Troubleshoot How often must we replace Thermal Paste?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Now its cool and around 50'c . But sometimes it exceeds 70'c
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Cleaned my CPU Fan 3 weeks back to fix it.
Hi Friends, I experience sometimes a lot of heat from my laptop. I get around 80 'c sometimes. So could this be a problem of my heatsink thermal paste? If so should i replace it? Which would be a perfect Paste as there are many vendors out there.
All suggestions are welcomed.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What's the ambient temperature of the room, that could have an affect. Is the room cooled, or air-conditioned?

What CPU do you own?

Upvote 0

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Generally unless you seperate your CPU and heatsink no need to change the thermal paste. Make sure you are cleaning path from where the hot winds are getting out from your laptop. Sometime you get a dust curtain there which blocks the wind to flow freely and causes too much heat in laptop.

I used Cooler Master thermal paste in my desktop which was real good. You may use the same.

Upvote 0

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I'm using SpeedFan to control the temperature, it used to be around 70ºC, a hell to type in this São Paulo heat, but now it's around 50ºC, with the fan almost always at 100%.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
What's the ambient temperature of the room, that could have an affect. Is the room cooled, or air-conditioned?

What CPU do you own?
No air conditioned, my room temperature is 22°c. And my current PC heat is 49°c.
Edit: I Have AMD A8 Quad Core Processor.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
On a desktop you might have to apply new Thermal paste after many years but on a Laptop that might be quite a task.If your Laptop was heating up and shutting itself down then I would say it might be an issue.
I always have a few cans of air so I can regularly blow out the dust,hair from pets etc.Temps will fluctuate depending on the workload placed on the CPU so as long as you are not getting frequent freezing and or sporadic shutdowns I would say there is no need to worry. Frequent cleaning with air is one of the easiest and most important maintenance things you can do for your PC.Dust & dirt can lead to similar problems.
I have only adjusted the fan speed on my Video card in the past and have never adjusted the speed of my other fans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Alright, but why do i get a strong fan spinning sound in my Laptop?

Strong fan spin likely deals on the workload you have, this usually happens if its really extensive task like playing games. (Based on my understanding)

Do you feel your laptop hot as you touch? You need laptop cooler to balance the temperature as possible.

I own also AMD A8 Quad core Processor for my laptop and the high temperature I receive is usually 65-70 Degree Celsius. ;)

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! My little old quad 4 Toshiba runs setting on my desk without any cooler. I never hear the fan running!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 555
  • Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 583
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Alright, but why do i get a strong fan spinning sound in my Laptop?
Like jamescv7 said when there is an increased workload such as playing a game or multiple programs running that sound is normal.If you were to look at performance in task manager at the same time as the fan noise you would see the the increased load placed on your cpu and increased load means increase in Temp.The flip side would be once you hear the fan noise die down you should see you cpu's performance go down as well.
It might be cause for alarm if it was running like that constantly or it did not run like that with an increase in cpu workload.

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
The most important thing is usually to keep the radiator fins clean. I use compressed air to do that, but never above 50# of pressure, because you can overdrive the fan and cause bushing problems, which translate into increased fan noise. The best way is to pin the fan from spinning while you blow it, if you can do that by, say, lifting the keyboard. Or just take it easy with the air. I always blow out all the laptop's openings to get whatever dust I can out.

Using a laptop stand may help, or jacking up the height of the LT feet.

If your laptop is blowing hot air, chances are you do not need to repaste. The hot air is a sign the paste is working, because the heat is being transferred. But a repaste done correctly, with top-notch paste, may help a bit even then.

And if your fan is making noise, it may indicate that it's not turning as fast as it is supposed to.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks for all of your help guys, after learning something from u members i have fixed my mind now to not replace the thermal paste, instead i will just clean the wents. My PC is 2 years old now, i would wait for some more time, by then this PC would have been given as a gift or even may be sold. :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.