How to choose "The Best Antivirus"?

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Are you downloading unknown software and executing stuff before even't checking what it is and if it's legitimate? If that's the case, no security solution will be good enough. Forget about ransomware protection, start with safe computing habits.
(y)(y)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm disagreeing here! BD Free lacks the advanced modules the paid version has. It's great for its signatures but I wouldn't use it without an anti-executable like VoodooShield. I'd prefer BD Free + VS over OSArmor. And wouldn't mind using them both since the impact is minimum :)
which advanced modules BD free lack but the paid ones have?
afaik, BD free some internet security modules but the main modules are almost identical
except BD free has delayed, non-inducible signature update
also it lacks BD photon, which I don't really understand exactly what it does although I read something about it

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
which advanced modules BD free lack but the paid ones have?
afaik, BD free some internet security modules but the main modules are almost identical
except BD free has delayed, non-inducible signature update
also it lacks BD photon, which I don't really understand exactly what it does although I read something about it
On my system BD free always after two weeks is very heavy. And combo with VS .......destruction. Private ram more of 650 700 mb.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
On my system BD free always after two weeks is very heavy. And combo with VS .......destruction. Private ram more of 650 700 mb.
I agree at some points
When I was testing BD free, it was generally lighter than itself in the past in normal tasks but when it updated, PC was quite slow. The size of update was large, too
RAM usage was exactly like you said, very high

I think BD free has improved and is more usable now but still not the best compare to kaspersky cloud free

noob guy

Level 1
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
I agree at some points
When I was testing BD free, it was generally lighter than itself in the past in normal tasks but when it updated, PC was quite slow. The size of update was large, too
RAM usage was exactly like you said, very high

I think BD free has improved and is more usable now but still not the best compare to kaspersky cloud free
+1 for KSC free. Best free AV and very strong when paired with VS.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
+1 for KSC free. Best free AV and very strong when paired with VS.
actually there is no need for VS because when I used both of them, my laptop was really slooooooow. 1 of them is okay but not both
also VS is not needed
just use Kaspersky free + syshardener (tweaked) + windows smartscreen (+virustotal uploader + sandboxie), you are good to go

for windows smartscreen, use andy's tool (run-by-smartscreen to manually trigger it)
fewer softwares installed is better for performance

Mariihh

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2018
Until today I used for a long time G Data, F-Secure and ZoneAlarm, and I've never had a problem with threats, have always used them alone because arrested for performance, I've never needed to use these helper programs as many use, because it is not necessary, it only swells the system and makes you more paranoid yet, in my opinion is completely unnecessary to install 4, 5 security programs to "protect" a threat that will never come (mainly for common user), security suites with the mentioned above already are more than enough to protect you

noob guy

Level 1
Verified
Oct 7, 2018
actually there is no need for VS because when I used both of them, my laptop was really slooooooow. 1 of them is okay but not both
also VS is not needed
just use Kaspersky free + syshardener (tweaked) + windows smartscreen (+virustotal uploader + sandboxie), you are good to go

for windows smartscreen, use andy's tool (run-by-smartscreen to manually trigger it)
Thanks for great advice!

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Bottom line with me is I've used Windows from version 3, I have 3 PC's & had more in the past. In 20 odd years I've had one infection at large a worm & I found that not an AV - I'm pretty certain I really don't need a AV solution or anti-malware programs. It's in the interest of AV companies to make us feel unsafe. I have multiple backups so If i has an issue easily solved - Going to try this PC with nothing but hardening for a specified period of time :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: oldschool

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
also VS is not needed

i don t know why on my system Kaspersky free is heavy. The most persons found it light. The last two weeks use Avast free + syshardener. Realy is very light with your tweaks

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
i don t know why on my system Kaspersky free is heavy. The most persons found it light. The last two weeks use Avast free + syshardener. Realy is very light with your tweaks
because kaspersky in the first few days can be very heavy because of its slow scanning speed and more importantly it has to collect caches both permanent and temporary caches
kaspersky had a stupid "bug/not-a-bug" that when we restart our PCs, it wipes its temporary caches so when you enter a folder full of exe files, it will slow you down, similar to WD but much less severe. The second time you enter that folder, it won't happen but it will re-appear after you restart
for system lightness avast is far better but the thing I hate about avast is it constantly uses small amount of CPU most of the time. If you don't check task manager, you will never notice it because avast is very light after proper tweaks
kaspersky doesn't have this problem but it uses more CPU when it needs and it's more noticeable

kaspersky is never the lightest AV and maybe nerve will but it slowly becomes lighter every year
avast seems to reach its peak of lightness a few years ago and now it becomes a bit heavier after the acquisition of AVG's behavior blocker

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I tend to do the following;

-Inlaws, Family, Friends - Panda Dome Advanced w/SG Settings after execution of Syshardener. This combo is good, lightweight, protective and dirt cheap. I can throw them all on the same account I have setup with 3 years and just renew it again from portal when needed with legitimate Ebay seller for dirt cheap. So far we haven't spotted any infections or compromises with this combo and zero complaints about heaviness or anything.

