How prevalent is malware on Windows PCs?

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ZDnet said:
What percentage of PCs in the United States are infected with malware? If you’ve been following the mainstream press recently, you might have read an alarming statistic: “Nearly half of personal computers in the U.S. are compromised by malware.”

That statement is an outright fabrication. It is not true. It is not even remotely accurate, based on objective data. The actual number varies, depending on where you are in the world, but for Windows users who have automatic updates turned on, the worldwide average is somewhere between 1% and 2%. In my opinion, if you practice the basics of online security, the likelihood that your Windows PC is infected by malware is a tiny fraction of 1%.

Read more

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I would never believe a statistic like that.
It does say the percentage of computers that are infected, and not how likely you are to be infected.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
elliotcroft said:
It does say the percentage of computers that are infected, and not how likely you are to be infected.

Keep in mind about 73.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot, so you never know. ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
According to the report some people that were are suspicious to be infected and scan in online scanner. So it means there can no AV installed nor update it must possible to detect if they made it up to date.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I see and hear about a large amount of people who mention how a virus "messed up" their computer. But these are only the people who received a virus that intentionally tried to ruin their computer. There are many more subtle malicious programs that steal data...and many people pride themselves in having their own botnets.

I bet that many people are infected, at least more than 1%.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Tweak said:
elliotcroft said:

Keep in mind about 73.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot, so you never know. ;)

Hehe its a good one, i sometimes use that.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
wow...the stats are pretty scary...nearly half...that is so many :s

That is why you have to think smart.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
MetalShaun said:
Tweak said:
elliotcroft said:

Hehe its a good one, i sometimes use that.

Glad someone caught that one...lol. :cool:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes seems a huge people are been infected malware there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.