people (including those reading this thread) sit in front of their LCD monitors every day for hours on end without getting headaches and itching eyes (3 hours for me just today).

And for the record, I am probably older than most here. But I am not just a computer user, but a real (as in formally educated and certified) electronics technician who has been supporting computer systems since the 70s. So yes, I have seen many good CRTs and many good LCDs too. And many bad of both technologies.

I have not seen a single test proving, that SSD is faster than HDD, like no gain in FPS in games.
I am constantly amazed when I hear positions based on tunnel visioned, single points.

Okay, TairikuOkami - if your entire position on whether SSDs are better than HDs seems to be based on playing games, stick with HDs. Me? I will never go back to HDs.

But please stop spewing the nonsense that hard drives last longer than SSDs. Even when you attempt obfuscate the issue by saying "cheap" SSD, your argument is nonsense. Moving parts, regardless how well made, wear out faster than pure electronics.

As for others who don't trust SSDs because of "articles in the past", come on! "Articles in the past"? Is it not possible for technologies to improve? Do you realize SSDs technologies have been around for almost 50 years!!!! Do you put the same distrust in your RAM?

Can you find any hard drive maker who has so much confidence in their hard drives, they warranty them for 10 full years? Or are you one of the naysayers who claim years does not matter? Fine. It is also warrantied for 150 TBW. That's 40Gb of read/writes every day for 10 years! Most hard drives are warrantied for 3 years or less. Very few are for 5 years. Most hard drive fail after just 4 years which means many fail before that!

But don't believe me. Do your own homework. You can start here: https://lifehacker.com/how-long-will-my-hard-drives-really-last-1700405627

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
@Digerati

>Is it not possible for technologies to improve?

Indeed it is. But like I said, for me I don't see a need for SSDs

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This is mostly a marketing talk. Taking facts out of context in order to "scare" people to use their software, or else...!!!
(dramatic music)

Precisely correct. Condusive is largely snakeoil these days. Diskeeper 12 was fairly revolutionary, and made a difference. These days? Nah. They're an irrelevant tech from a day long past.

Reactions: lowdetection
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

But don't get a SSD. You don't want to touch a system without one afterwards :D
EDIT: And for SSDs failing HDDs also can fail (don't have an experience with either luckily) and you always need a backup.
A SSD and enough RAM are the best investments you can make in a system.

Get an NVME/m.2, and you won't like SSD systems much after. No kidding. But mechanical? I could never go back (and never will).

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
But like I said, for me I don't see a need for SSDs
I don't have a problem with you saying you don't see a need for you. But that is different than saying you don't trust them because of something you read in the past. The "facts" today don't support it. SSDs are extremely reliable.

So when you are ready to buy a new computer, or a to upgrade a current computer, it should be noted SSDs are more "trustworthy" than hard drives. No moving parts!

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Because of articles in the past of how unreliable some of them can be. And considering how my current drive is performing well, I doubt I will ever bother with one.

And before someone says that SSDs can last a lot of time and there's no danger. I still don't see a reason to change to one.

Oh boy, I guess you haven't tried SSD yet and maybe you are one of the old generation folks. I will never go back to HDD ever. I still stored my games on HDD because I don't want to spend $300+ on 1TB SSD, but my OS and important apps are stored on SSD.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Azure Phoenix said:
And before someone says that SSDs can last a lot of time and there's no danger.
I would never say there's no danger. No matter how reliable something is, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be the risk of premature failure.

Or Mother Nature could toss a few lightning bolts directly at your house, or send a wild fire, deluge or tornado through and level it. Or a bad guy can break into your home and steal everything.

So there is always a danger you must prepare for. Regardless your storage device of choice, keep current backups - multilevels, and at least one off site!
and maybe you are an old generation folks.
Hold on there sonny! There are a lot of young kids who know nothing about computers. All they know is their cell phone. Or if they do know something about computers, it is only how to turn them on. Just because some of us have grandkids (or in my case, a great grandson!) that does not mean we don't understand current technologies. ;)

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Hold on there sonny! There are a lot of young kids who know nothing about computers. All they know is their cell phone. Or if they do know something about computers, it is only how to turn them on. Just because some of us have grandkids (or in my case, a great grandson!) that does not mean we don't understand current technologies. ;)

That is not the case for @Azure Phoenix where he/she already did a research in the past.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
You missed the point. "Old generation" has nothing to do with it. Someone who is just 25 years old could have read something years ago and believe it to still be true. That does not mean it is still true.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You missed the point. "Old generation" has nothing to do with it. Someone who is just 25 years old could have read something years ago and believe it to still be true.

I just assume Azure could be one of the old generation folks that trust HDD over SSD because he/she read some article in the past and still believe in these days.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
That's why assuming is never good. Just because some old people are luddites, that does not mean all are. Nor does it mean you have to be old to be a luddite or someone who refuses to accept things change.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.