Guide | How To How to avoid dying in a car crash

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
How to avoid dying in a car crash topic for everyone ..

How to avoid dying in a car crash : on lesswrong.com : http://lesswrong.com/lw/awm/how_to_avoid_dying_in_a_car_crash/

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Regarding about "driver distraction"

During some incoming calls, a better solution of using bluetooth headset while driving so less trouble will happen since your still concentrating while having conversation.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
lol my friend's father had an accident with a person and the big surprise is that he was an undercover police and playing with PSP while driving! :lolz:

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Regarding about "driver distraction"

During some incoming calls, a better solution of using bluetooth headset while driving so less trouble will happen since your still concentrating while having conversation.

Actually, you're still distracted while having a conversation using a hands free cell phone. It's the conversation that is the problem, not the act of holding a phone to your ear.

While having a conversation, you're basically driving on auto-pilot. Your brain just isn't capable of dealing with all of the data it is being presented with. In fact, as strange as it may sound, anything unexpected while your concentration is elsewhere will most likely be invisible to your conscious mind. It is a condition known as inattentional blindness.

There is a pretty famous psychological experiment that proves this. It's called the Invisible Gorilla.

In this experiment, you are shown a video. In this video, six people are playing basketball. Three are in white shirts, and three are in black. You are asked to keep track of how many passes are made by the white shirts. While this is going on, a person in a gorilla suit walks in, faces the camera, pounds its chest and walks back off. It is onscreen for a total of nine seconds. Surprisingly, 50% of the people who take this test do not see the gorilla! 50%!!!

Now if you explain what is to happen in the test, everybody is sure they will see the gorilla, but the facts prove otherwise.

There's a pretty fascinating book about our perceptions, called The Invisible Gorilla: And Other Ways Our Intuitions Deceive Us

There are other pretty surprising tests that have been done. Such as those in the wiki article I linked to. People walking while talking on a cell phone or listening to an .mp3 player aren't very likely to see a clown on a unicycle ride past!

Basically, even while we think we're concentrating on driving, we have an extremely hard time seeing things that we do not expect to see. I'm sure you've heard more than one reported accident that one or the other drivers states that they didn't see the other car, or the car seemed to appear out of nowhere. This is due to inattentional blindness. It doesn't mean they aren't a good driver, just that they're human.

So why the increase in accidents while using a cell phone, when people have been having conversations with passengers for decades?

When you have a passenger, chances are pretty good that they're also watching the road. They may see something coming that the driver missed.

With a cell phone conversation, these often happen while the driver is alone in the car. No other set of eyes to watch out for impending doom.

Hmmm... Sorry for the diatribe, but I read the book I mention above a short while ago, so all of this is pretty fresh in my mind. :p

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
gbpackerfan said:
I thought they were going to tell us how to survive a car crash (What you should do when you crash), not avoid it, haha!

But proactive defense always better is, Sir.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
There's a guide on how to avoid a car crash now, what next a guide on how to clean your teeth?

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
I was going to say some stupid joke on how not to get in a car accident, don't get in the car, but you could just as easily be in a car accident by walking near a street. I almost got hit by some tween texting while driving last week, she went completely onto the sidewalk swerved back into the street and just kept on going.

V

Vextor

HeffeD said:
Actually, you're still distracted while having a conversation using a hands free cell phone. It's the conversation that is the problem, not the act of holding a phone to your ear.

While having a conversation, you're basically driving on auto-pilot. Your brain just isn't capable of dealing with all of the data it is being presented with. In fact, as strange as it may sound, anything unexpected while your concentration is elsewhere will most likely be invisible to your conscious mind. It is a condition known as inattentional blindness.

There is a pretty famous psychological experiment that proves this. It's called the Invisible Gorilla.

I tried one of the experiments where it didn't list all of the changes and I actually missed two of the changes and half-missed the gorrilla when I really concentrated on the experiment.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.