Guide | How To [How-To] Change IP Address on tor browser into specific country

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014

INTRO

Hi guys, I believe most of you knows about Tor Browser already, it's a portable browser usually used for anonymous browsing and hiding your real IP address. I don't recommended using Tor browser for daily use ex : Login to social media, internet banking etc, since tor browser isn't secure enough for that and had a risk on "Man in the middle attack", and tor browser wasn't designed for "security solution" that's from what I read of course, although I never faced such a thing but it's better to stay safe, just in case :)

Also my main reason to create this guide is just for simply help my fellow members here on MT, I saw many members here having trouble with many giveaways, contests etc, which most of them required specific GEO location.

In this guide, my main purpose is to change exit nodes on tor browser into a specific country or IP address, but why we want to configure tor browser to use specific country?
here are my reasons :
- For unblocking geo restricted
- Not everyone can use proxy, also some ISP blocking proxy usage or even blocking proxy website as well (me in this case)
- There are many free VPN out there, but mostly free VPN only have 2 or 3 servers to choose
- Many giveaways/contest required specific IP address, which is impossible for free VPN users
- Many free proxies are slow, I know tor browser is slow either, but in my case..tor browser is faster than free proxy, of course the results may be vary, depending on your ISP/bandwith/location etc

Step 1 : Find your tor browser folder/file

Before we are going to edit the tor browser, let's launch tor browser and check your IP address, mine is showing Switzerland as you can see below

35k3az4.jpg

As you probably already know, when user launch tor browser usually tor browser would likely to use random exit nodes and thus...random IP address as well. So first thing we gonna do is find your tor browser folder, once you found it, navigate to Tor Browser -> Data -> Tor.
In "Tor" folder, you will see a single file named "Torrc", this one that we want to edit, you can open this torrc file using by using notepad, either by open with and choose notepad, or open notepad, click on torrc file then just drag and drop it into notepad you will see something like this.

ehhqg9.jpg

Step 2 : How to tell tor browser to use specific country IP address (exit nodes)

To tell tor browser to use specific country IP address, you need to simply add these lines "ExitNodes (space) {CountryYouWant}" without quotes above "AvoidDiskWrites 1"
Now let's say I want to change tor browser to use US IP, to do that I simply add these lines "ExitNodes {US}" (without quotes) as you can see below

fz7km8.jpg

Close it and don't forget to save it now stop tor browser on vidalia panel, then start it again, now let's check our IP

sqi2ya.jpg

voila!! we did it! let's do it again! this time I'm gonna change my IP address to Poland, to do that I simply change "{US}" into "{PL}" also don't forget to Stop tor browser on vidalia panel then restart it again

o0p1s2.jpg

Then let's check it again!

244csr4.jpg

Piece of cake! it's easy and simple as pie isn't it? just try it and good luck :)
PS : English is my 3rd language, if you see any errors on grammars or spelling I'm so sorry for that, and for well written article sake, please don't hesitate to tell me in PM (to keep this thread to remain on topic) I'll be more than happy to edit it in the future :)

Last edited:

Sakkiko

Jul 2, 2014
Hey, I tried this, but it won't work for me. I attached a picture of what the "torrc" file looked like. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

gT4oBTA.png

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Hey, I tried this, but it won't work for me. I attached a picture of what the "torrc" file looked like. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

gT4oBTA.png

Hmm...not sure..which version of Tor browser do you use? my guess..whether you are using the older version or you are using the version without the vidalia panel one. Also..have you try to add those codes like mine above? (except the data directory)

Reactions: Koroke San

Sakkiko

Jul 2, 2014
It's the newest version with vidalia. I also tried adding them. Either it didn't work at all, or it got so slow it wasn't possible to use the browser anymore (I waited about 25 minutes for it to load and then gave up). Well, thanks anyways. :)

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
It's the newest version with vidalia. I also tried adding them. Either it didn't work at all, or it got so slow it wasn't possible to use the browser anymore (I waited about 25 minutes for it to load and then gave up). Well, thanks anyways. :)

I see..that's explained where the problem from, as far as I know the latest version of tor browser doesn't include vidalia panel, I tried this method with older version of tor (2.3) I believe the problem was due to incorrectly config, I'm sorry to hear your problem :(

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
as my experience, and some of my friends reported, don't too trusted if you're using Free VPN..to hide your IP address.
they will leak your private data. eg..when i make multiple account at Filestream.me they know my real IP...even i'm uses Free VPN.
so nowadays beware...

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
as my experience, and some of my friends reported, don't too trusted if you're using Free VPN..to hide your IP address.
they will leak your private data. eg..when i make multiple account at Filestream.me they know my real IP...even i'm uses Free VPN.
so nowadays beware...
which VPN u used before & which one u using now?

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
so nowadays beware...

Yep that's right fella, it is why I don't rely on free VPN :D
The only one that I found a free VPN that take our anonymity seriously is vpngate (softether) but of course that as long users use it for a good use. :)

Weeboogie

Jul 9, 2014

gT4oBTA.png

I have the same version as you mate. What I did was thus:

In the same folder "\Tor Browser\Data\Tor" should be a file called torrc-defaults. Open that. It should start off a bit like this:

# If non-zero, try to write to disk less frequently than we would otherwise.
AvoidDiskWrites 1
# Where to send logging messages. Format is minSeverity[-maxSeverity]
# (stderr|stdout|syslog|file FILENAME).
Log notice stdout
# Bind to this address to listen to connections from SOCKS-speaking
# applications.
SocksPort 9150
ControlPort 9151
CookieAuthentication 1
## fteproxy configuration
ClientTransportPlugin fte exec Tor\PluggableTransports\fteproxy --managed

Add the ExitNodes {??} beneath AvoidDiskWrites 1 like so:

AvoidDiskWrites 1

ExitNodes {US}

Worked for me.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

vijay_netshack

Jul 30, 2014
i use the proxy server of my college to gain internet access, but since the server is too overloaded here, people here use the tor bundle just to secure a connection to the proxy server and not for the anonymity.. so, is there a way that i can use my own ip address with tor?? or is there any other software available for the same?? thanx in advance.. :))

Booboo

Sep 29, 2014
Hello. I am having trouble with this. Regardless of what I put in as an Exitnode my IP seems to constantly change countries. I got my Tor browser from the Tor site. Says it is Firefox ESR 24.8.1 I'd like have my IP show as Canadian. Any help would be appreciated.

ario

Dec 5, 2014
I have the same version as you mate. What I did was thus:

In the same folder "\Tor Browser\Data\Tor" should be a file called torrc-defaults. Open that. It should start off a bit like this:

AvoidDiskWrites 1
Log notice stdout
# Bind to this address to listen to connections from SOCKS-speaking
# applications.
SocksPort 9150
ControlPort 9151
CookieAuthentication 1
## fteproxy configuration
ClientTransportPlugin fte exec Tor\PluggableTransports\fteproxy --managed

Add the ExitNodes {??} beneath AvoidDiskWrites 1 like so:

AvoidDiskWrites 1

ExitNodes {US}

Worked for me.

i have the same version but this didn't worked for me. there's no saving option and something strange is I always connect with the same IP no matter how many times i disconnect, dose everybody knows what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.