How to choose "The Best Antivirus"?

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I think the question which is the best antivirus is for those who still need a long way to go. But it is also almost inevitable that in the security forums is the most used question, I have learned to have fun with that question.:giggle:

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Putting PC-Mag on the same level as AV-Test and AV-Comparatives.

...Really?

Does anyone have any info that without a doubt classifies PC-Mag as a fraud? That Rubenkings tests are dubious, and should be taken with a lot of salt?
I dont mean what people think, I mean solid proof?
I admit I have not seen anything that seemed controversial, and I would like to hear what it is some base their disgust for Rubenkings tests? :emoji_popcorn:

techrama

Mar 27, 2019
1.Pick software with a high malware-detection rate.
2.Free AV software offers good protection, but paid provides more features.
3.Look for a light system load.
4.See how easy the software is to use.
5.Try before you buy.
6.Don't pay for more than you need.
7.Look for email and web protection.
8.Don't settle for what came with your PC.
9.Microsoft's built-in antivirus products are not yet enough.
C10.onsider multiplatform, multidevice licenses.
11.Anti-malware software is not antivirus software.
12.Don't worry about the firewall.
13.iOS antivirus software doesn't exist.
14.Shop the Best Antivirus Software and Apps

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1.Pick software with a high malware-detection rate.
2.Free AV software offers good protection, but paid provides more features.
3.Look for a light system load.
4.See how easy the software is to use.
5.Try before you buy.
6.Don't pay for more than you need.
7.Look for email and web protection.
8.Don't settle for what came with your PC.
9.Microsoft's built-in antivirus products are not yet enough.
C10.onsider multiplatform, multidevice licenses.
11.Anti-malware software is not antivirus software.
13.iOS antivirus software doesn't exist.
14.Shop the Best Antivirus Software and Apps
1. Detection rates fluctuate.
2. Not all features provide a real purpose.
3. Own a system with reasonable power.
7. Web Mail is more secure for the average non-business home user. Web Protection extensions may provide better results and free to use.
8. Arguable. Not all new PC's come with pre-installed McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky trials. ie. Microsoft Signature devices.
9. Arguable. Depends on the end user. Windows 10 comes with more security than previous Windows version. ie. More than an AV.
10. Family licenses are a waste if you don't own multiple Windows PC, Android devices.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Definitely arguable. Firewall will decide wether the malware reaches it's host server or not. A smart bidirectional firewall can scan the connection and allow it or block it according to the rules. Windows Firewall is fine but it's in no way a perfect solution.

techrama

Mar 27, 2019
1. Detection rates fluctuate.
2. Not all features provide a real purpose.
3. Own a system with reasonable power.
7. Web Mail is more secure for the average non-business home user. Web Protection extensions may provide better results and free to use.
8. Arguable. Not all new PC's come with pre-installed McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky trials. ie. Microsoft Signature devices.
9. Arguable. Depends on the end user. Windows 10 comes with more security than previous Windows version. ie. More than an AV.
10. Family licenses are a waste if you don't own multiple Windows PC, Android devices.

Thank you for this. You covered up that parts I missed. :)

mediator_ram

Level 1
Verified
May 2, 2019
Thank you for this. You covered up that parts I missed. :)

In addition to the above don't go for freebies unless they're legitimate. You could also subscribe for a block of years which could cut your costs.
Go for the one with better ratings in protection, features, the timeline with updates, etc.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
How to find the best AV, bulletproof procedure.
It is very simple and recommended for most users - everyone can do it in a minute.

First, associate numbers for 6 well known AVs (Kaspersky - 1, BitDefender - 2, etc.). Then roll the dice - you get the number. Choose the AV, related to this number. That is all.

After a week read the first post in this thread or just ask yourself If the chosen AV feels OK. If not, then probably you had a fake dice.:giggle:
There are some other good procedures, but they are not more precise and usually consume much more time.:(

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thought this old thread could use an update. Added some info about default-deny, and some details such as more images and redimensioning old ones since that tool is fairly new :)

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I'm from the school of @harlan4096 :LOL: which means performance performance performance. The major AVs all test equally well so from there just focus on which one has the features you want but most of all is it light and not in the way of your other programs and does it respect your privacy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.