How secure is your system?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 333v73x
  • Start date

Are you risky?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
To be safe, just be careful of what you download and execute and use a product you are accustomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i just realized that by hardening my OS with several tweaks (before installing any security apps) , i reduced the chance of infection to less than 10% :D

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
Actually....I dont have any kind of antivirus or antimalware....everything done with common sense.The only security software I use is anti exploit (malwarebytes one).I dont see myself stop an exploiting manually xD.
Some Tweaks on Windows....everything that I download from a unknown source I just upload to virustotal

Reactions: Davidov
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
Actually....I dont have any kind of antivirus or antimalware....everything done with common sense.The only security software I use is anti exploit (malwarebytes one).I dont see myself stop an exploiting manually xD.
Some Tweaks on Windows....everything that I download from a unknown source I just upload to virustotal
Even basic protection is necessary, if you are using Windows 10, turn on Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, you always need protection regardless how simple/basic.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
@Umbra how do you harden your OS? RE: Windows SmartScreen, on Windows 10 some see this as a privacy concern, but I leave this enabled. Windows firewall you can also block all incoming connections, which bolsters security.

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
What about Windows SmartScreen and you really should turn Windows Defender on :)
Im probably wrong...but If I have Windows Defender On It will not make my Sistem more secure, maybe for some users It will.
This thing...so many layers of security its paranoid...No one needs that much, Just a good common sense.
Im that person who only defends the use of Anti Exploit and Firewall..
If Just 1 file goes throw antivirus ,its all lost...nowdays...thats how it is, mainly, If It is a ransomware.
To Conclude: Keep backing up your important documents, use a good firewall and anti exploit software, plus common sense..You survive and your computer runs faster ^^
Note: Sorry bad english..Mine is quite bad

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Smartscreen is actually very effective, in fact I consider it far more effective than Windows Defender.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
i just realized that by hardening my OS with several tweaks (before installing any security apps) , i reduced the chance of infection to less than 10% :D

Any secret tips and tweaks to share with others?
:)

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I always remember what I learned in driver's ed about how safe a driver you are. Not having had an accident isn't the indicator, but not having near misses/barely avoided accidents is. If you have ever had to slam on the brakes, swerve to avoid something, or take evasive action of any kind, you could be driving more safely - driving slower, leaving more distance between you and the car ahead, paying more attention to your surroundings etc.

I look at computer security the same way, the safety of your system should not be measured by when you had your last infection, but the last time something tried to get IN and was caught. If you're constantly getting attacked by virii and malware, you probably have to think about what you're doing to expose yourself to such things. Unsafe browsing, torrenting, downloads from questionable sites, angering @Umbra etc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.