Troubleshoot How often must we replace Thermal Paste?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Now its cool and around 50'c . But sometimes it exceeds 70'c
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Cleaned my CPU Fan 3 weeks back to fix it.
Hi Friends, I experience sometimes a lot of heat from my laptop. I get around 80 'c sometimes. So could this be a problem of my heatsink thermal paste? If so should i replace it? Which would be a perfect Paste as there are many vendors out there.
All suggestions are welcomed.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
I

illumination

Thanks for all of your help guys, after learning something from u members i have fixed my mind now to not replace the thermal paste, instead i will just clean the wents. My PC is 2 years old now, i would wait for some more time, by then this PC would have been given as a gift or even may be sold. :)
Out of curiosity, which AMD A8 processor.. Like A8-6410, ect?

Why i ask, as it varies from model to model the max operating temps of the CPU. It would also be helpful to know the Brand of laptop and model, as this will make a difference as well. Some manufactures implement poor cooling designs with certain models.. Do you use this laptop mainly on a desk, or on your lap partially blocking the vents..

As @exterminator20 pointed out, canned air is a laptops best friend, i keep no less then 3 cans around at a time on my computer desk and blow out my laptop frequently..

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jamescv7
Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Out of curiosity, which AMD A8 processor.. Like A8-6410, ect?

Why i ask, as it varies from model to model the max operating temps of the CPU. It would also be helpful to know the Brand of laptop and model, as this will make a difference as well. Some manufactures implement poor cooling designs with certain models.. Do you use this laptop mainly on a desk, or on your lap partially blocking the vents..

As @exterminator20 pointed out, canned air is a laptops best friend, i keep no less then 3 cans around at a time on my computer desk and blow out my laptop frequently..
My processor is AMD A8-4500M . You can see my signature to know more about my PC.
Yes I often use it over a Wooden Desk.

Well canned air is a good solution. But its too expensive to have one. With the cost of two canned air i can purchase a Pendrive. So i dont feel its worth of investing money over a pack of air !

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You can get a can of air for around $3-4 USD. A pendrive is not going to prevent your PC from becoming clogged with dust & dirt impeding its performance,especially cooling performance.
I guess however if it is too expensive you will have to find another way to clean it regularly such as the vacuum on the intake fan as shown in the posted video on page 1.
A can of air will last you a while,trust me it will be money well spent.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

My processor is AMD A8-4500M . You can see my signature to know more about my PC.
Yes I often use it over a Wooden Desk.

Well canned air is a good solution. But its too expensive to have one. With the cost of two canned air i can purchase a Pendrive. So i dont feel its worth of investing money over a pack of air !
This processor has a max operating temperature of 100c. When you have hit 80c, was it a large load on the system or light surfing/idle. 80c is nothing to be concerned of if it was a heavy load, and or you were blocking the vents partially wit it on your lap..

Canned air is worth every penny, when you consider the price of a new laptop.. Keep your hardware clean and cooler, and it will last longer..

Reactions: Exterminator
Upvote 0
I

illumination

Well @illumination I guess u were right, i did have a load in my usage at that time, even as others stated about it before. And @exterminator20 well instead of buying canned air can i try this as an alternative ?
Have never used anything like that, but you will want to watch the air pressure blowing inside the case..
Try something like this.. I have one for my digital camera, and use it at times on my laptop when i am out of canned air..
http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Rocket-Blaster-Large/dp/B00017LSPI

Although the pressure is not as strong as canned air, it will due in a pinch..

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Reactions: illumination
Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well Its currently about 63 Degree Celsius.
Capture2.PNG
Usually when I start my PC it will be around 49-55. And after that it stays in this temp.

Upvote 0

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
View attachment 56288
Usually when I start my PC it will be around 49-55. And after that it stays in this temp.
The max. temp of this CPU is around 100ºC, the temperature sensor on AMDs current CPU lineup are also quite inaccurate, most likely the temp is 5-10 degrees lower! There is really no need to do anything about it as long as your notebook doesn't shut down because of the overheating protection.

Upvote 0

K Atari

Level 2
Verified
Jan 10, 2015
Hi! I suggest you give it a good cleaning. Also you need yo use your lap top on a hard service.
IMHO lap top is misleading and shouldn't be used on your lap as they can get very hot!

How effective is it to use a vacuum? Actually, I am more concerned if it is safe for the computer. I do not know any physics behind a vacuum, but I thought it created a good amount of static. I could be wrong, but any insight would be appreciated. Sometimes, I find blowing with canned air is not effective on some models of laptops.

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
View attachment 56288
This is quite high. We both live in same hot weather country . Mine also quad core processor & never exceed above 40 in idle & in night it's down to 3-4 celsius. Did u change thermal paste before? Also u should consider to take a look on laptop cooling pad. Sure 100 is the max temp of cpu is around 100 but high temp will reduce ur cpu life.

Upvote 0

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
This is quite high. We both live in same hot weather country . Mine also quad core processor & never exceed above 40 in idle & in night it's down to 3-4 celsius. Did u change thermal paste before? Also u should consider to take a look on laptop cooling pad. Sure 100 is the max temp of cpu is around 100 but high temp will reduce ur cpu life.
Even if it reduced the CPU lifetime everything else of the notebook would fail before the CPU... Are you using a notebook or desktop CPU, Intel or AMD, soldered heat spreader or thermal pasted one, there is a huge difference between them.

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Even if it reduced the CPU lifetime everything else of the notebook would fail before the CPU... Are you using a notebook or desktop CPU, Intel or AMD, soldered heat spreader or thermal pasted one, there is a huge difference between them.
I'm using both AMD & intel & both desktop & use thermal paste.

Upvote 0

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I'm using both AMD & intel & both desktop & use thermal paste.
Sorry my english was a bit derpy there, this wasn't a question to you but rather an explanation :oops:. Oh and I didn't mean if you are using thermal paste for CPU cooler and CPU but rather if your CPU manufacturer solders or thermal pastes the heat spreader onto your CPU, if it is using thermal paste you can delid it and gain up to 20ºC.

Reactions: Koroke San
Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Sorry my english was a bit derpy there, this wasn't a question to you but rather an explanation :oops:. Oh and I didn't mean if you are using thermal paste for CPU cooler and CPU but rather if your CPU manufacturer solders or thermal pastes the heat spreader onto your CPU, if it is using thermal paste you can delid it and gain up to 20ºC.
it's ok :D but i guess Purshu_Pro use thermal paste if not then he need it also a laptop cooling pad will cool his lappy a few degree celsius :)

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well well well, I guess a cooling pad is not required for me, indeed I may need a thermal paste for sure. I will buy and apply myself as now I am computer service engineer myself. The only thin that stand within me now is, which paste to buy? We have Cooler Master, Deep Cool, Artic Silver. So which one to choose? Over all Artic Silver is the most expensive one.

Upvote 0

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Well well well, I guess a cooling pad is not required for me, indeed I may need a thermal paste for sure. I will buy and apply myself as now I am computer service engineer myself. The only thin that stand within me now is, which paste to buy? We have Cooler Master, Deep Cool, Artic Silver. So which one to choose? Over all Artic Silver is the most expensive one.
It doesn't matter, really.
02-Air-Cooling-High-Pressure.png

Reactions: Purshu_Pro
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.