How secure is your system?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date

Are you risky?

• Total voters
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
People think that they don't need an anti-virus, updating things is a waste of time, firewall - what a waste of time.

If you think any of the above, your system IS NOT SECURE and you may be prone to malware or already be infected, imagine everything on your computer is being seen because of a backdoor, your bank details have been took because of a key-logger, any second now you may be affected by ransomeware. Imagine what you would loose, your bank details and other personal files on Microsoft Word or even system 32 on your brand new gaming laptop.

You should follow this guide made my the amazing @Umbra
Click this link now, it may save your computer or your bank!

Umbra's Concept of Layered Config

Hope this helps, have a good day everyone :)

Regards,
AMR

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
My family PC is secure enough that our devices doesn't have virus or malware for over 15 years. But my mom laptop do get PUPs sometimes which is not really sophisticate than a virus or malware, and they can be easily remove.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Im always care what and where i do... Follow new technology security, dont sit forever on old becasue cant be not enought...
that why i more prefer sandbox / virtualize than AV.. cuz cant even hadle all virus sample whole world.

Reactions: Davidov
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

Thread author
My system is secure enough Got Every corner cover in my opinion ;)

Reactions: frogboy
L

LabZero

Thread author
Actually a magic formula to keep your PC safe doesn't exist, IT security is made by many small steps (first of all the foresight of who is in front of the PC screen) that you must learn to adopt at the beginning.
The second step, I never tire of saying, It is a good backup and recovery plan physically disconnected from the PC, where to save personal data and files.
Then, the information: it does not exist safety without knowledge, the criminals strike easy targets.

PS: I play with malware but ... never playing with fire without knowledge!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I'm pretty sure almost everyone active on this forum would have a set up that can be considered secure enough...

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
In short, considering Umbra is known to be a paranoid user: for the casual user it sums up to;
Up to date OS and software used
Antivirus solution (Real Time)
Windows Firewall ON or any other 3rd party firewall product for that matter
SmartScreen Filter on (if applicable)
UAC - ON
Ad blocking extension to your browser (uBlock/Adblockplus/Adguard)
Have 1 or 2 on demand scanners for those who wish to have a second opinion or just peace of mind (Malwarebytes Anti Malware is a good option)
Common sense when browsing (don't just download everything under the sun, click on every pop up it appears (if any) and careful with whats ticked on when installing some legit software).

The definition of how secure is your system cannot fully be measured.

Above options do fall into the casual user

For a more advanced user who prefers to tweak more stuff, then yes, add in virtualization, lockdown mode style approach or anti executable approach etc.

For at least 80% of new users in MT and guests who visit MT, basic layout is more than enough.

Kiwimike

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2015
TLDR;
be secure, use antivirus and firewall but don't get yourself worked up over it.

While i feel your point is completely valid. I also beileve assume people will get infected and destroyed without proper protection is going a bit overboard. Software firewalls, aren't actually needed in private networks. This is because your router normally functions as a very good firewall protecting your entire network. (provided your wifi is secure).

Firewalls on your system proove only useful in 3 situations: 1. You want to protect your pc from other pc's in the network, 2. You wan't to protect yourself against other's connecting directly through an application (malware) on your computer and gaining remote access or c&c (command and control), 3. You want an extra layer on your antivirus, to prevent unauthorized and unsigned software from accessing the internet.

These 3 reasons are (most of the time) the primary reasons for a software firewall. If you have a hardware firewall then you do not need a software firewall, however IT IS ADVISED TO USE A SOFTWARE FIREWALL IN CONJUNCTION WITH A HARDWARE ONE, this is because as previously stated, people can still gain access through the router or even hijack a pc in the same network and use that to gain access to your pc.

In terms of antivirus software, It's being rendered more and more obsolete as time goes. As malware gets better, unfortunately consumer antivirus software isn't. There is antivirus software like Comodo which is way ahead of its time(which is a good thing). But only about 20% of all threats are detected by antivirus software, this makes sense when you consider in custom-made exploits, custom-made RATs, government malware and malware made and designed by companies themselves.

Generally though,I actually still beileve antivirus is needed. Just don't get yourself all worked up about being secure.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Let's go deep on practical times.

Many users today are not easily infected through searching or visiting a common website cause those developers/webmasters make their own responsibility to clear them out hence even without AV is safe. *

*But defeats the purpose if you are engage through USB insertion, where the default configuration of autoplay is enabled and better to turn off with preferred tools or steps provide through numerous sources.

However doesn't mean to go on that habit, sometimes without checking your overall system areas hence you may experience some symptoms.

So how the system must be secure? **
  • As usual, your operating system must be a genuine that can provide safely updates and hotfix.
  • On demand scanners that contains multi engine feature, to ensure for providing accurate results as possible.
  • Stick to your favorite/your user preferred AV; those comparison are just your basis but don't let your decision affected for that.
  • Install known programs and focus your task within productive times to avoid experimentation of unusual applications.
** My setup goes very well throughout the years, thanks for being productive on schoolworks to avoid paranoia on security matters.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Balanced is better than None / Paranoid.

My system is less secure than iOS/Android, as Disk Encryption and Anti-Theft (K/S) is not enabled.

Overlord

Level 10
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 22, 2013
I do what I can to protect my PC. I use Eset SS-9, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, as well as several scanners "on demand": Zemana.AntiMalware, HitmanPro, Start Emsisoft Emergency Kit, RogueKiller. However, no applications will not replace caution and reason.;):)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.