-My household - I tend to use corporate/enterprise grade stuff. Mostly because I like the configurability and portal for management. Also corporate solutions tend to be better hardened and use encrypted update channels or local update server I can push from. These solutions vary based on what I have comped to me from vendors. (SEP, SEPC, Vipre, etc.) So this changes up by the year usually.

In addition, I have convinced most family/friends to replace their crappy routers with Gryphon, so they all sit behind ESET and other technologies like AI IDS/IPS so that's probably a significant reason there haven't been any issues as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
because kaspersky in the first few days can be very heavy because of its slow scanning speed and more importantly it has to collect caches both permanent and temporary caches
kaspersky had a stupid "bug/not-a-bug" that when we restart our PCs, it wipes its temporary caches so when you enter a folder full of exe files, it will slow you down, similar to WD but much less severe. The second time you enter that folder, it won't happen but it will re-appear after you restart
for system lightness avast is far better but the thing I hate about avast is it constantly uses small amount of CPU most of the time. If you don't check task manager, you will never notice it because avast is very light after proper tweaks
kaspersky doesn't have this problem but it uses more CPU when it needs and it's more noticeable

kaspersky is never the lightest AV and maybe nerve will but it slowly becomes lighter every year
avast seems to reach its peak of lightness a few years ago and now it becomes a bit heavier after the acquisition of AVG's behavior blocker
Agree with you. But for now i am happy with avast. Good protection and light on my system. Thanks for your tips

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I have to use free versions, so I tried BD for four Win 7 and two Win 8.1 machines (I'm the only one who knows enough about using computers; one knows something, and the other four beginners). I had problems installing it in some of the 7s, and the two 8.1s began to slow down recently. Others either slowed down some of the machines or had popup notifications that couldn't be disabled.

Given that, I had to settle for MSE for the 7s since its ratings have improved and KSC for 8.1s. For Win 10, I read that the WD version for it is good enough.

Reactions: Nevi

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
KFA is certainly the one among the best AV. But its web scan component known to cause problems to many people, myself included. For that reason I currently experimenting BD Free+ OS Armor + NVT ERP 4. One could configure those tools to his liking and offers very effective protection, ease of use and resource friendly.

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

'Almost' every AV has something that annoys the hell out of me in some way or another. It's insane, you install one and after a bit start to notice things that annoy you.

When I find one that has less or no annoyance it's like Christmas.. Only a few offer that to me.. Symantec and Cylance come to mind.

'Almost' every AV has something that annoys the hell out of me in some way or another. It's insane, you install one and after a bit start to notice things that annoy you.

When I find one that has less or no annoyance it's like Christmas.. Only a few offer that to me.. Symantec and Cylance come to mind.

This is true of just about every soft.

However, it is because of this fact that people are so unhappy and disappointed with security softs.

It is also one of the reasons that people change security softs more often than they change their underwear.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

This is true of just about every soft.

However, it is because of this fact that people are so unhappy and disappointed with security softs.

It is also one of the reasons that people change security softs more often than they change their underwear.

True that.

Once you realize most (if not all) are a waste of money then you stop the charade. This is also why I like enterprise/corporate offerings much better is because often they don't come loaded with the same nonsense as the consumer (or free) ones. So for me, the security soft musical chairs is long past. Honestly, Gryphon helps with that giving ESET coverage for the home w/heavy lifting on hardware. It's been one of my better investments lately.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Which one is best Avira or Avast ?
Avast. Avira has better signatures, but the free version of antivirus is bloated with ads & protection mechanics are lacking (outdated) other antiviruses

Avast is less resource hungry, has the agressive mode ( if enabled) . It has less ads than avira, and you can choose min settings when installing avast ( pop-ups can be disabled & offer ads when av gui opened are blockable with firewall)

Avast is privacy wide probably worse than avira, but avast is more commonly used nowadays than avira is.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.