Guide | How To How To: Block Ads

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Advertisements are more than just plain annoying (which they are).

I ran the survey To Block Ads Or To Not? to see whether I should post this or not and I did!

#1: Block Ads Through A Web Extension

Blocking ads through a web extension is by far the easiest method of ad blocking.

Several ones are:

Adblock Plus (All Platforms)

AdBlock (Chrome, Opera, and Safari)

AdGuard Extension:

For Firefox (Direct Download Link)

For Chrome

For Opera

uBlock

uBlock Origin Original Version:

GitHub
Adblock Plus is great for its no-nonsense interface and its availability for all platforms. AdBlock claims to use less RAM than Adblock Plus.

uBlock and AdGuard use the least RAM of all, and both have extensive user base.

A Word Of Caution:

Some chrome adblockers are phony and actually induce its own ads to replace the blocked ones. Simply Block Ads, for one, is one of them. Never use an Adblocker Extension that is not one from above.

#2: Block Ads Through A Standalone App

This option is great for users who don't like to install extensions, or click install, install, install, millions of times for each of their browsers.

Unfortunately, much fewer applications are in this category. These are some recommendations:

AdGuard (Paid, $19.95 for 1 yr, 1 pc standard license) *Caution: Is paid*:

Windows

Mac

Android

AdMuncher (Freeware) *Hasn't been updated in quite a while*:

Windows

AdFender (Freeware) *Uses EasyList, which is Adblock Plus's list*:

Windows

Unfortunately, of these three only AdGuard supports Windows 10 Metro App and HTTPS filtering. The others only support desktop browser filtering and HTTP.

I would suggest to use AdGuard if you can pay the license. You can get a free license for 1 yr by recommending 4 friends to use AdGuard also. If you are interested click here.

#3: Using HOST To Block Ads Without Any Extensions
Psst: If you don't like manually tampering with your system, check out #4!

Ahh... I bet the moment you saw this you wished you had a method to block ads without the need to install a specialized app or extension! ;)

Now you have it:

Follow directions CAREFULLY!

#1: Copy this file, press Win+R, paste inside, then search.
%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\

#2: If you have a hosts file already, make a backup just in case something goes horribly wrong *gasp* :eek::eek::eek:

#3: You need a file of places to blacklist. The reason why is because an adblocker is just a huge blacklist of places you deny to go to. hpHosts.com is a great place to go to: hpHosts Online - Simple, Searchable & FREE!

#4: Copy your file into the location that was in #1.

#5: Remember to put a .hosts or put hosts in the filename line- we don't want a txt file!
P.S.: If you use hpHosts they supply instructions too.

#6: Yay! Ads, malware sites, and tracking sites: all blocked!

#4: Blocking ads, and other annoyances with HostsMan

You can download HostsMan here.

HostsMan does all the editing for you so you don't have to rummage through your system yourself!

Just paste all content from that huge file that you got from hpHosts Online - Simple, Searchable & FREE! into the Add section and you're all set!

Last edited:

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Its interesting to note that most adblock software is coming pre-installed with an "allow acceptable ads" function enabled at default.
The only exception in my experience is ublock origin which is what i use.
Yes I really don't like this function.

Adguard's checkbox is disabled by default so that's fine

but Adblock Plus I really don't like that it's enabled by default. They should call it Someblock plus.

Caramello222

Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Hi everyone, Has anyone heard of Desktop AD, I think it's a part of Doubleclick, I'm not 100% sure, but it's just as intrusive has doubleclick. I'm someone has heard of it and knows how to block it. Also I choose Adblocker Plus from above and I have no clue how to open it to add lists to it. I don't see an icon but it is enabled in add-ons. I working with Windows 8.1 and IE 11 with both desktop and immersive view being used. Thanks for help. I almost forgot. Does installing google's permanent opt-out plug-in really stop google from cookie tracking and should the same be done at NAI website for other ad publishers?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.