Troubleshoot How often must we replace Thermal Paste?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Now its cool and around 50'c . But sometimes it exceeds 70'c
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Cleaned my CPU Fan 3 weeks back to fix it.
Hi Friends, I experience sometimes a lot of heat from my laptop. I get around 80 'c sometimes. So could this be a problem of my heatsink thermal paste? If so should i replace it? Which would be a perfect Paste as there are many vendors out there.
All suggestions are welcomed.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Well well well, I guess a cooling pad is not required for me, indeed I may need a thermal paste for sure. I will buy and apply myself as now I am computer service engineer myself. The only thin that stand within me now is, which paste to buy? We have Cooler Master, Deep Cool, Artic Silver. So which one to choose? Over all Arctic Silver is the most expensive one.
Wut is ur budget for thermal paste?
Since ur current idle temperature is above 60 degree celcius, i suggest u to buy a better thermal paste which is non conductive like silver, copper & aluminium based, don't go in cheap ones. But be careful when u apply non-conductive thermal paste. But if u don't have budget for a good thermal paste buy Arctic silver like thermal paste. Arctic silver should cost around 500-600 indian bucks.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Wut is ur budget for thermal paste?
Since ur current idle temperature is above 60 degree celcius, i suggest u to buy a better thermal paste which is non conductive like silver, copper & aluminium based, don't go in cheap ones. But be careful when u apply non-conductive thermal paste. But if u don't have budget for a good thermal paste buy Arctic silver like thermal paste. Arctic silver should cost around 500-600 indian bucks.
Well what about this? http://www.snapdeal.com/product/deepcool-z5-tharmal-paste/653828

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
It's not better then Arctic silver. Don't go in comments , before buying cooler master hyper x 212 i read comments that there idle temperature comes down 15-20+ degree celsius which is lie. I only get around 10 degree celsius in idle & close to 20 degree celsius in overload. If its' working good for them there is no guarantee u will get same cooling temperature coz it depends on ur room temperature, ur cpu TDP watt, ur cabinet etc. Also adding 100 more bucks will get u arctic silver 5, Snapdeal includes deepcool & cooler master products mostly.

Upvote 0

DoxThis

Level 3
Verified
Apr 25, 2015
You shouldnt ever have to repace thermal paste IMO, unless you are changing heatsinks alot.
Also, make sure to properly apply the thermal paste DO NOT SPREAD IT
Try:
Cleaning pc with compressed air
Checking usage of tasks
Other Heatsinks

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
You shouldnt ever have to repace thermal paste IMO, unless you are changing heatsinks alot.
Also, make sure to properly apply the thermal paste DO NOT SPREAD IT
Try:
Cleaning pc with compressed air
Checking usage of tasks
Other Heatsinks
I appreciate your suggestions, I am far beyond trying those stuffs, the only option for me is to replace the thermal paste.

Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I just replaced my laptop with arctic silver 5 thermal paste. I'm facing a issue. I am getting flickering in my screen. What should I do?

Upvote 0

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Have you reattached all thermal pads if there were any? What are the temperatures of every sensor in your system?

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Flickering of screen may happen to the wear and tear level of your monitor where the ribbon wires are connected, you may check your laptop for possible problem of wire.

Have you tried on another monitor?

Reactions: Koroke San
Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Flickering of screen may happen to the wear and tear level of your monitor where the ribbon wires are connected, you may check your laptop for possible problem of wire.

Have you tried on another monitor?
No I have a HDMI cable. And a supportive tv. Shall I try in that.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.